Do I need a passport to get into Canada from the U.S.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

avanutria wrote:
Martin Milner wrote:US birth certificates include a photo? :o
No,
Rats. I feel mildly put out by that.
avanutria wrote:
but you can sometimes get <a href="http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/depar ... dl.html">a special kind of driver's licence</a> without being a citizen, so a DL on its own wouldn't be sufficient proof of citizenship. Since a birth cert doesn't have a photo, you can't use it on its own. But a DL *does* have a photo, so the two together work.
Can't non-citizens use a driving license from their own country?
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Yup, if they want to. Of course they run the risk of encountering a traffic cop who's never heard of the place...
the link I referred to wrote:Can foreign nationals who are temporarily in the U.S. drive on their licenses from their home country?
Yes. This new law does not change the fact that a foreign national who is temporarily residing in Illinois may continue to drive on a valid driver's license from his/her home country.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

dubhlinn wrote:Well my sister was born in Los Angeles about forty four years ago and her birth cert has her footprints on it.

Strange, eh?

Slan,
D.
This isn't something that is done is all countries? I don't know why (maybe it's the American in me :P ), but I just assumed that everyone did.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Mine doesn't have footprints on it. It might no longer be done, or it might vary by state.

Edited to add - Izzy, how about this one: unless you get the new style, a UK driver's licence is a big piece of paper without a photo on it.
Last edited by avanutria on Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

avanutria wrote:Mine doesn't have footprints on it. It might no longer be done, or it might vary by state.
Maybe it depends on the state of your feet.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Doogie

Re: Do I need a passport to get into Canada from the U.S.

Post by Doogie »

Walden wrote:
Doogie wrote:I'm traveling to Canada in about 5 weeks and thought I just needed my birth certificate. Not sure...
You now need a passport to get into Oklahoma from Texas... definitely worth it.

This is not true, I go to Oklahoma to visit family all the time, you don't have to have a passport to move about the United States...
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

If it were anything to do with me, y'all would need passports to get into Cornwall. Emmets, the lot of you! :D
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Doogie wrote:
Walden wrote:
Doogie wrote:I'm traveling to Canada in about 5 weeks and thought I just needed my birth certificate. Not sure...

This is not true, I go to Oklahoma to visit family all the time, you don't have to have a passport to move about the United States...
That was intended to be a joke, I believe.

Regarding footprints on birth certificates...that varies from state to state. Most states do take footprints, but they're not often on the birth certificate itself. Neither mine (California) nor my daughter's (North Carolina) have footprints on them.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

My son's hospital gave us a non-legal "vanity" birth certificate with footprints on it. The official state document does not have them. My old original birth certificate that my mom got when I was born (which I still have) didn't have them either.
djm

Post by djm »

dubhlinn wrote:Well my sister was born in Los Angeles about forty four years ago and her birth cert has her footprints on it.
I've got two silhouettes on the shade. Wanna trade? :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

A biker guy I used to work with was so thrilled when his first child was born that he had a tattoo of his daughter's foot print (as it appeared on the birth certificate) put on his arm.

I congradulated him on being a new daddy
but cautioned him not to have a big family because he'd end up looking like he'd been stomped by radioactive babies.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Martin Milner wrote:
avanutria wrote:Mine doesn't have footprints on it. It might no longer be done, or it might vary by state.
Maybe it depends on the state of your feet.
:lol:

You know, I was thinking more about this and I think that my kids' BC's don't have their foot prints. I think it's on the certificates they got from the hospital.

And ava, do you have on old style license or a new style one? I think that some big piece of paper would drive me nutso (I'm sure I'd lose it)...although I could do without my picture being on there :wink: Besides, where do you put that lovely little magnetic strip on the piece of paper that holds all of your vital information on it (like how often you go out to eat, where you do your grocery shopping, what brand of toothpaste you use)? :P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

izzarina wrote:And ava, do you have on old style license or a new style one? I think that some big piece of paper would drive me nutso (I'm sure I'd lose it)...although I could do without my picture being on there :wink: Besides, where do you put that lovely little magnetic strip on the piece of paper that holds all of your vital information on it (like how often you go out to eat, where you do your grocery shopping, what brand of toothpaste you use)? :P
Neither, I don't have a licence here. (But we don't have a car either, so I don't need one.) My US licence is still in my maiden name because I can't change it except in person, and I don't see myself flying to the northwest to do that anytime soon!!

Martin's licence is old-style and I didn't believe that it was a driving licence the first time I saw it.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Ava wrote:
Martin's licence is old-style and I didn't believe that it was a driving licence the first time I saw it.
Now would that be on parchment? :D

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Doogie wrote:
Walden wrote:

Ding ding ding. We have a winner!!!
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm