Italian + French Pipes

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
CHasR
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Italian + French Pipes

Post by CHasR »

HI just trying to connect, gripe, rejoyce, moan, trade licks, tricks, tunes, gig horror stories and basically bug others afflicted with zampogna + bechonnet + biniou obsession. (dont tell me Im the only one...~!) <www.zampogna.org> This is me,(in the h ... ) :poke:
DarthWeasel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by DarthWeasel »

huh?
"Sleep well, and dream of large women"
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Ted Anderson plays zampogna I believe, he contributes to this board from time to time. I'd suggest sending him a PM. His user name is, what else, Ted.

In the meantime, what's with all the non Uilleann Pipes post as of late? I'm not yet to the point of moving them elsewhere, but I am to the point of asking that the topics posted here remain Uilleann related to some degree or another (and Justine's topic is related to UPs... just for those who would cite it as non UP), please. Thank you.

edited to correct spelling error.
Last edited by Joseph E. Smith on Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tjones

Post by Tjones »

You should try this link:

http://www.bobdunsire.com/CGI-BIN/ultim ... aysPrune=0

They talk about all kinds of pipes.

Tjones
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

well, oh well, it was worth a try. Ive spoken to Ted in the past. Thanks. :oops:
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Image So thats ye is it? Nice hat...wot the feck has this got to do wi this forum?To remind ye :swear:
Uilleann Pipe forum
A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Moderators rich, Dale, Alan, Nanohedron, Joseph E. Smith
Slán Agat
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Uilliam wrote: So thats ye is it? Nice hat...wot the feck has this got to do wi this forum?To remind ye :swear:
Uilleann Pipe forum
A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Moderators rich, Dale, Alan, Nanohedron, Joseph E. Smith
Slán Agat
Uilliam
And our Chief Surly Officer, Sir Uilliam of Uilleann. :lol: :lol: :lol:
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

:party: hahahha Ive aged a bit since that jpg....BUT although I could suggest that the UP (especially the regulator idea)is directly descended from the southern European dual chanter tradition through the now lost Sordelinna perfected by JB Riva of Pavia, Italy, in the early 16th century after repeated attempts to make the first recorded double reed bellows pipe (the Phagotus ,developed by Afriano degli Albanesi, also late of Pavia) actually play; ....NAH ....fugettaboutit
.....we now take you back to the regularly scheduled Uilleann surliness...
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Wow... you sounded just like Barry O'Neill there ;)

Patrick.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

CHasR wrote:European dual chanter tradition.....
are you referring to the Taylorini Bros?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Jim McGuire wrote:
CHasR wrote:European dual chanter tradition.....
are you referring to the Taylorini Bros?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

you mean-a Vincenzo e Luigi? :-?
(its worth going to Scapoli zampognafest August 28-30 just to hear UPipers play 'Tu Scende Della Stella') :o Keenan played there a couple years back. I dont see any famous uilleanisti on the 2006 programme :sniffle:
Im trying *SO* hard to stay 'on-topic' :boggle:
cant...hold...on...much..longer....
BzzzzT
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by BzzzzT »

On a irrelevant side here is a weird true story that happened to me a couple of years ago with an Italian bagpipe. My apologies if this sounds like a Lovecraft story.

I found a very very old intact Sordelinna (like a small zampogna with short chanters) with chanters, wax picks, reeds but no bag with an antique dealer. The Sordelinna had a fantastic story and was fantastic in itself. The house it came from was reported haunted and the site of witchcraft and a murder the dealer told me?!?! The previous owners moved out because of supposed ghosts. The Sordelinna was found under a floor board buried in the house and uncovered when it was being remodeled. Now on to the strange part besides the freaky story I was given. The actual Sordelinna had African like daemons carved all over it. Even the wax picks were two were daemon heads. The effect was quite unnerving given the story behind this Sordelinna. The Sordelinna was very old and did look like it was found under a house but still in impressive condition and I could not believe it still has its single reeds despite what it went through. Being a poor college student the $200+ to purchase it would have been rough, and I was scared of the thing because the house was supposedly cursed (probably my Catholic upbringing screaming no at me) so I passed. From what I understand there are not many Sordelinnas in existence.

If you don't believe this stupid story I don't blame you, I question it sometimes.

- Jason
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

CHasR

Post by CHasR »

Grazie, Patrick :)
Bzzzzt; mayhaps you refer to the *Surdulina*, sounds more like what youre describing, is the 3rd most popular pipe in the boot.
If you'd actually found a *Sordelinna*(yeah, heh) $200 wouldve been a small price to pay for the only surviving one, adding in, of course, the price for a suitable exorcism. :devil: