another whistlemaking effort

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

another whistlemaking effort

Post by chas »

Actually, it's several, only one of which made a full whistle. Pic is below. bottom to top is a padouk mouthpiece with stainless (shaft shattered drilling fingerholes); cocobolo mouthpiece w/brass (ditto on the shaft); purpleheart shaft w/brass (can't remember what happened to the mouthpiece); Honduran rosewood whistle w/brass; first whistle, in cedar with Asian boxwood. I also destroyed both pieces of bocote from which I was gonna make a whistle and the mouthpiece of a second cedar whsitle.

I think the problem with drilling fingerholes is fixturing or the wrong kind of bits. I'm using high-speed drills, I wonder if I need to get a set of the funky ones with the cutting edges on the outside.

The two hardwood mouthpieces look a bit ratty but play like a dream. Fairly pure, very sweet, not particularly loud.

Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: another whistlemaking effort

Post by raindog1970 »

chas wrote:I think the problem with drilling fingerholes is fixturing or the wrong kind of bits. I'm using high-speed drills, I wonder if I need to get a set of the funky ones with the cutting edges on the outside.
I haven't found anything better for drilling finger holes than 2-flute center cutting end mills, but I don't know how well they would work in a drill press.
Keep up the good work!
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
King Friday
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by King Friday »

Wow, hit me up first if you ever start selling them.
Flogging Jason
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Flogging Jason »

I still stand by the PM I sent you a few months ago.....I'd be more than happy to try one out whenever you feel comfortable putting one in someone else's hands. I can't offer technical advice but I can tell you how it sounds and what it's like to play it. Keep up the good work chas!
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

They look real nice. The holes you have there look great.

I use the same kind of drills for brass tubing and some wood tubes I have turned on a work arbor. I grind drills with a very sharp cutting edge, and also grind some of the trailing edge off. If the cutting edge is lower than the trailing edge the drill acts as a wedge and will split the wood. If the drill is fed into the wood to fast it will split it also. I ordered some drills with the spur from Lee Vally, and will comment on them when I receive them.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

They look great.
Short bio: 1952-
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Nice work Chas! I'd love to try one sometime.

I use bradpoint drills, which have those little wings you're talking about. If you're not using a jig to locate the holes, the brad in the center is good for starting the hole too.
Do you put a dowel in the whistle when you drill? It helps keep the inside wood from splitting out.

I've heard about the end mills that Raindog mentions, but never tried them.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
chas

Post by chas »

Bradpoint, that's what I was thinking of! ( All I could think of at the time was forstner. ) Yep, I'll have to get me a set of them, another complaint with high-speed drills is they tend to leave a little fuzz at the bottom of the hole. I do have a dowel in the tube, and use gage blocks to locate the tube, but always do the initial position bye eyeball.

One more question: any suggestions on a good set of small files for hardwoods, something to finish the ramp and smooth the toneholes?

Thx, C
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

chas wrote:One more question: any suggestions on a good set of small files for hardwoods, something to finish the ramp and smooth the toneholes?

Thx, C
To create the ramp, I use a triangular file which has teeth on only one side. I don't know what these are called or where to get one : Glenn gave me mine.
For smoothing fingerholes, ramps etc, a set of fine diamond files is great. There are some inexpensive oriental imports that work just fine.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

You're still using files Paul??? :boggle: You gotta learn to HAND CARVE those ramps and walls man!

On second thought, I almost went insane in the process of learning that skill, so you're probably better off without the stess and the expense of a hundred or so wasted headjoints. :oops: Fortunately, you have lots of rejects to practice on, when you work mainly in Boxwood. :lol:

Loren
Mr.Nate

new efforts

Post by Mr.Nate »

Chas,

I repair guitars for a living and have made a few whistles. The best files for filing the blade are little flat files with no teeth on the sides. I have a small set of files that are called jewlers files. A cheep set from China is under 20$ The better ones used to be made by the Swiss. Probably a good source would be Woodcraft. Also, I have made little sanding sticks (like an 1/8 of an in. wide) out of hardwood and glue a piece of sandpaper on one side.

Also, like Loren said you can carve it with a knife which gives you a smooth or scraped finish. Violin makers us these kinds of knives to do most of their work for fitting bridges or shaping the neck. I have seen these sold by the Japan woodworker supplyer. I think the Japaneses use them for marking things or obviously a violing makers supply would have them.

Nate
Whistling in the Rockies!!
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

OK Chas

You can get a real cheap set of jewelers files at the Harbor Freight Tool store in Gaithersburg. It is up behind Lake Forest Mall just off of Odenhall. You can also get some nice digital calipers there as well. Have fun browsing.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
chas

Post by chas »

RonKiley wrote: You can get a real cheap set of jewelers files at the Harbor Freight Tool store in Gaithersburg. It is up behind Lake Forest Mall just off of Odenhall. You can also get some nice digital calipers there as well. Have fun browsing.
I've been to Harbor Freight a few times. [rant mode]I went there looking to buy a mini lathe. They had several mini lathes on display, but THEY COULDN'T SELL THEM BECAUSE OF A DISPUTE BETWEEN UNDERWRITERS LABORATORIES AND THE PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF MARYLAND. I could buy one from harborfreight.com, but couldn't buy one in person. There are really some things about this state that I abhor.[/rant mode]

I have some jewelers files but they just don't seem to take off much wood. I had some warding files when I was a kid and into carving that were much better, but can't seem to find any. A few good tiny first-cut or basmati files would be a step in the right direction. In all likelihood I'm just impatient.

Thanks for the ideas, all. Cheers, Charlie
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Milling bits are the best for cutting fragile blanks at slow speed. They will work just fine if you use a 115v variable voltage regulator/triac with your electric drill press. These bits cut from the outside in and are self-centering.

If you are forced to use regular bits at high speed. try sanding the tonehole area flat first so the bits won't wander and choke-up these bits in the chuck so only short tips extend beyond the jaws.

I prefer to predrill toneholes at reduced size on 1 half of a blank and then epoxy the 2 halves together. the pilot holes are easy to enlarge later. The epoxy joints are invisible and stronger than the wood itself.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Re: new efforts

Post by Loren »

Mr.Nate wrote:Also, like Loren said you can carve it with a knife which gives you a smooth or scraped finish. Violin makers us these kinds of knives to do most of their work for fitting bridges or shaping the neck. I have seen these sold by the Japan woodworker supplyer. I think the Japaneses use them for marking things or obviously a violing makers supply would have them.

Nate
I've not found a good supplier yet, but I'll check out Japan woodworker. I have seen a few japanese marking knives, but the one's I ran across weren't quite right for the job of carving small woodwind ramps/walls. We made our own from scratch at the shop (okay, we didn't make the knife blanks, we just shaped, ground, sharpened, and honed them), but it's a time consuming process. The plus side is that you can make your handle from any materials you like, and shape it for your own hand.

All that said though, learning to carve well is really quite difficult, particularly when were talking about maintaining tolerances of just a few thousandths of an inch. I honestly don't think it's worth the time and wasted materials to learn the process for the making of relatively "inexpensive" whistles. $1500+ recorders, yeah, absolutely, whistles that cost many times less, don't bother, files and sandpaper will get nearly the same results. I'm glad I learned the skill, but I wouldn't do it again, just to make whistles, particularly in small quantities.

Loren