Post 911 air travel with Tin Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
historian
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post 911 air travel with Tin Whistles

Post by historian »

A trip through airport security at the Ottawa airport with a Sweetone caused a luggage search after my laptop bag went through the X ray machine. The security guard spent 3 or 4 minutes going through my lap top bag andI was wondering what the heck he could be after. He finally found the sweetone in a side pocket, pulled it out eyed it supsiciously and asked "what is this". "A tin whistle" I replied. He stared blankly. "A musical instrument", I explained. He remained silent staring for several seconds and waved me through. I guess a Sweetone's shape might look kind of like a dagger or something. Maybe a high G whistle could be used as some sort off sonic weapon on the high notes, but a sweetone is pretty harmless. Anyone had any similar experiences with tin whistles in carry on luggage? Historian
ChaplainBlake
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Irish music has been a developing passion of mine. In the next few years, I hope to have all four of my kids going on whistles!

Post by ChaplainBlake »

I travel quite a bit with my Burke Low D, Low G, CAN, and DAN whistles. I never have any trouble at all, though I have had a few requests for tunes. :lol:
tschuler

Post by tschuler »

One of my buddies got stopped when going through airport security with his Burke. When he told them it was a musical instrument, they made him play it. So, be ready with a good tune :)
naex_may

Post by naex_may »

Went from Germany to Glasgow by plane with my dismounted full set of Uilleann Pipes (keys, tubes and brass rushes and all) and some whistles in my backpack. The security guard didn't want to have a look beforehand and as I tried to explain to him the content of the sack in advance he just made me shut up. He said that in a second he was going to see everything anyway. So he scanned the whole thing, smiled at me and said: "Oh, a set of bagpipes. Have fun then!" I entred the plane quite puzzled and yes I had fun.
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I have traveled several times with a whistle in my carry-on. I only had it searched once. I told them it was a musical instrument and no further questions were asked.
Mike
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Same here. I've taken Burkes through x-ray machiines at least a dozen times in the past 3 years. No one has ever asked.
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

I talked to the x-ray tech the last time I had a few whistles in my pack. Evidently the finger holes will show up most of the time.

Plus I try to remember to say I have "penny whistles" in my pack -- sounds nice and harmless. :lol:
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
Zoe

Be tune ready

Post by Zoe »

On my way from Chicago to Pittsburgh, the x-ray guy asked if it was a r******r. In "chiff and fipple" fashion I replied, "Good god, no, it's an Irish tin-whistle." The x-ray guy at the next line perked up, "I'm from Sligo, got any Sligo tunes?" Well, by then everyone in a very long line was rapt with attention to this exchange. Good thing I'd already had a beer in the lounge, so I had the courage/stupidity (it's a fine line between the two) to launch into "Maids of Mount Kisco" -- a tune with a US name, but originally a Sligo tune. Got a nice mixture of applause, laughter, and confusion. But next time, I'll think I'll just blow an "A". :oops:
sweet potato
Tell us something.: I am here to change my password and also to see what the market may look like should I decide to sell my lovely Sam Murray flute.

Post by sweet potato »

In a year loaded with international travel, the only place my carry-on bag, with 8 or so whistles in a roll case, was ever opened was in Dublin. Apparently the rolled up bag of whistles looked a bit suspicious by x-ray when pressed up against my little computer printer. The security guard opened up the bag and said something to the effect of "oh, it's just your penny whistles then" as if this were an everyday thing (which perhaps it is!), and on we went. It may have helped that we had a family sized assortment of other instruments to put the whistles in context. In other countries I just told the security people that we had musical instruments in our bags, and no one else asked any questions.

Laura
Buckeye67

Post by Buckeye67 »

Passing through LAX enroute to Australia two years ago, I had a bundle of whistles in my carry-on bag. I was asked what they were, I told them "pennywhistles" and the woman at the machine said "Oh! Like in irish music!". She thought it was cool, but added that it would probably save me a hassle in the future to put them through separately as I went through the gate (which I did on the return trip).
walrii

Post by walrii »

I've told this tale on another thread but WTH: traveling through Tampa with a whistle and a recorder in separate PVC-pipe cases, the guy on the X-ray machine looked at me and said "A soprano recorder and a penny whistle, right?" I was amazed. Turns out he grew up in Boston in the Irish community surrounded by Itrad players. That doesn't explain the recorder however...

That was the only time in three years of traveling with whistles that anyone even gave them a second glance.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
fluti31415

Post by fluti31415 »

swizzlestick wrote: Evidently the finger holes will show up most of the time.
That's my experience too. Two weeks ago, I flew with my M&E keyless. The Xray operator kept squinting and looking puzzled. Finally I said "it's a flute" and she said "OH -- I couldn't see the fingerholes."
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

I've traveled a few times with my whistles -- twice within the states (NY to Texas, Indiana to NY) and once from Boston to Ireland. And I never had anyone even question them. I thought they would when I traveled with the low D aluminum whistle, but no one even batted an eyelash.

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I always act desperate for someone to ask me about them so I can show them off and maybe even play them...

It tends to make them want to wave me through as fast as possible ;)

"No really, I can play you a jig!"

"No no, quite all right..off you go!"
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Wanderer wrote:I always act desperate for someone to ask me about them so I can show them off and maybe even play them...

It tends to make them want to wave me through as fast as possible ;)

"No really, I can play you a jig!"

"No no, quite all right..off you go!"
...no, no...I must insist...let me show you...for security's sake...pleeease...! :lol:
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere