Ohh my gosh, is it me or ShannaQuay is way too expensive?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jim_mc
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

Just because I'm a practical and frugal person (ok, I'm cheap), I'm pretty familiar with pricing at the various whistle outlets on-line. All of them are better than any of our local music shops. Buying a whistle retail in NYC is a giant waste of money. I know of one big name music store that sells Clarke originals for more than Thom Larson charges for his tweaked Clarkes!

Anyway, Shanna Quay's prices are not that out of line. Compared to House of Musical Traditions, The Whistle Shop and Elderly Instruments, Shanna Quay fares very well. On pricing for a Meg, shipping included, they are the best by $2.91 (USD). Quite a bit of savings on a whistle that's supposed to sell for $3.00 retail.

On a Clarke original D, Shanna Quay is $13.60, shipping included, beaten only by Elderly at $13.45. The Whistle Shop is $15.34, and HMT is $19.95.

For the Generation D, Elderly is cheapest at $10.35, The Whistle Shop second at $11.19, and Shanna Quay third at $11.65. HMT is $14.95 for the same whistle.

The O'Brian improved is $38.85 including shipping at Shanna Quay, but they're the only shop selling it. Similarly, Thom Larson gets $30.14 for his tweaked Clarke, a Whistle Shop exclusive.

Each place has better deals on some whistles than on others. Shop around and find what suits you best.

Finally, Azalin, I think the title you posted for this thread is inflammatory (aside from being wrong, as proved above) and that it violates the reasonable person principle. I encourage you to change the title to something more appropriate to this forum.

For the record, I have no commercial association with any of the firms mentioned, and in addition, I have never (yet) done business with Shanna Quay, nor have I received any gifts, favors or bribes from any whistle vendors or manufacturers, though I am always open to some.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
24BRIX
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by 24BRIX »

On 2002-09-14 14:47, Peter Laban wrote:
On 2002-09-14 14:03, 24BRIX wrote:I also ordered 2 O'Briain improved brass whistles in D. The cost was about $62.17. Thats about $31.09 per whistle also with shipping included.

Jenny
The O Briain improved D usually costs around 20 euro in various outlets around the west of Ireland. Do your sums and draw your own conclusions.
I don't have access to those various outlets, so what good are they to me?
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Another fight thread!

What fun!
Reasonable person
Walden
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

OP: it's bad form to open a thread like this about another poster or their business. If you think Steve's prices are too high there's a simple solution. Take your business elsewhere.
brownja

Post by brownja »

Maybe Steve would do better to price his merchandise exclusive of shipping and then add those charges on to the total sale. OTOH, some people might prefer his current pricing scheme. It's really his perogotive to choose what he thinks is best and then let the market decide.
Compared to some of the tripe that's posted here, the occaisonal commercial post is a breath of fresh air.
Regards,
jb
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

On 2002-09-14 22:27, brownja wrote:
Maybe Steve would do better to price his merchandise exclusive of shipping and then add those charges on to the total sale. OTOH, some people might prefer his current pricing scheme. It's really his perogotive to choose what he thinks is best and then let the market decide.
Compared to some of the tripe that's posted here, the occaisonal commercial post is a breath of fresh air.
Regards,
jb
I hope he doesn't change a thing. I know exactly what I will have to pay for my whistles and shipping because it is combined. Sometimes you have to search for the shipping and that is a pain in the OOPs.

Also if Steve wouldn't have mentioned to the forum about the free whistles on his site I would have 5 fewer whistles! Think of the WhOa Whoas I would be experiencing now!!!

I say Poo Poo to naysayers!!! Image

Edited for punctuation corrections.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chattiekathy on 2002-09-14 23:21 ]</font>
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

On 2002-09-14 23:19, chattiekathy wrote:
I say Poo Poo to naysayers!!!
Well, whatever the intent, this thread inspired me to order an O'Briain Eb along with another D (my second one). Methinks Steve need not worry about the naysayers.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Hmmm, you see, I generated one sell... You owe me one, Steve. As for changing the name of my thread, hmmmm, I think some people might be dreaming in here. But it seems that anyway Steve doesnt have anything to be afraid of, 99% of members on the board seem to love his buisness so much. I still think his stuff his way too expensive, and I wouldnt have went that far if I didnt get such stupid replies as changing the name of my post. Duh, I think his stuff is WAY too expensive, and I still THINK so. I was in Dingle in august 2001 and I've bought a D O'Briain (sorry for the spelling, can't get it right) for about 20 EUROs. Anyway, the logical outcome of this is that if I'm in Canada, I should buy from the whistleshop if I want to have better prices, as simple as that.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

After reading all this, I thought I'd take a look at Steve's prices, and lo and behold, there are no longer links to Shanna Quay on the Chiff Links page, or the "buying whistles on the internet" link. When did that happen?
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Well, it's

http://www.shannaquay.com/

Dunno about the link. I'm still quite puzzled about the full Generation set, the price difference is so big. I never got a clear answer on that (beside being asked to change the name of my thread). Euro and US money are almost on the same level, US money being a little more valued.
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

Azalin:

I see you think my post is stupid. Perhaps that's because it draws conclusions from stated facts rather than from impressions or feelings. Perhaps you think it's stupid that I take the time to use proper spelling, punctuation and grammar. Probably you're just calling it stupid because you're unwilling to admit you've done something dumb.

I'm not a fan of Steve, or of Shanna Quay, as I stated in my post. I don't know Steve and I have never done business with him. His prices are posted on his site. That they are in range with the competition has been verified. You have been proven wrong. It's that simple. That you continue to argue just suggests that you have some other agenda regarding Steve and his business. So tell us what your real problem is or just shut up already!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

On 2002-09-14 22:27, brownja wrote:

Tripe is good stuff, but it is a lot of work to prepare. Anybody eaten carabao tripe?
Reasonable person
Walden
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

jim_mc,

Well, if it can make you feel better and make you able to go to sleep, then yeah, I've been proven wrong... Now, about my spelling, why don't you use any other criterias, like my country and my name, while you're at it. Stupid you're saying? That would be a darn compliment...

--- go to sleep here ----

But the truth is that I really don't see your point, I don't even know *how* I've been proven wrong, and I would happily admit I've been proven wrong if someone would just give me true facts beside the 3-4 items Steve might be selling at a good price. I think this shop's prices are too high, and instead of telling that my spelling is wrong and that I should censor what I'm writing, maybe you should start using your brain. That's *my* point.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Geeze, I looked at the thread, and it drew too much attention already. I've got my answer as to why would people buy from ShannaQuay, and as to why I wouldnt buy from there. The "censorship" people are just showing up so it's time to let go, as usual. Let's whistle, and continue the quest for a good Eb!
jim_mc

Post by jim_mc »

No one is advocating censorship. I'm simply encouraging you to tell us your real problem with Shanna Quay. Some of their prices are higher than other places, some are lower, and some are nearly identical. What's the big deal with that? The Whistle Shop's prices are high on some items, too. So are Tayberry's, and so are Lark in the Morning's. Look around for the best price on the item you need, and buy from that place. On some items, that place will be Shanna Quay, and on some it will be someplace else.

SO WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM, AZ?

As far as calling into question your spelling and grammar, you called me stupid, not the reverse. I was just pointing out that it seems odd that a person who can't spell or write in complete coherent sentences would call another person stupid. I hadn't taken note at that time that you were ESL. Forgive me for criticizing you on those issues, but I still think you're being deliberately obtuse on the Shanna Quay pricing thing.

And don't worry about me getting to sleep. I'm jacked up on Dunkin' Donuts coffee and I'll be up all night.