Is "Women of Ireland" trad or copyrighted?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Hey guys, can anyone tell me for certain one way or the other whether Women of Ireland is copyrighted or not? Or where I could go to find out this information? Thanks!
Teri-K
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Teri-K »

When it doubt check the US Copyright page
http://www.copyright.gov/records/

It's copyrighted:
(From the Fiddler's Companion)
MNÁ NA hÉIREANN (The Women of Ireland). Irish, Air (cut time). Ireland, West Kerry. E Dorian/D Major. Standard. One part. The melody was composed by Sean Ó Riada (1931-1971) to a poem by Peadar Ó Doirnín (1704?-1769). Ó Riada was instrumental in helping to revive Irish traditional music in the 1950's and 1960's. It was out of his group Ceoltóirí Cualann that the band The Chieftains was formed, but by the age of 40 Ó Riada had succomed to alcoholism. The Chieftains version of "Mná na hÉirreann" was used as part of the soundtrack for the film Barry Lyndon by director Stanley Kubrick.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Thanks Teri, and thanks for the link! That will be useful.
srt19170

Post by srt19170 »

I searched the Copyright site and only found a CD named "Women of Ireland" that was copyrighted. That doesn't mean that the tune is copyrighted. A copyrighted work can be a compilation of material in the public domain, so that any particular part of the collection is not copyrighted.
<br>
-- Scott
JohnPalmer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JohnPalmer »

Doesn't a copyright last only 17 years, or something like that? After all, the guy who wrote the melody passed on in 1971. I'd love to use that song in Clips 'n Snips.

JP
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

On 2002-09-14 00:06, JohnPalmer wrote:
Doesn't a copyright last only 17 years, or something like that? After all, the guy who wrote the melody passed on in 1971. I'd love to use that song in Clips 'n Snips.
Link from the WORLDTRAD site, under menu Resources->Business: http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm . "When Works Pass into the Public Domain". Depending on when first published, it would be 28 years +. New works are life of the composer + 70 years. Remember that you're also talking about a work in Ireland, not necessarily recorded with a U.S. Copyright. WORLDTRAD mentions additional sites related to intellectual property.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org