Heading to Washington and Oregon soon

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Heading to Washington and Oregon soon

Post by Redwolf »

We'll be leaving Saturday (the 22nd) to drive up to Washington and Oregon to visit relatives. If there are any Chiffers in the areas where we'll be who'd like to get together, yak, and maybe jam a bit, let me know! We'll be in Spokane from sometime late on the 23rd through the 29th (the 29th, however, is taken up, as it's my parents' 50th anniversary). After that, we'll be in Lincoln City, OR, from the 30th through August 5.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

If you find yourself near Newport on the Oregon coast, go to the <a href="http://www.newportaquarium.com/">Aquarium</a>! It's great, I love their sea otters, and the town of Newport itself is quite nice too.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

<ahem> I think you meant to link <A HREF="">this</A> Newport Aquarium. The one you've chosen is in Kentucky. :D </ahem>

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Denny

Post by Denny »

and aff we go

it's all a bit fishy :wink:
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

I have to work most of the week, and the rest of the time I'll be getting stuff ready for our vacation the following week. But if you want to pop in to Northwest Seed and Pet on Sprague and say hi, I'll be at the checkstand Sun 9-6, Tues, Wed, or Thurs 10-7, or Fri and Sat 8-5.

Most of the downtown off ramps from the freeway are closed because they are resurfacing the freeway, so either take Maple or Hamilton. Check out KXLY's "i view" at http://kxly.com/map/

Do check out the new gondola ride at Riverfront Park - they've replaced the old ride that was put in for Expo '74 (which was used to begin with) with a nice new one.

If you go downtown and park in the Riverpark Square parking garage, be sure not to bump into the concrete barriers on the outside edge of the parking space. One woman did that last spring and the barrier gave way and her car fell 3 floors and she was killed. Word is that the concrete does not meet code.

If you plan to swim in the river stick to the upstream areas such as Boulder Beach. There's a sewer overflow that malfunctioned near Riverside State Park and raw sewage has been dumped into the river for who knows how long. If you plan to go out to Nine Mile, there's construction where Rutter Parkway comes down to Nine Mile Road.

There's a fountain in Riverfront Park now too for people to run through on these hot days. It's right across from Macy's (the former Bon) where the flowerbed used to be near the carrousel. Nice for the kids, especially on Sundays when the pools are closed. Have you seen the big red wagon which is a slide? That's been around for quite a few years now. Oh, and we have a new convention center.

It's been hot and is forecast to stay that way.

Have fun and happy 50th to your folks!
Charlene
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Wow! Lots of good stuff to know...especially re the freeway off-ramps (since we usually take Division).

I'm so glad they've spruced up the Gondola ride. It's been sad seeing it hanging there empty all these years. I always make a point of going down to Riverfront park. So many good memories...first Expo (I was a volunteer in the Folklife Festival there the summer I turned 13), then my high school summer job (working in the popcorn wagons), and finally my college summer job (working in what used to be the Spokane Area Convention and Visitors Bureau info booth, on the Spokane Falls Blvd. side of the "train station" kiosk near the Carrousel).

Redwolf
missy

Post by missy »

djm wrote:<ahem> I think you meant to link <A HREF="">this</A> Newport Aquarium. The one you've chosen is in Kentucky. :D </ahem>

djm
well the Newport KY Aquarium is nice, too!!! :D
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

The Newport Aquarium is nicely done (Oregon...can't speak for Kentucky). We went there a few years ago, and greatly enjoyed the bat exhibit especially. We usually hit Tillamook when we're in Oregon as well...my daughter loves having a grilled cheese sandwich at the cheese factory!

Redwolf
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Here's another question for Charlene:

My in-laws have given us a check to buy a gift certificate to a nice restaurant for my parents as an anniversary gift. We'd like to make it something really special...the kind of place they wouldn't necessarily take themselves to. My first inclination is The Steam Plant...we had our anniversary dinner there a couple of years ago, and I thought it was wonderful. Another thought I had was Ankeny's at the Ridpath. Are there any other really first-class restaurants in Spokane these days? Or something nearby...say Couer d'Alene?

My folks don't have a lot of money, and we want this to be a really, really special treat.

Redwolf
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Hmm... I hate zoos but don't mind aquariums. Yet.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

The Weekenders wrote:Hmm... I hate zoos but don't mind aquariums. Yet.
Same here.

I should add that, while I enjoy aquariums such as the ones in Newport, Seattle and Monterey, I don't enjoy Sea World type places. Seeing intelligent creatures do stupid tricks for the amusement of a bunch of vacationing humans is not my idea of a good time.

Redwolf
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I can tell my story of how I got back into music. About 15 years ago, I took a trip up the coast to Oregon and Washington state. The Newport Aquarium was a pleasant stop. There was this haunting flute music as background music in the shop, probably native american flute.

When I got to Seattle, one stop was Pike's Place Market. There was a vendor selling ceramic flutes. I thought to myself, "great, I can buy one of those and learn to play that tune I liked so much." Well, I picked up the flute and as you might have guess, zilch, nada, no sound came out. The vendor gently suggested a small clay vessel ocarina. I bought that and still have it. I outgrew it relatively quickly.

Some time later I saw a Clarke tin whistle with Bill Och's book and tape in a store. Since that time I've been playing whistle just about every day, all these many years later.

Enjoy your trip Redwolf.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

Redwolf wrote:Here's another question for Charlene:

My in-laws have given us a check to buy a gift certificate to a nice restaurant for my parents as an anniversary gift. We'd like to make it something really special...the kind of place they wouldn't necessarily take themselves to. My first inclination is The Steam Plant...we had our anniversary dinner there a couple of years ago, and I thought it was wonderful. Another thought I had was Ankeny's at the Ridpath. Are there any other really first-class restaurants in Spokane these days? Or something nearby...say Couer d'Alene?

My folks don't have a lot of money, and we want this to be a really, really special treat.

Redwolf
Well, since our dining out budget runs more to McDonald's than Ankeny's, I'm not a whole lot of help! :)

The Cedars floating restaurant is still in CdA. Commellini's up north on Dartford Drive is supposed to be really good (menu at http://www.commellinis.com/). And I've heard good things about Catacombs http://www.catacombspub.com/- it's at S. 110 Monroe in what used to be a bad part of downtown, but that block has been cleaned up.

Oh, have you been back since they rebuilt the Monroe Street Bridge? It's all fixed up so chunks of concrete aren't falling out anymore.
Charlene
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Charlene wrote:
Oh, have you been back since they rebuilt the Monroe Street Bridge? It's all fixed up so chunks of concrete aren't falling out anymore.
Nope...they were working on it when we were there last. Glad they've finally got it fixed...falling through a bridge can really ruin your day! I still remember the day the big sinkhole opened up on it and nearly swallowed a car.

Redwolf
djm

Post by djm »

Sounds like you have a wonderful tripped planned to a beautiful area. Hope you have a great time!

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.