Hot

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

SteveShaw wrote:I can eat anything, but cold, slimy pasta salad....help! :boggle:
I'd love to see how you fare with nattō. :twisted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natto
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

SteveShaw wrote:I can eat anything, but cold, slimy pasta salad....help!
Man, Steve, I am so with you on this. Can't stand cold pasta. Not that I have to worry. Its so hot in here my little fridge just can't keep up. I just bought a 2L carton of 2% milk last night, and this morning its curdled already. No fear of anything being kept cold around here!

Its 15°C in Ucluelet today, according to the weather channel. Why can't I live in Ucluelet? No, I had to choose the armpit of Ontario, with the hottest muggiest weather in the country for four months every summer. :swearing:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Tril Bluejacket

Post by Tril Bluejacket »

Here in the Nebraska panhandle, we're in a drought too, with temps in the 100s.

These are photos of one of the 5 big wildfires still burning around Chadron, where I live. The first photo was taken Friday night as the one dubbed the Spotted Tail Fire topped the ridge behind my house, which is near the Chadron State College campus. The second photo shows the fire approaching the college. This particular fire barely missed the college...and my house. It is burning east of Chadron now. All 5 fires were started by a thunderstorm Wednesday night that produced no rain but lots of lightning.

For anyone interested in more info on the fires:

www.chadrad.com
"We are part of a symbiotic relationship with something which disguises itself as an extra-terrestrial invasion so as not to alarm us."
-Terence McKenna
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

It's cooled down now, with a good change in wind direction. The temp last Monday was 'hotter than a snake's asp in a wagon rut', and the fire I was working went from 2 to 62 hectares pretty quick. On a small island.

The panic on Galiano Isle is over now, but there was some adrenaline. Nothing like working under two Sikorski Sky Cranes and two Martin Mars waterbombers. I know 60ha is small as forest fires go, but it was going up to Rank 5 (Rank 6 is, like, Dresden...) and heavy ground equipment was tough to get. One never has a Cat D9 when one most needs it!

All went well, no lives or structures lost (stopped it 40 feet from a cabin), but it was hot enough to melt my bootlaces and turn my plastic watch crystal rainbow colours.

Did I mention it was hot?
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
djm

Post by djm »

Chiffed, I have read that the Stoney tribes have made a big deal of how they used to do controlled burns long before the whites came. If you are part of the fire crews out there, I wondered if you knew if controlled burns have been re-introduced or if there are any plans to do so. If not, have you heard why not?

Thx,

djm
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

How about Lutefisk? :D
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Lutefisk- a little onion, a little dill, some pepper, yuuuuummmmmm
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

djm wrote:
Man, Steve, I am so with you on this. Can't stand cold pasta. Not that I have to worry. Its so hot in here my little fridge just can't keep up. I just bought a 2L carton of 2% milk last night, and this morning its curdled already. No fear of anything being kept cold around here!

Its 15°C in Ucluelet today, according to the weather channel. Why can't I live in Ucluelet? No, I had to choose the armpit of Ontario, with the hottest muggiest weather in the country for four months every summer. :swearing:

djm

Wait, I'm not getting something here . . . my Canadian neighbors GO BACK THERE for the summer. They seem to think it's some kind of improvement over Florida, but it's far more comfortable here than there!

Perhaps you should consider summering in the south . . . it's hot, but, by gosh, we have a BEACH! Also air-conditioning that works.

They do make more modern fridges . . .

I was going to poke fun at this thing, but look what the website says about it . . .
Hermetically sealed and permanently lubricated, the GE Monitor Top refrigerator remains the most recognized and most dependable refrigerator ever built. Hundreds, if not thousands, of these units remain in service today, offering their owners “quiet”, “dependable” and “service free” refrigeration.
Who would have known?
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

fel bautista wrote:It rained today in southern California. I went out for my Sunday bike ride and had to put on a rain jacket. Its about 70F and 40% humidity as I type. The hot spell should be over, hopefully.
How can you stand it? :lol:

Saturday I nearly drowned in sweat riding with a dewpoint of 72F and temps in the mid 80's by 10 AM.

I love cold pasta salad. It really hits the spot on a summer day.

A trick I used to use in pre central air days was to soak a T-shirt in water then stick it in the freezer. After it's frozen put it on. It helps for a few minutes.

Another trick is to go sit in your closed up car for about 5 minutes. When you get out you feel cooler.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
djm

Post by djm »

FlyingC wrote:Another trick is to go sit in your closed up car for about 5 minutes. When you get out you feel cooler.
:lol: This is so perverse, yet so true! :lol:

djm
missy

Post by missy »

I don't want to think about it.....

We're supposed to play tomorrow night for "National Night Out". At 6pm. In a tent. On a blacktop parking lot.
They are declaring a heat "emergency" and temps, humidity, etc. are supposed to top out at the equivalent of 105F.

Hopefully the fire department will be there with their hoses again - I'll go stand there after we get off stage.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

missy wrote:I don't want to think about it.....

We're supposed to play tomorrow night for "National Night Out". At 6pm. In a tent. On a blacktop parking lot.
They are declaring a heat "emergency" and temps, humidity, etc. are supposed to top out at the equivalent of 105F.

Hopefully the fire department will be there with their hoses again - I'll go stand there after we get off stage.
Have fun!!!

I recall a gig once under similar circumstances and it played havoc with our tuning. Especially my flute. The bridge actually fell off the bass in the middle of a song.
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

On that note, I'm getting a bit worried about my fiddle coming unglued.
Yes, I live in Chicago.
No, I don't have AC. AC doesn't usually seem economically and health justified for me save for when the heat index goes over 100 every couple of years here.

Years back I left my fiddle home while I took my kids on a camping trip. I left it in an open case under a bed in a room on the first floor on the northern side of the house with the windows cracked open as much as security would allow.

Chicago must have gotten really hot while we were gone.
The poor fiddle not only came unglued, it looked like it exploded.

I've been hearing theories that Cajun fiddlers tune down to match the accordions but, since there are people producing accordions specifically for Cajun music, I'm not so sure it isn't that one note down puts less stress on a fiddle in the heat and humidity of Louisiana.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Flyingcursor

Post by Flyingcursor »

Yep. We've had it pretty good here compared to most of the heartland.