Vacation

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
upiper71

Vacation

Post by upiper71 »

Are you, or where are you bringing your instruments on your vacations?

upiper71
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Re: Vacation

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

upiper71 wrote:Are you, or where are you bringing your instruments on your vacations?

upiper71
Everywhere I go on vacation. I also bring reedmaking stuff in the event I need a reed that plays in any particular environment. I look on it as both an adventure and an education. :D
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

I guess as long as it doesn't interfere with the "Q" time with the wife - should be okay. :D Cool!

D
magroibin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by magroibin »

My wife and I are going on a cruise again this year. Just so happens to be an Irish themed cruise - complete with dancers, singers and sessions. They encouraged people to bring their instruments, so I brought the pipes.

Last year I had the pleasure to play Out on the Ocean while...um...out on the ocean! I think I played the Rolling Wave and the Roaring Waters as well. Maybe this year the Boy in the Boat would be appropriate... :P
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Uilliam »

magroibin wrote:My wife and I are going on a cruise again this year. Just so happens to be an Irish themed cruise - complete with dancers, singers and sessions. They encouraged people to bring their instruments, so I brought the pipes.
I believe the Titanic was an Irish Themed Cruise as well. :boggle: It certainly had a lot o Irish on board when it left Queenstown and it was built in Belfast :o
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
SEAGULL
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am not a robot. I am person with dreams and aspirations. I actually hate robots. I do not trust them. Help computer

Post by SEAGULL »

A funny story about that... I went to Europe a short time ago. I decided to bring my pipes along for the fun. My first flight was out of Akron Ohio. As i put my pipe case threw the scanner the airport employee's face went pale. I asssumed that he thought i had a gun or a pipe bomb or something. I was wrong! He knew that they were bag pipes. And then he pointed out to me that i had not just one, but several box cutters in the outside pocket of my carry on. :o I guess i forgot that i had not taken out my reedmaking stuff. He was a pretty nice guy. He didn't give me a hard time. We had a good laugh about it (seeing as how that was the worst thing i could have in my carry on). But, i still had to hand over three good knives. Oh well...
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

This actually brings up a question I've had. I spend tons of time outdoors in the summer on various climbing and kayaking trips. For the kayaking I've ruled out bringing the pipes for, wel, numerous reasons. The whistle comes along much to the chagrin of my paddling partners. I wouldn't mind bringing my pipes along on one of our climbing trips though. The heat concerns me though. We have plenty of humidity here, but we get daytime temps in the 80-100's here. I obviously don't want to keep the pipes in the trunk and may at some point be able to convince a ranger to stash them inside somewhere but generally they'd have to be outside in their case all day. Is this a recipe for disaster?

I suppose I could always grab a few reeds, toss 'em in the sun and see what happens.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

misterpatrick wrote:Is this a recipe for disaster?
'Fraid so. If your set is left in it's case in a hot car or in the sun the reeds atleast will be ruined. I've seen it happen, luckily not to anything I own however!

Stay with the whistle. Michael Burke makes nice narrow bore whistles in a couple of keys which are a bit sweeter than the usual blower.... or you can always go low? Might be worth checking out www.burkewhistles.com Other than that you can put a bit of tape across the fipple of your whipple .. it'll quieten things down if volume is an issue.

Schlawn,

PD.
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

That's what I figured. Oh well. I already have a low D and a nice b so I'm fine in the whistle department. Maybe the boys over at Uilleann Pipe Works in Boston or someone can get to work on a delrin/composite super-duper bombproof travel set. I mean, heck, we've got those tiny guitars, why not travel pipes?
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

misterpatrick wrote:That's what I figured. Oh well. I already have a low D and a nice b so I'm fine in the whistle department. Maybe the boys over at Uilleann Pipe Works in Boston or someone can get to work on a delrin/composite super-duper bombproof travel set. I mean, heck, we've got those tiny guitars, why not travel pipes?
They've been invented already...... Image

PD. :twisted:
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

magroibin wrote:My wife and I are going on a cruise again this year. Just so happens to be an Irish themed cruise - complete with dancers, singers and sessions. They encouraged people to bring their instruments, so I brought the pipes.

Last year I had the pleasure to play Out on the Ocean while...um...out on the ocean! I think I played the Rolling Wave and the Roaring Waters as well. Maybe this year the Boy in the Boat would be appropriate... :P
Yea, I've heard about that one! We were thinkin' of going but we just bought a home a few months back..perhaps next year the expense will be put to cruise. Maybe near the Isle of Skye or something like that. My family's from Ayrshire, and I have relatives still living. Sounds lovely though - your cruise//good luck..:)

Daryl