Loud Bb whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Flogging Jason
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Flogging Jason »

I perform on the street and I find that my Susato Bflat has plenty of volume to get the job done. My Waltons D is also loud too but mostly in the upper registers. I just got an Overton LowD that I can't wait to bring to the street! The only guff i have with the susato is that it doesn't have the metallic tone you get with (obviously) metal whistles. My overton Low D has lots of volume so I would imagine their Bflat(if they make one) would be comparable.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

I would suggest you check out a Reyburn. They are loud relative to others when normally voiced, but you can also ask Ronaldo to bump up the volume even more when he voices your whistle.

Here's a link to pics and a rreview of a Reyburn Bb:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=38421
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
brianholton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brianholton »

The Alba Bb has a rich breathy tone and carries very well: I'm sure it would be loud enough for you. That's my current favourite Bb, though I'm waiting for a Burke right now.

bh
Jens_Hoppe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Overtons and Chieftains in the higher keys are about as loud as they come in my experience, particularly if you get one with high back-pressure.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thanks. I played a Chieftain Bb in a store. It had a lovely tone,
I thought, but it wasn't very loud. I've never played an
Overton Bb, to my sorrow. I've read (maybe Dales' review)
that some feel it's the best Overton key.

I've played an Overton low D on the street but it didn't
carry--not it's fault. I don't think low D whistles are
cut out for the street. Flutes do better.

I'm interested in the Burke Bb and so I read with interest
the post about these. Might be a good way to go.

Thanks to all.
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

brianholton wrote:The Alba Bb has a rich breathy tone and carries very well: I'm sure it would be loud enough for you. That's my current favourite Bb, snip
Seconded!

My Sop' Alba Bb is easily as loud as my Chieftain Sop' D,
which is prolly the loudest make of whistle on planet Earth.
It is a couple of years old though, and I think Stacey may
have made alterations to the new ones.
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

jim stone wrote:I'm interested in the Burke Bb and so I read with interest
the post about these. Might be a good way to go.

Thanks to all.
In my experience, from loudest (good solid presence) to quietest amongst the group, descending:
1. Copeland
2. Reyburn
3. Overton
4. Burke
5. Chieftain

All of the top 3 you can request custom voicing as well. Don't know about the last two.
Daniel

I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

When buying high end, I would hope that it is just not what the factory makes, but perhaps, one of the makers would make a more high back pressure, low wind, loud whistle. I think that talking to makers would sort out the best.

I wonder if what is perceived as loud necessarily carries the best. I have heard about pure sounding instruments that did not seem loud, but could be heard well.

Sorry I have no practical whistle knowledge.

Edited to remove random capital letters.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
dfernandez77

Post by dfernandez77 »

I.D.10-t wrote:I wonder if what is perceived as loud necessarily carries the best. I have heard about Pure sounding instruments that did not seem loud, but could be heard well.
Yup! That's what I mean by presence. You don't want obnoxious volume - you want a voice that both has presence and is appreciated.
Daniel

talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Butterfly wrote:I have a Burke brass B flat, but it's not loud at all. Now what about a Syn B flat? Anyone out there who has one and can tell something about it?
I have a Syn Bb - lancewood head and aluminium body.
I don't think you would call it loud though its stronger in the low octave than a gen IMO.

It is a sweet rich thing and works well for stage with mike
and holds its own with soft, refined instruments like sitar.

I would not take it busking unless I were to be in a tunnel (subway).
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
picardy third

Post by picardy third »

Jim,

I've been racking my brain and checked my old PM's but can't find anything. I think it was you who gave me a few years ago an old style Susato D and B-flat. I think you had sold me a Sindt D and threw in the other 2 because you such a nice guy.

According to legend, you liked the sound of the B-flat (it is a nice sounding B-flat despite being a Susato!) but didn't play it much.

Does any of this ring a bell? Do you recall the B-flat you gave me? I wouldn't call it a loud B-flat, but again it is an old style (I think mid-90's).

P3
"Have a cluckity-cluck-cluck day."
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

picardy third wrote:Jim,

I've been racking my brain and checked my old PM's but can't find anything. I think it was you who gave me a few years ago an old style Susato D and B-flat. I think you had sold me a Sindt D and threw in the other 2 because you such a nice guy.

According to legend, you liked the sound of the B-flat (it is a nice sounding B-flat despite being a Susato!) but didn't play it much.

Does any of this ring a bell? Do you recall the B-flat you gave me? I wouldn't call it a loud B-flat, but again it is an old style (I think mid-90's).

P3
It's possible. I have, at some point owned and parted with
the instruments you mention. Maybe the Bb had a white tube?

My chief doubt is that I'm not that nice a person.
picardy third

Post by picardy third »

Yeah. The Susatos where white tubes. One has a brown fipple and the other has a maroon fipple (have no idea which goes with which tube since they both fit and sound good). They're the only Susatos I own (besides an E-flat I can't stand! Now that is a loud, obnoxious whistle!)

Sorry, the first impression is the lasting one.
"Have a cluckity-cluck-cluck day."
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

I'll second (or maybe 7th) what people are saying about the Susatos. Especially the Medium Bore types that work so well in this key.

Really nice!
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

I know this is really late, but I have a Mack Hoover brass Bb that is loud and doesn't require a lot of air. I love my Hoover!

~Tiff