Post 911 air travel with Tin Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PallasAthena
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PallasAthena »

I've taken my high d's on flights several times and it hasn't raised any questions. They always seem more interested in verifying that I'm not smuggling drugs in my SLR. They poke around in it with a cue tip--it makes me so nervious they're going to damage a lens!
Aanvil
antispam: No

Post by Aanvil »

I haven't yet had a problem with my whistles.

They are more interested in my fencing equipment/tools . Alot of it comes up looking like black boxes, batteries and lots of wiring.

Ive seen the xray screen. I'd stop and take a look too.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

I've made several trips with a Dixon aluminum tunable in a Jean Caravello flute bag with a Seery delrin flute, and no one has ever said boo to me.

I was told while going thru once with my trombone (in a gigbag slung over my shoulder, not a regular case) that "you'll have to check your golf clubs". :lol: :lol: :D :lol: :lol: This was before I even got to the x-ray machine belt. I told her it was a trombone and she made sure to follow it in the process until she saw it on the screen, then shook her head and wondered off. :-? :lol: This was before 9/11 though.
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Usually, if I'm carrying a whistle bag, it goes through X-ray, but if I'm carrying a single whistle, i've always just put it in the "key tray" for pocket items.

That's always been fine (granted, this was post 9-11) except in Denver, where the old security coot made me put a sweetone through the X-ray machine.
Alcona

Post by Alcona »

I just went through security in Detroit, to London Gatwick, to Inverness with my bag full of whistles, last week, without even a question about them. I took two low d's , a flute, and several other keys. They went through the x-ray, and that was it.
I don't suppose anyone from this forum was busking in Fort William yesterday.....
Birthdays are good for you;
the more you have,
the longer you live.
http://www.pbase.com/ejcsnapdragon
http://www.pbase.com/hamishcraig/jills_pics2
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

A bit of advice concerning whistles at the airport -- If they pull your bag for a manual search, ask them to put on clean gloves, or they'll be handling your whistles with the same gloves they just used to rummage through someone else's dirty underwear. If they flip you any crap, ask for a supervisor and patiently explain that you have whistles in your bag and that you have to put them in your mouth and you'd rather they not taste like the previous person's skivvies. Unless of course, you're into that kind of thing.

Or just cut your hair and dress like a bidnessman, and the odds are you'll sail right on through.

If you are white, that is.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Tom Dowling
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

Yeah, go know when the Security folks will show any interest in your whistles. In May I went to and from Arizona by air and the 12 to 15 whistles I had in my back pack--in a bundle yet--did not elicit inquiry of any kind on either leg of the trip. Flying to Europe last week, the inspector at JFK examined each one with care--even looking down the barrel of each one. Much to my chagrin, there was no interest in hearing me play. Normally, someone has to have heard me play at least once before they decline!

On the way back from Europe (Amsterdam), not a peep or any interest whatsoever. Go know.

Tom D.
kintailpipes

Post by kintailpipes »

Going through the luggage check and I was questioned about the contents of my pipe case. I said "They're pipes let me blow them and show you" Not funny!
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

Whistles, pfft. You haven't lived till you've traveled with an accordion.
Louigi Verona

Post by Louigi Verona »

tschuler wrote:One of my buddies got stopped when going through airport security with his Burke. When he told them it was a musical instrument, they made him play it. So, be ready with a good tune :)
:lol: :thumbsup:
"If you set your mind to it, you can accomplish anything."
Doc Emmet Brown.
Louigi Verona

Post by Louigi Verona »

Ro3b wrote:Whistles, pfft. You haven't lived till you've traveled with an accordion.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"If you set your mind to it, you can accomplish anything."
Doc Emmet Brown.
PallasAthena

Post by PallasAthena »

I'm flying to Vancouver Canada tomorrow morning and I'm bringing my Alba high D. I'll let you know if there are any interesting stories.
NancyF

Post by NancyF »

I have had similar experiences to those related. They almost always look at them in Tulsa and NEVER know what they are. Once only weeks post 9-11 I was asked to play and I think I played boys of the town and people in line smiled and clapped along with the guards.
Nancy F

Life's too short to work harder than you must.
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

Ro3b wrote:Whistles, pfft. You haven't lived till you've traveled with an accordion.
When I traveled with my hammered dulcimer recently, EVERY security person asked if it was a harp. I think that's the only multi-stringed instrument that most people know, so when they see all those strings on the X-ray, they guess that it's a harp. On other occasions (not traveling), I've had people look at the dulcimer case and ask if it was a massage table!! :-? Do massage tables fold up into a trapezoidal shape?

I've never had a security screener ask about my whistle, but I always travel with my PVC Silkstone D. Since it isn't metal, I don't think they find it threatening. (HA! If they heard me attempt to play, they'd probably quiver in fear. :o )
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

I wonder what kind of reaction my basswhistle would get with the big brass keys. A subsonic weapon?
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D