Whistles For For Sale, What Else?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Offering up for sale the Following:

My Overton Low D and Anodised Low F, plus a Chieftain Low F.

The Low D is a "Standard" Goldie Overton model, not the Big Hole Low D. This whistle has just about the easiest reach and smallest holes you'll find - I know because I've compared this particular whistle to a whole bunch of other Low D's out there. The Tone hole edges are nicely rounded, not sharp, and the whistle is in excellent condition. This has been my favorite Low D for almost 3 years now, even with all the other Low D's I've owned. $175.00 is the cost - no bargain basement price, but certainly fair, all things considered.

The Overton Low F I'm selling is my very favorite whistle, period - I've mentioned this before. It's a gorgeous Anodised Blue color, and sounds fantastic. Again, the tone holes are nicely rounded, as Colin normally does, and the reach is easy with nice sized holes. These cost about $185 + shipping new, when you can get them, so that's what I'm asking. Seems fair enough to avoid the wait. Not to mention how good this particular whistle is.

I also have Chieftain Low F for sale. IMO, It's not in the same league as the above mentioned Overton, however, it's far superior to any other Chieftain I've ever run across. I bought this particular whistle from our own Phil O. who, as I recall, also felt this was an unsusually good Chieftain, is that correct Phil O.? Didn't one Mr. Bill Ochs also comment on it?

The whistle is in very good condition, although I must point out that the holes on this whistle were not drilled quite right at the factory: They drift slightly from left to right as they go down the whistle. Phil O. never even noticed this during the time he owned the whistle, so it's not that severe, but as always, I feel the need to be honest, so I must mention it. I'll offer this unusually good Chieftain Low F up for the price of a "normal" Chieftain Soprano D $100.

Please contact me off board, via e-mail. Thanks.

Loren
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

Tyghre just breathed a sigh of relief as he heard me muttering "Drat, nothing I'm interested in".

Thanks Loren!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Tradman
Tell us something.: Ready to be a decent flute player again! I took a break of about 17 years and it's been way too long.

Post by Tradman »

The holes are drilled slightly to the left? Wow. Mine are too on my Chieftain Low F. By the way, regardless of the fact that I bought mine used in top condition too at only about $75, it is the BEST whistle I own out of the high-end ones I have.

The Chieftain Low F is a great piece to be had!
Eric T
Waycross, GA USA
Dave Copley 6 Key
Ormiston Keyless
Roy MacManus blackwood high- D
Sindt high- D
Various Chieftain Low Whistles
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

Hey Loren,

Just how much HOT air does one need in order to play one of these beauties? :lol:

Lovingly,
JP
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I've emailed you about the Overton F, but if anyone else has comments on Overton low Fs I'd love to hear them. I don't think I've ever seen an overton.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

I don't have an Overton Low F, but I'm forced to admit that I just love my Chieftain Low F. It might be because it's based on the Overton, I just love it. I've bought it in Ennis a few months ago. It just seems to be clogging a lot, but gets better when it warms up.
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Pixyy also has a blue Overton low F and it's wonderful. Drool... :smile:
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Loren, say it ain't so, man!! You, selling off more Overtons? What's the world coming to?

Beth, although they're not my cupo' tea, I've seen SO many posts singing the praises of Overton low-F's on this board that I just expect to see raves whenever they come up.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

I offered a clip of a beginner (me) playing Star of County Down on an Overton Low-F. You can find in on: <a href=http://www.nwparalegal.com/clipssnip/new.html>The New Player</a> page.

<font size=-1>Sorry for the electronic interference that is causing the beeping pulse on the recording. It doesn't show up at home but does at work. I'm not sure what caused it. </font>

Its still an excellent whistle even in the hands of an amatuer.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LeeMarsh on 2002-09-12 09:21 ]</font>
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I think someone got to it before me, possibly. Thanks for the clip though!
skywatcher

Post by skywatcher »

Loren, if the Overton Low F is your favorite whistle, period: why are you selling it?
I would be interested, but last week I just put in an order with Colin for a green one.
Peace!
"Watchin' the sky, ready to fly!"
nickt

Post by nickt »

Beth - I have an Overton low F and it is IMO the best Overton (Bernard agrees BTW). I don't know why, it just seems to vibrate with every note - I think it's to do with the dynamics of air requirement, tube size, etc. For me the high D needs too much oomph and the low D is great but you need swimmer's lungs - the low F is spot on.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

That's correct on the Chieftain Low F, Loren. I have never been a Chieftain fan, esp the older ones that were notoriously inconsistent. At that time several years ago, I had an abysmal Low G (which I think I threw in for you at its true worth, $0), a mediocre (and very loud)C that you wanted for playing outdoors, and the Low F that was excellent (and yes, Bill did once try it and found it exceptional for a Chieftain of that time period).

Two disclaimers:
1. I got the terrible whistle from a retailer and did not take the time as I should have to return it to the seller. I also therefore never asked or gave the maker an opportunity to rectify.

2. These were older Chieftains (but in good physical shape)and may not represent current state of manufacturing consistency. I do have a recent Kerry Low D by same maker that is surprisingly good and pretty to boot.

3. As you can see this was early in my whistling "career" and I had no way to observe the off-line holing noted by hawkeye.

In sum, that F sounded really fine.

Philo
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

The Overtons are both gone.

The Chieftain is still available.

Phil O.,

Sounds like you're trying to get on a certain whistlemaker's christmas list....

Skywatcher,

I'm selling the whistles because if I don't, the repo man is going to take my car - even though I made the first 53 payments with out being late a single time. How's that for compassion in this post 9/11 economy?

Here's the funny part: Right after telling me that I had exactly 2 1/2 hours to make a payment or lose my car, The nice woman at the bank said: We'll be happy to give you an extension so you don't have to make payments for two months, but we can only do that once you find work." LOL!!! Lady, if I were working I wouldn't need the extension!!!

I did sort of feel bad for the bank lady though, I mean talk about crappy jobs: Can you imagine going into work every day knowing that you're going to spend a good part of your work day telling people that you are going to have to take their transportaion away from them? Man, that's gotta suck, no way I could do that, I'd jump off a freakin' bridge first. Sure, those collections reps get paid very well, but you just KNOW the job has got to take a serious toll......

Yikes, enough of those matters already!

Back to our regularly scheduled program!

Loren
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Loren - Just trying to be fair and cancel out the responses in that vein; I don't even want him in my state. Regards, Philo