Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd, dies

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd, dies

Post by Tony »

dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

I caught this sad news on the BBC Newspage just before logging on to the Chiff.
Every time I hear mention of Sid, I am reminded of Frosts great verse..

"I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference."

Before The Dark side, and all that Wall stuff was Sid.

He laid the foundation of what was to become an Empire.

May he finally find the Peace and Truth he sought in life.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

Wow. Syd was such a complex yet simple person. I'm glad he was well taken care of from the royalties. So many stories I heard about Syd's (Roger's) insanity in the studio sessions in the late 60's. Shine on you crazy diamond - you were loved and gave the world some beautiful creativity. Thanks for inspiring me when I was a kid!
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
flanum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

Most people probably thought Syd was dead already. He had been living in his parents basement for the last 35 years or so, if the stories are correct. I like the one about Syd showing up uninvited at the 'Wish You Were Here' recording sessions, while 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' was being recorded.
Supposedly nobody recognized him, as he had become very fat and had shaved his eyebrows.
Denny

Post by Denny »

I've got a bike
you can ride it
if you like.
:cry:
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

:( Now we'll never find out which one's Pink.

I'm still amazed at how storied the band's history is...
They don't make bands like that anymore.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

The double DVD Pulse II was released in Canada today.
PJ
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Tremendous loss of a tremendous talent. One by one my boyhood heros are passing on. Rest in peace Mr. Barrett.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Sad news although not all that much of a shock. There are some good documentaries out there about Syd-era Floyd and fans should check out his solo stuff.

I really like the first Floyd album. Although back then I was more of a Soft Machine fan, and I still love Robert Wyatt, I kept buying the early Floyd albums expecting them to come up with something good fairly soon. It took them a long time, really. Just before 'Dark Side,' and after a few disappointing live concerts, I gave up on them. (I've only gone back to enjoy their now classic late 70s albums recently.) This attitude would probably strike fans a bit younger than me as really odd, but Floyd really did take much longer than a lot of other prog bands to start to make interesting stuff after Syd departed. I know quite a few prog fans and musicians who thought Floyd were on their last chance with Atom Heart Mother and that they blew it. That was my view. There were loads of bands around at that time, and although few delivered with every album, lots got one in every two or three right.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

omg rip syd
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

RIP, Sid. Hope you find some peace of mind.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
djm

Post by djm »

I suspect it was the chemicals that preserved his body for this long. Some of the stories I've read of Syd after his departure from PF were pretty sad/macabre. Syd hasn't been home for a very long time.

'Fraid I can't agree with Wombat's tastes. I loved all PF's albums, especially side 2 of Atom Heart Mother. Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast has always been a favourite.

Pulse is tolerable, but Delicate Sound of Thunder has always been my favourite of their concert films. It cheeses me off no end that it was never released here on DVD.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Alan
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

I'm not sure what prompted me to pick up "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" album all those years ago but I am so glad I did.

Syd's songs were amazing.

That cat's something I still can't explain...
Alan
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

djm wrote: Pulse is tolerable, but Delicate Sound of Thunder has always been my favourite of their concert films.
I've always been partial to 'Live at Pompeii' ('73?). The only time I've seen a dog played as an instrument.