The heat is on!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

The heat is on!

Post by SteveShaw »

The UK has an exceptional heatwave coming up. By Wednesday it's possible that the all-time UK July record of 36°C (97°F) will be beaten. Of course, you could always come to North Cornwall. We've had beautiful clear conditions with a sea-breeze this weekend, with the temperature reaching 26°+ (80°F) on Saturday and Sunday, and it just might get to 29°C (84°F) in the next few days. You could be having this scenery, plus Doom Bar bitter, if only you were here (I'll buy you the first pint of Doom!):
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

Yikes-a-hootie. That could be the beach-walk to Heaven as far as I'm concerned. What a gorgeous photograph.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Dale wrote:Yikes-a-hootie. That could be the beach-walk to Heaven as far as I'm concerned. What a gorgeous photograph.
We make sure the tide is right, then we set off from Bude and walk for two and a half miles on the cliff-top to a place called Sandymouth. Then we walk back to Bude on the beach. The photo was taken (last summer) about half way back to Bude. We did that walk today. After the hot slog over the cliffs it's lovely to be able to take your shoes off and paddle in the Atlantic. I've taken to carrying a flask of tea with me so that we can do the English thing as we wash the sand off our feet in a rock-pool at the end of the walk. We get conditions like that at the spring low tides, about three or four days every fortnight, but we're not usually both free at the same time! The picture captures the atmosphere of the place very well, but it's different every time we go. I can't think of a place on the planet I'd rather be on a sunny summer's afternoon. Lucky me! :)
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
djm

Post by djm »

We've been having a heat wave here, as well, and it is scheduled to go on all week. It was 35°C today, but with the humidity it felt like the mid 40s. Its supposed to get even hotter tomorrow. I don't need a whole beach, thx, just a quick dash into the waves would do.

My 'pooters are starting to act up with the heat. I've an internal CD-RW drive that has decided it needs to check for a disk every two seconds. Great! And the fridge has quit (of course).

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

Hot here too. High today was supposed to be 98 (F) - I'm not sure if it hit that, but it sure was close. Fortunately, the lower level (main living area)of my split level house is nice and cool, even with the AC set at 80 I have to wear a long sleeve shirt down here cuz I'm cold. Makes up for it freezing down here during the winter!
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

To make Steve appreciate his beach even more (and to make the rest of us even more envious), here's a photo from today's newspaper. The article says the location is Seaside, New Jersey, and I'm sure that every one of the 4,772,627 humans on that beach is having a great time in the cool(ish) waves; but it still looks like the vestibule of hell to me.
:wink:

Credit: AP Photo/Mike Derer
emmline

Post by emmline »

Not my idea of a good time at the beach either!

Here however, at the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colorado, it did beat Steve's high of 97 F. over the weekend.
It was sure pretty though. Maybe not in the same celestial way as the beach in Bude...
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Great photos all. Well, except for that Joisey one.

We are sweltering here in the mountains with 90s and up expected most of the week. Normally this is not too awful since it cools down as soon as the sun goes down, but our humidity is unusually high so it's awful. Tomorrow it'll be murderous since I can't run the air conditioning on my mail route.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

It's even hot in Scotland! we've currently got all the doors and windows open in our office and have even turned off all the lights to try and get the temperature down. hasn't worked though.
missy

Post by missy »

95F today, 98F tomorrow. And it's humid heat.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
djm

Post by djm »

Yep, we're all seeing it; from the Gulf of Mexico straight up to the Great Lakes, and then eastward to the Atlantic. The jet stream is set up in a zonal pattern that will probably keep it this way for a long, hot summer. Oh, boy!

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

missy wrote:95F today, 98F tomorrow. And it's humid heat.
Hundred here, and so humid that Filipino friends just in from the tropics complained that it's so much more humid here than back home.
Reasonable person
Walden
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

We hit 101 here on Friday, 104 on Saturday, and I think it was the same yesterday. At least 100 today. (Approximately 38-40 Celsius.) Swamp coolers stop working efficiently at about 90-95, so it's pretty uncomfortable. I feel sorry for the tourists who wander around the city in that heat. (And for those in the eastern U.S. who say "well, that's dry heat," yes it is, but it's still HOT!)

Susan
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Same here a max of 30 celsius in Ireland tomorrow although we're getting a nice cool seabreeze and won't go much over 25. Which suits me fine. Haven't seen a summer like this for donkey's years and it's a welcome change.
Raspberrybushes are giving us ove a kilo of berries each day, blackcurrents will be ready by the bucketloads soon. Humidity inside in the low 70s which is very good this time of year.

The situation outside just now:

The ocean is feckin cold though so while a dip is lovely once you get in you really need to muster up the courage to get there. And there's a bit of a haze over the ocean too.
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

susnfx wrote:We hit 101 here on Friday, 104 on Saturday, and I think it was the same yesterday. At least 100 today. (Approximately 38-40 Celsius.) Swamp coolers stop working efficiently at about 90-95, so it's pretty uncomfortable. I feel sorry for the tourists who wander around the city in that heat. (And for those in the eastern U.S. who say "well, that's dry heat," yes it is, but it's still HOT!)

Susan
The thermometor in the pavillion at Murray Park where my Lodge was having our anual steak-fry yesterday registered 105 yesterday at 2:00PM.
I was in charge of grilling, so it was probably more like 110 where I was standing :P .

Great photo, Steve! :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown