You know what I love?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

Nanohedron wrote:I can't help but suspect "Ms." Oyl is really a crossdresser. And a bad one.

I mean, look: flat as a board, and how can you miss those love handles? Poor noblehearted but duped Popeye is always left with a platonic and heirless relationship having moreover to play the parent-of-convenience to little Swee'pea, whoever HE belongs to. Olive gets to have "her" cake and eat it, too. And "she" primps too much. Seems fishy to me.
Ya still haven't gotten over that crush on Twiggy, eh? :twisted:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Denny wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:I can't help but suspect "Ms." Oyl is really a crossdresser. And a bad one.

I mean, look: flat as a board, and how can you miss those love handles? Poor noblehearted but duped Popeye is always left with a platonic and heirless relationship having moreover to play the parent-of-convenience to little Swee'pea, whoever HE belongs to. Olive gets to have "her" cake and eat it, too. And "she" primps too much. Seems fishy to me.
Ya still haven't gotten over that crush on Twiggy, eh? :twisted:
Oh, THERE was a robust lass.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Nano wrote:I can't help but suspect "Ms." Oyl is really a crossdresser. And a bad one.

I thought having a child out of wedlock was a really brave step for a cartoon in a particularly anal period for American society. Calling Swea' Pea Olive's "nephew" was such a common excuse to cover for an all too common indiscretion during that era.

Rather than bash Olive merely for her physical attibutes, I think it would be more helpful if we were supportive of unwed mothers, and appreciative of the difficulties they are forced to deal with. If anyone here would like to become an unwed mother, please PM me.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

"Bash"? I merely observe. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

djm wrote:
Rather than bash Olive merely for her physical attibutes, I think it would be more helpful if we were supportive of unwed mothers, and appreciative of the difficulties they are forced to deal with. If anyone here would like to become an unwed mother, please PM me.
I support single moms...
http://www.tshirthell.com/store/product ... ductid=330
Monster

Post by Monster »

Nanohedron wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:How could anyone take umbrage at Olive Oyl? She's the epitome of womanly virtue.
I can't help but suspect "Ms." Oyl is really a crossdresser. And a bad one.

Aye, down with Olive Oyl, let's stone her!
insert uber smart comment here
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Monster wrote:Aye, down with Olive Oyl, let's stone her!
Stone her? You mean let her smoke that same stuff Popeye does?
Reasonable person
Walden
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Popeye was a favorite cartoon of my brother and myself.
When I started school in 1959 every book I had was covered with drawings of Popeye. I didn't do it. My brother did- and he was only three!(he makes his living doing that stuff now)

Who did you all like best? Bluto or Brutus? Why did they change?

My favorite one was "Hasten Jason, Down the Basin" with the sirens (looking an awful lot like Olive Oly)singing-"Rock Rock Rock, Rockabye Sailor, and a Rock Rock Rock" as they lured Jason(Popeye) to his doom on the rocks.

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

cowtime wrote:
Who did you all like best? Bluto or Brutus? Why did they change?
The change from Bluto to Brutus was due to uncertainty over the character's origin, when King Features began making new Popeye shorts for television. Bluto had indeed appeared in the comic strip (which King Features owned the rights to) but was only briefly there, and the character had been a huge part of the Fleischer/Famous shorts. The 1970's-1980's television version by Hanna-Barbera went back to using Bluto.
Reasonable person
Walden
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Holy Cow. Was Popeye's real name Jason?
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Nanohedron wrote:Holy Cow. Was Popeye's real name Jason?
That's Jason of Golden Fleece fame.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

cowtime wrote:(he makes his living doing that stuff now)
That is so cool.

I like Brutus better because I think Bluto is a silly name.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm