Could we.......??

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

Take a look:

http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~almccon/pop_soda/

I wonder if that map engine might be adaptable to a C&F WorldNet thing.

Dale
serpent

Post by serpent »

We should be able to map things as long as we have the location. Just map by lat/long instead of zipcode.

What do you want to map? Set up a form, get the location, put all stats into an Excel or other spreadsheet, export as .csv (Comma Separated Values) file, and email it to me and I'll give it a shot.
Cheers,
Bill "Serpent" Whedon
Serpent Music
http://www.serpentmusic.com
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Are you thinking o doing a one-time survey or would it be a recurrent type of thing? Or am I perhaps misreading your intent entirely?
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Last year I propose on this forum that it might be nice to have a map that could show where everybody on this board lives. Just to show the geographic scope of us whistlers.

I think at the time EricT said he might take it on but time and circumstances the situation just faded away. Dale thought that is might be a good idea at the time,and had already thought of it also. Obviously Dale is still thinking of it.

We might have a greater global reach than any nation on earth -- influence -- well that might a little different.

MarkB

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MarkB on 2002-09-13 09:45 ]</font>
Gary

Post by Gary »

Is the "other" beverage Sweet Tea?
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Around here it's not "pop" or "soda".

It's "Coke". It doesn't matter if it's Sprite or DrPepper or Pepsi, it's still a "coke".

So, there's your answer. It's not "soda" or "pop".

It's just "coke".

:wink:
skywatcher

Post by skywatcher »

Why don't we do a similar survey mapping where people use the terms "tin whistle", "penny whistle", "Irish whistle", "Celtic whistle", etc.?
"Watchin' the sky, ready to fly!"
Caoimhin

Post by Caoimhin »

I think Dale's trying to publish his own "Dale Wisely Whistle Atlas".

Features:
- Extra large maps so you won't have to squint!
- No nonsense non-political count of whistlers in all countries!
- Perfectly pinpointed location of every C&F board member!
- Perfectly pinpointed locations of whistles by brand!
- Limited edition copies include Special WPS Module (Whistle Positioning System) so you'll easily find a whistle friend!
Cees
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

I thought we already sort of had a C & F geography map thing...I can't remember where it is, but I know I put my info in, and a bunch of other people did, a few months ago.

As to soda and pop, I grew up in Wisconsin and will always say "soda." But I spent a couple of years in Texas and down there, like Sam, everyone I met said "coke." I was so thrown at first...they'd always say "do you want a Coke?" and I'd thank them politely and say "No, thank you, I don't drink Coke." Then they'd say "We have Sprite, Dr. Pepper, Pepsi, 7-Up.." and I finally caught on they were meaning "soda"!

:grin:
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Yeah I remember that thing too Cees but I think it was more like a guestbook...it didn't have any graphical component that I could see.
Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

Oh, was that it? I remember putting my info in and seeing there was a thing to click on and see where other people were but it wasn't working or was too slow at the time, so I never went back to see what all it was.

Guestbook makes sense, I think I do remember seeing that term...
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

On 2002-09-13 11:02, Cees wrote:
I thought we already sort of had a C & F geography map thing...I can't remember where it is, but I know I put my info in, and a bunch of other people did, a few months ago.

As to soda and pop, I grew up in Wisconsin and will always say "soda." But I spent a couple of years in Texas and down there, like Sam, everyone I met said "coke." I was so thrown at first...they'd always say "do you want a Coke?" and I'd thank them politely and say "No, thank you, I don't drink Coke." Then they'd say "We have Sprite, Dr. Pepper, Pepsi, 7-Up.." and I finally caught on they were meaning "soda"!

:grin:
I think we all put in our info but the map is yet to be introduced.

The soda and pop thing reminded me of one time when a couple from MD came to visit and I asked if they would like some pop and they thought I was offering pot and they declined.
Ha Ha. It took a few minuites for me to realize what they thought I had said. Ha Ha.
We have grass here but it's the kind the cows eat not the kind that is smoked.
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
Jim W

Post by Jim W »

- Limited edition copies include Special WPS Module (Whistle Positioning System) so you'll easily find a whistle friend!
Have to be careful here, though, that the WPS errs by a few feet, so that no one can drop a missle-launched plug directly down the barrel of our whistles!
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

It always was Coke growing up around here but since so many brands came out, I don't think there is a standard anymore here in East Bay, Calif.

In fact, I never heard anyone call them sodas or pops growing up in Martinez, Cal. Coke or the actual name of the drink.

I thot the whole Coke Classic thing was a huge marketing blunder because they took a very simple thing and wrecked it.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

It is definitely called pop around here. When I was living in the Philippines, however, it was called softdrinks by the Filipinos, while the Americans living there said "Cokes" (some of the Californians said soda, which to those from where I was from meant bicarbonate of soda). My great-grandfather, from Western Oklahoma, said sodapop.
Reasonable person
Walden