100 greatest guitarists

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Denny
antispam: No

Re: 100 greatest guitarists

Post by Denny »

A-Musing wrote:Tuck..of "Tuck and Patty."
I'll 2nd :D
Monster
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Monster »

Yeah, like djm says, that is merely a popularity list.
insert uber smart comment here
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Two criminal omissions from the Rolling Stone list, assuming it's a "Rock Guitarists Only" list were Manchester guitarists Johnny Marr of The Smiths and Vini Reilly (a.k.a. The Durutti Column).

And what's Richard Thompson doing at only #19? Popularity contest indeed.

My Top 10 (Rock/Pop)

10. Prince
9.George Harrison
8.Grant McLennan (Go-Betweens)
7.Pete Townshend
6.Andy Gill (Gang of Four)
5.Elvis Costello (a.k.a. "The little hands of concrete")
4.David Byrne
3.Johnny Marr
2.Richard Thompson
1.Vini Reilly

Top 10 (Irish/Scottish/Breton, etc.)

10. John Brown (Dingle)
9.Ian Carr
8.Richard Thompson
7.Gilles Le Bigot
6.John Doyle
5.Paul DeGrae
4.Mícheál Ó Domhnaill
3.Soïg Siberil
2.Tony McManus
1.Dick Gaughan
Fingers

Post by Fingers »

Where's McGlynn, Cooney, McSherry, O'Dowd, Brady in your top ten????
I'll have one!!
The Sporting Pitchfork

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Erm, not in it!

They'd probably all make the top 20, though...
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I believe the example has been set. There are so many guitarists and so many opinions on what makes a great guitarist that there is no possible way to claim that any particular 10 are better than any other ten.

How do we rate them? Is it on their versitility? On their ability to play X number of chords? Their skill at their particular genre? Finger pick or flat pick?

I think Brian Setzer is the best Rockabilly guitarist but I think Doc Watson is a better bluegrass guitarist.

It's the same with any instrument except banjo because Bela Fleck is the best banjo player ever.

Oops. I suddenly realized I've never heard Bela Fleck play clawhammer style. He may not be the best ever after all.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

BTW, I have an opportunity to be about a three foot distance from Steve Howe on October 4th in Toronto as he gives an "Intimate & Interactive" seminar. This fine educational experience brought to us by the Toronto Fingerstyle Guitar Association. The night before will be a 2 hour concert by said -- I guess I've been a Yes fan for 24 years and this will be GREAT craic!

We had Tommy Emmanuel here in the spring and he was an absolutely amazing performer.

Arguably two of the world's very finest guitarists.
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
Coffee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

I'm a bit surprised that Satriani didn't make that list. He's pretty bloody good. His play style tends toward the technical and overly complicated perhaps, but very good.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Merle Travis.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

Last night I had the chance to listen t Steve Howe live at the Jane Mallet Theatre in Toronto -- great concert, and to prove my conviction about Steve being one of the greats, I posted a small 29 MB clip here:

Steve's Clip

The camera didn't quite make it to the end of the piece but there's some character development at the beginning of the piece.

Tonight I get to have a semi-private gathering with Steve - 49 others and myself.

Enjoy!

PR
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
djm

Post by djm »

Lucky bass turd! I had the sheet music to his Mood for a Day once, but it was ripped off during one of many break-ins. They always know to take the good stuff.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

One of my favorite guitarists is John McGeoch who played for Siouxie and the Banshees as well as PiL (John Lydon). -To me he almost sounds as if he's approaching the strings from the high end on down to the bass, sort of a backward playing sound.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

The guy that played on Friday nights at the Fox's Lair in Augusta GA. Man he must have known most any song and could play it very well. He would re-tune his guitar every once in a while and play the “dueling banjos” but would call it the “dueling sitars” and it would sound like it. He would ask the room for requests and mentally note about six songs, some kid would walk in with his parents and he would ask him for a request. The kid would throw out a song from a modern “hip” band and he would work it into his set of now seven songs with the skills of a DJ blending each song to the next in a way that they all flowed into each other.

Man he was good.
Edit to add a photo of the place
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
brianc

Post by brianc »

It looks more like a list of the most popular guitarists, rather than the greatest guitarists.

The list is truly a joke if this fellow (pictured below) isn't even on the list:

www.aldimeola.com

He not only plays incredibly well, he composes it, too:

http://www.aldimeola.com/audio/tempest.mp3
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

So DiMeola isn't on the list either? It almost sounds as though it's a bit of a dubious distinction to BE on the list! I wonder if they put Lowell George on there? ...or Glenn Tilbrook? ...I can see how that is deMiola but I don't think I would have recognized that picture of him...just was used to recognizing the photos from the Elegant Gypsy/ Midnight sun time. ...Kenny Burrell, wonder if he's on it? ...but again, rolling stone seemed to have turned into a forum for mediocrity to some extent, like MTV.