Embouchure

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Embouchure

Post by I.D.10-t »

Oval Vs round. It seems that the discussion of Rectangular Vs. oval seems to be about volume VS flexibility, is the same true about oval Vs round? Traversos (sp?) have the ability to cross finger in tune, but would that change if they had oval embouchure?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

I used to associate a larger rectangular embouchure with more volume and projection and a smaller, oval embouchure with a sweeter sound.

However, my Hamilton is by far the loudest and most projective flute I have played, and has a normal-sized, actually slightly smallish oval embouchure.

Now I have revised my thinking, so that I am convinced that it is the cut of the embouchure rather than its shape or area that has the most effect on the tone and volume of the flute.

I would say that the ability to consistently make that crucial cut separates the very finest makers from their peers, perhaps more than any other aspect of their handiwork.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

The A. Grenser and other late-baroque/roccoco/early-classical traversos had oval embouchures, but they were still quite small. I think the main thing this allows vs. the tiny circular embouchure is the ability to push the flute just a bit more to allow more volume and a tad more variation to the sound.

I don't know as the embouchure size/shape has as much to do with cross-fingering as the bore profile and tonehole size and placement. My Noy flute has a pretty standard embouchure, comparable to an Olwell, Schultz, Hammy, etc., but cross-fingers as well as my Grenser copy.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

In Quantz's centuries old book about flute playing, written when traversos were all there were, he said that people with very thin lips were best-suited to flute-playing, and that people (like me) with larger lips should be strongly discouraged from playing the flute. Embouchure holes were round (circle, pretty much) and small then.

I think that the wider the blowing edge, the easier it is to hit it right and get a focused tone, especially for beginners or people with large lips. That said, the wider the blowing edge, the more sweetness you lose, in favor of power.

I like oval embouchures best. I think they have the best combination of ease, sweetness and power. When I was just starting on the flute, I liked rounded rectangle best, because it was easier to strike.
~JessieD
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

When I was 13 I asked my orthodontist if I might study
flute. He took out a book, 'Deformities Caused By Musical
Instruments,' and explained that flute playing would
shrink my upper lip, making me look like a woodchuck.
So I put off playing flutes till I was 60--it hardly matters,
at my age, what I look like.

About Quantz's theory. I have
thick lips and I seem to do fine with small circular
embouchures. Not that one case proves much, but
there it is, anyhow. At least I did well until my
upper lip shrunk, as the muscles thickened.
I've grown a long, thick mustache, to hide
the deformity.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I have never heard any complaints about my lips (appearance or performance). I am certain that flute-playing helps, rather than hinders, my lip-related endeavors. ;)

While I am under 60 (I will be 30 next month), I, too, waited until adulthood to start playing the flute. I hadn't set out to avoid the flute during childhood and adolescence...it just caught my attention in my early twenties.
~JessieD
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: Embouchure

Post by Jon C. »

I.D.10-t wrote:Oval Vs round. It seems that the discussion of Rectangular Vs. oval seems to be about volume VS flexibility, is the same true about oval Vs round? Traversos (sp?) have the ability to cross finger in tune, but would that change if they had oval embouchure?
The round Emb. hole needs a more focused air stream. The rounded rectangle is the most ofgiving. As far as cross fingering Traverso flutes, it is the small tone holes that help with this.
Jon
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

[quote="jim stone"]When I was 13 I asked my orthodontist if I might study

please don't give me the name of the dentist or the author of the book, i would be too inclined to find them and to show them the deformities the can be caused by books getting slammed repeatedly upside their heads. this is so wrong on so many levels. if their ignorance continued, i hope they died lonely and without music at their funerals. ok, i'm not that cruel hearted but i sure would like to give them a good cussing out.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Jumbuk

Post by Jumbuk »

jim stone wrote:When I was 13 I asked my orthodontist if I might study
My theory is that this is what is behind the popularity of the flute beard (and, by implication, the Flute Beard TM).
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

JessieK wrote:I have never heard any complaints about my lips (appearance or performance). I am certain that flute-playing helps, rather than hinders, my lip-related endeavors. ;)

While I am under 60 (I will be 30 next month), I, too, waited until adulthood to start playing the flute. I hadn't set out to avoid the flute during childhood and adolescence...it just caught my attention in my early twenties.

and just think....how much more "interesting" your teen endeavors might've been had you begun flute at age 10

;-)
Il Friscaletto

Post by Il Friscaletto »

jim stone wrote:When I was 13 I asked my orthodontist if I might study
Might be useful to get a copy of that book, in case there is some wiz-kid at your local session who is annoyingly good. "Hey kid, you play that flute pretty well, but if you keep it up..."

;)