O'Grady opinions sought

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

O'Grady opinions sought

Post by Doc Jones »

I was just chatting with a fellow that has a Neil O'Grady practice set. He said it was warmer, and mellower than other makers' sets.

Anyone care to opine on this. For me, warmer and mellower is a good thing.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Do a search on "O'Grady" you will find many opinions.
maw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by maw »

warmer and mellower is a good thing for some... but others perhaps prefer louder and brighter :)
The Mechanoids will obey the DALEKS... or be exterminated!!!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I've played a couple of them, nothing wrong with 'em sound/tone wise.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:I've played a couple of them, nothing wrong with 'em sound/tone wise.
But would you agree with the characterization that they are mellower than other sets?

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Joseph E. Smith

Doc Jones wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:I've played a couple of them, nothing wrong with 'em sound/tone wise.
But would you agree with the characterization that they are mellower than other sets?

Doc
No, I wouldn't. Most of that is chiefly due to the reeds that are in them at any given time. I tried one of my "loud" reeds in a NOG chanter, and it wasn't mellow. I have put one of my "mellow" reeds in it and it was mellow and sweet sounding.

I am not crazy about their appearance, but I found nothing wrong with their tone and playability... and that's what really matters in the long run.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I've tried 3 or 4 NOG cocobolo chanters (all reeded by NOG) and found them all easy to play and mellow sounding. It's probably a good combination for anyone starting out, we're all a little self conscious of making too much noise and disturbing the neighbours.

As JES mentions, the aesthetics may not please all.
PJ
Joseph E. Smith

PJ wrote:

As JES mentions, the aesthetics may not please all.
And I mean that in the same spirit that not everyone likes the look of the Taylor Brothers work (of course, I not being one of them :D )... different strokes and all that.
J-dub

Post by J-dub »

Doc, I have an O'Grady half set that I have palyed for a couple of years. I agree with others that the tone qaulity is very much dependent on the reed you put into the chanter. I found (not too surprisingly) that Neils' reeds did not work very well in the rarified dry climate of Utah.

Neil's synthetic drone reeds have stood up very well, and the drones do have a very smooth quality, the bass has a lot of volume to it. I'm sure you could fit it with cane drone reeds and get them to growl and buzz if so desired.

Yes even I have to admit the esthetics leave something to be desired, but over all it has been very good and relaible. The bellows and bag have never leaked either. Plus Neil is a very nice gentleman, and helpful.

I am selling my O'Grady half set it you are interested. I have another half set I made myself and I don't need another right now. There is the significant advantage that I can put chanter reed in it that will work in our shared climate - noy a small thing that is. PM me if you are interested.
~John
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

J-dub,

Good to see you made it back safely from Gaspesia. Did the pipes get taken out at the Rocher Percé?
PJ
J-dub

Post by J-dub »

Hi PJ!
I'm afraid that after a few attempts to get the pipes playing in the extreme humidity I had to give up and put them away for the remainder of the trip - at least there is the whistle. I thought we were the ones living in piper's hell out here in the high desert, but I'm inclined to disbelieve that theory now!
Had a marvelous time exploring Quebec City, what a beautiful place. Did not make it to the Rocher Percé, but had a really nice time at "Park du Bic".
Maybe I'll see you at the East Coast Tylenol?
John