I love my Burke!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Ridseard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ridseard »

daveboling wrote:The whistle arrived in good condition, although some of the laquer on the head has already started to peel this morning.
Could you please describe in detail what's happening to your whistle? I'm curious.
Byll
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

I'm with Ridseard. I own a number of Burkes, and as far as I know he does not, nor ever did - use a lacquer finish.
Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Eliezer

Post by Eliezer »

DaveBoling wrote:
What is the waiting time for Burke Brass Pro Session D's now? I've been waiting 5 weeks for mine with a gig coming up in 10 days that I'd really like to have the new whistle for.
Trust me on this one: don't play a gig with a whistle you don't know very well. I will NEVER forget what I did to the high note on "Danny Boy" * with a Susato that I got in the mail that morning.

* Hey. The gig paid quite well!
"Talk cannot cook rice." - Charlie Chan
glauber

Post by glauber »

Eliezer wrote:Trust me on this one: don't play a gig with a whistle you don't know very well. I will NEVER forget what I did to the high note on "Danny Boy" * with a Susato that I got in the mail that morning.
Hmm... Susato and Danny Boy.... 2 wrongs don't make a right! :P
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
ketida

Post by ketida »

Has any one ordered a Burke recently? What's the wait like now?
Whistling Pops
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Whistling Pops »

I have a couple dozen whistles and my aluminum Burke is the hands down favorite. 8)
picardy third

Post by picardy third »

I was just going through my whistles the other day thinking about which are my favorites. Of course I have favorites for each key. For example, my Overtons are some of my favorites for low whistles, Humphreys and Sindts for my highs. I must say my Burke aluminum low F is another one of my favorites that I keeping going back to. It has excellent intonation, easy to play, a good amount of chiff, great tone. I have recorded and performed with it many times, and it is just a really good whistle for me.

P3
Last edited by picardy third on Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Have a cluckity-cluck-cluck day."
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Whistling Pops wrote:I have a couple dozen whistles and my aluminum Burke is the hands down favorite. 8)
Same here. I also have the narrow and session Ds in brass but keep going back to the aluminum. Got a used aluminum C, black tip in perfect condition off e-bay a year or so back. low price and a very nice whistle.
nomadicfu

Post by nomadicfu »

ketida wrote:Has any one ordered a Burke recently? What's the wait like now?
I ordered a DBSBT from Michael at the start of this month and received it a couple of days ago, it took around 10 days. And a beautiful whistle it is, I haven't been able to put it down.
nomadicfu
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

I'm very excited to hear all of this because I just made up my mind to buy myself a brass Burke D at the week's end. Now if anyone has experience, am I better off ordering from Mr. Burke or from the Whistle Shop, which is about 2 hours away from me?
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Either is fine but if it 's only 2 hours, why not drive there and play them in person?
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I'm currently jonesing for a Burke composite D...
ConnieS

Post by ConnieS »

Burkes are the best of the metal--wood whistles are a completely different category.

My Burke DAN is my favorite metal whistle. Eventually I dream of having a Burke in all keys. I've never tried his composites.
ketida

Post by ketida »

A Burke composite D sold on ebay last week for about $130 with shipping. For only a small-ish difference, I'd rather buy new and have the profit go to Mr. Burke.

Still waiting on my brass D, but it's only been a week. Somehow I can't convince myself that more frequent peeks into the mailbox won't speed delivery. :-?
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

ConnieS wrote:Burkes are the best of the metal
There are some Copelands out there that might make you eat your words.

But yes, Burkes are very consistent. There is much to be said for that.

:)
~JessieD