What's the must beautifullist?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Nanohedron wrote:Image

I think the Monzani is cleaner looking... :D
Take that! :swear:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
jb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jb »

Loren wrote
JB,

Is that avatar a picture of your Border Collie? Nice looking dog!
Yes Loren, that's Molly. You know, as in Molly the Collie :D

Jack
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

Henke wrote:An aesthetically pleaseing instrument just begs to be played. More so than an ugly one.
But.... Henke.... you play an M&E, how hard does *that* have to beg? :D
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Henke

Post by Henke »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Point well taken Gary.

Now that I think about it, my Fender Strat gets a lot more playtime than my M&E these days, but I thought that was just a passing thing.
My musical preferences do swing a lot.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Jon C. wrote:I think the Monzani is cleaner looking... :D
Pah. So is bathroom porcelain. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I.D.10-t wrote:Used but loved flutes.

Discolored lip areas, wear where the fingers lay, decades of aging with it's occasional scratch yet signs of constant maintenance, that shows that it is a tool of a musician.

That is beauty to me.
Yeah, now we're getting somewhere, Mojo Baby!!!

Seriously, I've often thought over the last 6 months or so, that with all this flute hopping and swapping people around here do, there's never any chance to build up any Mojo with your instrument. All the great musicians can pick up virtually any instrument and rock, but normally they have one main piece that they've played for years, and instrument they have come to know intimately, and consequently they can make really sing. Sometimes these are top of the line instruments, but often not, instead being just solid workhorses of days gone by.

Being that I love wood and metal, and making things, I had a certain fascination for all things polished and shiny, and I definitely let my lust for fantastic workmanship and top notch materials turned into eye candy, get the best of me for some time. However, over time, as I came to think about my own playing, and what I needed and wanted to do to improve it, I came to think of the really great blues and jazz musicians, and the instruments they made their music with. Instruments they had spent countless hours hard at work, and play, on. Instruments that became so much an extension of them, that no thought was given to the instrument itself, with the exception of times where there might be a mechanical malfunction. These instruments often didn't look so great, from years of play and road wear, but man, did they sing. And they did so not because of how, or what, they were made of, but rather because they had that Mojo that comes from getting to know and become one with a single instrument, through thousands of hours of practice and play.

Yeah, I'd buy the Wilkes Pratten that's on Ebay if I had money to burn, but I don't need it, and I won't give it another thought, because I've got a flute that's plenty good, a flute that's got a few hundred hours of Mojo we've built together, and frankly, I'm not interested in throwing that away and starting over from scratch. No sir, don't think so, not when I'm finally starting to get my Mojo workin'. Image

Loren
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

jb wrote:Loren wrote
JB,

Is that avatar a picture of your Border Collie? Nice looking dog!
Yes Loren, that's Molly. You know, as in Molly the Collie :D

Jack
Molly the Collie :lol: I love Border Collies, great dogs! But I don't need to tell you that :wink: Give Molly and pat and a scratch for me.

Loren
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I had a border collie once, went by the name of 'Max.'
One hell of a dog!