The heat is on!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
talasiga
antispam: No

Post by talasiga »

I love to swim. For me. the perfect summer's day
is a non humid day with dry westerly winds and a
temperature between 99 and 108F
and sea water temperature not less than 70F.

I am afraid your "summer" Cornwall, like your Padstow pasties,
just don't cut it for me Mr SS.
(You can count yourself lucky I won't be visiting)
:P
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

It's been an unusually cool July for us. It only went into the high 90's last week.
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

Hot and humid here too. Supposed to get to 95F today and humidity has gone up. There's a heat alert out, which I guess happens when heat and humidity get to a certain level. We're supposed to check on any neighbors without AC to make sure they're okay. Upstairs air-conditioner seems to not be working well and my husband said maybe it has got ice inside so we've had to turn it off for awhile. No water dripping from outside, so I don't think that's the problem. My ideal temperature would be in the 60's.

Serious fire danger in northern Minnesota in the Boundary Waters area. It's really hot there and there are still a lot of dead trees on the ground from a huge blowdown a few years ago. There are already some fires, the biggest of which is about 10 miles west of where Gunflint Trail heads north, just south of Seagull Lake.
Last edited by Cynth on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
djm

Post by djm »

I guess we all like to b&m at this time of year, it is so sticky and uncomfortable. I expect the Carolinas to be like this every year, but for us its usually just individual days. Occasionally we will get a summer like this one where we go for several days; heat warnings, smog alerts, etc. I don't have A/C. Someday ...

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Around Boston it's been mostly wet for months. Now it's very hot an humid.

One side effect of this is astounding vegetation. Nuisance vines are swallowing everything. Bittersweet, wild grape, poison ivy. It's no fun living with someone else's weather.
fiddleronvermouth

Re: The heat is on!

Post by fiddleronvermouth »

SteveShaw wrote:Of course, you could always come to North Cornwall.
Funny you should mention, I was just thinking of doing exactly that. There are many people to visit on that side of the pond.
"Is that stupid? Maybe. But that's the way I am."

~Bill O'Reilly, The O'Reilly Factor for Kids
missy

Post by missy »

dwinterfield wrote: Nuisance vines are swallowing everything. Bittersweet, wild grape, poison ivy. .
Oh - posh - you ain't seen nothin' till you've seen kudzu!!!!!!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

missy wrote:
dwinterfield wrote: Nuisance vines are swallowing everything. Bittersweet, wild grape, poison ivy. .
Oh - posh - you ain't seen nothin' till you've seen kudzu!!!!!!
Exactly what I'm worried about. I think we're getting southern weather here. I'd like to skip the southern vines.
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

When the heat gets me down, I check the weather in Barrow, Alaska. While it may be mid ninties here in the north east, it's in the thirties to fourties there . . . cold, rainy, or snow showers. Reading the forcast on weather.com usually makes me mentally cooler. It's freezing somewhere in the United States (even if it's not continental)!

I am sorry to hear so many people are suffering with the heat. Keep cool, guys!
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
missy

Post by missy »

well, guess what? The %^&(^%&^% air conditioner compressor is frozen up again!
They came and recharged it last week, and "suggested" we might need a new compressor (I have no idea how old this one is, I've only had the house 7 years, but from the looks of it, it could be over 20 years old), but the service person thought the charge would hold it for a while.
It didn't.
And they can't get here until tomorrow.
And it's not going to cool off tonight.
AND Tom will be out of town tomorrow, so I'm going to have to come home from work to let the service person in.

I may sleep in the basement.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Yeah, it's bad. Almost hit 80 at my house yesterday.

Seriously, tho, my son had his first day of surf-camp today in Pacifica, which is so foggy that they have a fog festival, and it was clear. It's over 100 outside the office where I sit, but it will be cooler at my home, closer to the water.

It's earthquake-tsunami-Al Gore's right day.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

talasiga wrote:I love to swim. For me. the perfect summer's day
is a non humid day with dry westerly winds and a
temperature between 99 and 108F
and sea water temperature not less than 70F.

I am afraid your "summer" Cornwall, like your Padstow pasties,
just don't cut it for me Mr SS.
(You can count yourself lucky I won't be visiting)
:P
I'm afraid that the sea temperature here never rises above 18°C, though my wife has been in there every day for the last three days! We've had 25°C+ for three or four days in a row which is rare around here. That's because we get a sea-breeze most afternoons, unless there's a significant surface wind from the south or east to prevent the sea-breeze circulation from setting up. We get variable weather in summer but if you were ever to visit north Cornwall you'd be bowled over. I'd even buy your first pint of Doom Bar, though I have the impression (possibly completely unjustified) that you may not be a warm English beer man...
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Re: The heat is on!

Post by SteveShaw »

fiddleronvermouth wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:Of course, you could always come to North Cornwall.
Funny you should mention, I was just thinking of doing exactly that. There are many people to visit on that side of the pond.
Well, you know where I am! :wink:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Beautiful picture Stevie!

It's actually getting hotter and hotter every part of this planet. I came form Ireland with a nice suntan, were we supposed to be back as pale as a sheet. Twice in Scotland more the same, I even got sunburnt at an open air agricultural show at Argyll once. I know how lovely mild weather can be but just think of those typicallly hot areas. Temperature increasing will have a dramatical effect for sure with growing desertic areas.

Taken from Google Earth:
I couldn't find a similar picture; however it isn't hard to think that we'd see much more green colour 3 o 4 decades back in time.

The link for Google earth:
http://google-earth.softonic.com/file.p ... =downloads
The button 'descargar' in the green box downloads Google Earth safely into your PC at no cost, but anyway, if you just google 'google earth' you'll find more links.
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
djm

Post by djm »

I don't think anyone is arguing that the Earth is warming up any longer. The only arguments that remain are if/how much human activity is responsible for the increase in temperature. The word here is officially that we have been warming up consistantly for the last nine years, except for spring 2002 and 2004. This past winter and spring were the warmest for us here on record. This summer is not looking like we will get any relief. Tornados a couple hundred miles north of me last night.

One of the wierder things that I saw on tv was an explanation of how they are determining that we are warming up. We are not setting many records for daytime highs, so why would they say we are heating up? Turns out it is that our night-time lows are not as low as they used to be. We are not cooling off at night. Meteorologists don't track temperatures from day-time high to day-time high, but the by the difference between the high and low within one day. This was a new concept to me.

In a way, I am glad to have been born when I was. At least I have known what the planet was like before it started to die. If I had had children, they would not have known the world as it was when I was young - cleaner with less people, more wildlife, rainforests and coral reefs still pristine, etc. Those who follow will never really know how it used to be, so they probably will never really appreciate what has been lost.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.