Danny Boy moratorium

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Should there be a moratorium placed on the performing of Danny Boy?

Yes!
44%
Yes!
17%
Yes!
39%

Total votes: 18

gonzo914
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gonzo914 »

How could you possibly ban it? It was the theme song for "Make Room for Daddy."
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Jack

Post by Jack »

Wow, I'm surprised to see this already on its 3rd page! But I do appreciate the version Jerry posted. I like it a lot. :)

Did you know that even Cher did a version of Danny Boy at one point about 40 years ago? I've never heard it, and, honestly, as much as I love Cher, I don't think I want to. :oops:
bogman21

Post by bogman21 »

When Danny Boy is outlawed, only outlaws will play Danny Boy. :D
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Cranberry wrote:Wow, I'm surprised to see this already on its 3rd page!
More evidence that some tunes just won't stop, no matter what anyone says about them!
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

My vote is "no", as it is sort of a 'rite of passage', and it doesn't get overplayed where we are.

I get very tired of others, but that doesn't mean everybody else is, so I just play them when necessary and have as much fun as I can. I would certainly not tell someone else they can't play it just because it isn't one of my faves.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Tristan

Post by Tristan »

Dale wrote:Now, "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling"...that's a dreadful tune that has been done to death.
Not to mention that its title gets dragged up and twisted into the headlines in every paper in the country each time that blasted football team from a certain French-named University in South Bend starts 'waking up' their :swear: 'echos'!

:D
slowair

Post by slowair »

HELL NO!!!

Of all the gigs and sessions I've played, I've only had it requested a few times and even if requested a few times a night, I'd still be happy to play it.

If you think of it as a burden, that's all it will ever be to you.

On the other hand, if you think of it as an opportunity to play something where you can invoke strong emotion for your listeners, then play it with all your heart. That is your reward.

If you love playing for others, ya gotta love what they want to hear. Perhaps that is the difference between a performer and a musician.

Mike Reagan
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I just got back from Ireland and didn't hear it once. Like Ron, I use it to test new whistles in the upper octave. And finally, I just plain love the tune, always have and always will. The fact that it's an old standard that is misplayed by some doesn't diminish it for me. Oh, and I also love "The Quiet Man." As a matter of fact, now that we've seen so many wonderful beautiful places in Ireland, we can't wait to see it again so we can say "we were there." Ah Sean Thornton, Trooper Thornton....

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

There was a hit song a year ago that sounded ripped off from Danny Boy, by Josh somebody. Grogan, Groban?
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

slowair wrote:HELL NO!!!

Of all the gigs and sessions I've played, I've only had it requested a few times and even if requested a few times a night, I'd still be happy to play it.

If you think of it as a burden, that's all it will ever be to you.

On the other hand, if you think of it as an opportunity to play something where you can invoke strong emotion for your listeners, then play it with all your heart. That is your reward.

If you love playing for others, ya gotta love what they want to hear. Perhaps that is the difference between a performer and a musician.

Mike Reagan
I'm not much of a player, but I use Derry Aire to test whistles I work on, so I play it (or at least parts of it) many times a day. I've never tired of the tune, and fortunately, Arleen's been very patient (she's been hearing me play it continually for almost five years, now).

Since I play it so much, it's one tune among four or five I can play fairly presentably, so it's one I often play for people I happen to encounter when I have a whistle near to hand and a conversation starts up about what I do for a living (including over the phone with people I do business with).

No doubt about it, it evokes a strong emotion in most of the listeners I play it for. I forget that every time, then when I play it again in the same situation, it takes me by surprise once more and I'm touched again by the response.

Best wishes,
Jerry
falkbeer

Post by falkbeer »

Jerry Freeman wrote:Here's a version I like a lot ...

http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/Au ... mphrey.mp3

Best wishes,
Jerry
Exellent!

I get some very mixed connotation when I listen to this rendition: Belfast, green meadows, love, a beautiful girl, IRA, violence, soldiers, the 60´s...

I´ll take back all about blasting Danny Boy into space in a titanium time capsule!

/All the best
Falkbeer
riverman

Post by riverman »

I learned Danny Boy after hearing it on the Celtic Women soundtrack. I played it for about two months, and liked it. Now I hate it again.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

PhilO wrote:I just got back from Ireland and didn't hear it once.
Funny.

In June I went to day 3 of the World Bodhran Championships in Milltown, Co. Kerry. I didn't see or hear a single bodhran. I was almost dissapointed - except that after a couple Pints of Smithwicks I find it difficult to be dissapointed at anything. :)

Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
C age ing

Post by C age ing »

One of our UK's World boxing champion's father, used to sing it before his son boxed.
Audiences fell to an all time low.

Do not pick on 'The Mountains of Mourne' or we'll have to put the gloves on and climb in the ring.
Played banjo as it only had five strings, so how the hell am I going to cope with six holes?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

http://home.comcast.net/~blackroisin/ws ... ite1039.ra

Needs RealAudio. You might like it. You have to listen beyond "The summer's gone...". :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician