What's an as-new 1999 O'Riordan wooden whistle worth?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What's an as-new 1999 O'Riordan wooden whistle worth?

Post by eskin »

I'm considering putting my as-new O'Riordan high D whistle up for sale, its one of the wood body/delrin (I think) fipple, with brass rings and tuning slide. Dated and signed Pat O'Riordan 1999. I bought it from a friend who never played it, and I've played it maybe an hour.

Anyone want to guess what it might be worth on the open market? I see that even the metal bodied O'Riordan instruments are going on eBay for nearly $500.00.

I just don't play it much, an old Copeland brass high D is my weapon of choice.
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

O'Riordan's haven't had a stable Ebay market value...I'm thinking that the market is small-ish, so it mostly depends on who has the right amount of spare money at the time that you sell.

But I'd imagine you get between $500 and $700 for it. I've seen them as high as $850-ish, but I think that was before they started showing up more often for sale.
eskin

Post by eskin »

Thanks, that's amazing to me...
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Amazing to me too. And the fact that it's almost not been played in seven years would give me pause. Too good to play? Not good enough? Preserved as an investment? Lost in a sock drawer?
I'm sure it's good, and having heard your playing, I'm sure a well-recorded clip will help you get a reasonable price!
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Yup, I agree with Greg. $500-700.
~JessieD
windybaer

Post by windybaer »

I have an O'Riordan made in 1988 that has both a D and C barrel. The D never played well but I did get some use from the C. I was told on good authority that if I returned it to Pat he would correct the voicing, But I have no idea how to contact him. A recent sale on eBay sold the same set for ~8oo. I am not interested in selling, but would like to get the darn thing fixed.
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

windybaer, if you check out the high-end whistle list, scroll down to Patrick O'Riordan -- an address and phone number is given. They might be worth a try. Or if they aren't someone else will chime in and help, I hope. :)

Judy
Pelham

Post by Pelham »

If you need to contact Pat about the repair, his email address is:
patoriordan2@aol.com

He's a terrific gentleman and I'm sure would be happy to talk with you about the voicing issue.

Hope that helps,

Pelham
eskin

Post by eskin »

Mine's in perfect shape, no problem with voicing, and I've kept it well oiled in the time I've had it...

Thanks everyone for all the great info!

Michael
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

I value it at about $15. Let me know if you want and I'll send a check.
heh heh heh....
Dave
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

I traded an O'Riordan C/D set and an Overton low C for a Copeland Low D. It has no serial number, so I'm guessing that it's an older model...maybe even made by Copeland himself. The trade was worth it. I hardly played the other whistles, and the Copeland is the best.

JP
windybaer

My O'Riordan C/D set

Post by windybaer »

Thanks for the feedback. To conclude my part... I was able to have both barrels and mouthpiece cleaned and re-oiled by Pat and now have practically a new whistle (old design), and am very pleased with it. He was able to detect that I had been a smoker from the residue that he removed when cleaning and oiling. Thanks to those who pointed me in the right direction.
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

Pelham wrote:If you need to contact Pat about the repair, his email address is:

He's a terrific gentleman and I'm sure would be happy to talk with you about the voicing issue.

Hope that helps,

Pelham
It might be a good idea for you, or a moderator, to edit this and change how Pat's email is placed there so he doesn't get lots of spam.
Keith
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

i just saw a c/d set on ebay go for nearly 1400.00 :o
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Even the metal bodied O'Riordans...? I have Travelers in D/C, Bflat/A, G, and D, and the Bflat/A and G are the best in key of any whistles I've ever tried; the others are just great. Don't knock the metal till you've tried 'em (and if you do, they'll probably still be just fine with no oiling required). :D

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.