Boat people knows how to Party

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Boat people knows how to Party

Post by Henke »

I was at a gig last night at a Boat Club/Marina or something. They had some sort of party there. They had one of the members daughers Punk/Cover band playing a couple of tunes, before we went on stage. First time I can think of that we've had an opening act, which was really fun :) They weren't too good though, in fact they were quite terrible, but that was fine. It really took some of the pressure off off us to make a brilliant act when these guys had just been on stage.
I didn't really know what to expect when I heard that we were playing a Marina Hopefully some rich boat people would have brought their cute daughters with them or something. I would have thought a club like that to be pretty stiff.
But man when we started playing. I couldn't believe it, I'm lost for words. That was the best frikkin' gig I've ever had. People were dancing on the tables. Sometimes I wished I had brought ear plugs, not because the music was too loud where we stood, but for the audience after each tune :)
We played our reportoire in two sets, we were on stage for the best part of two hours. After that we went off stage. But after an hour or so some of us started doing some covers and stuff, and we were changing places with each other so there were always at least two people on stage, sometimes 4 or 5. That went on for most of the night. People were amazing.
Unfortunately, we only got more and more drunk. Today I sort of wish we would have stoped an hour or so earlier. The music kept getting worse and worse, but that didn't matter too much.

Something I just remembered now: I also got the most outrageous compliment I've ever heard last night. One old chap comes up to me when I was standing outside and started to compliment our music. I always love to get compliments, but (not to brag or anything) we get that a lot. Mainly I think because we are probably the youngest Irish/Celtic folk music band in the country, and the only one in our area. People aren't used to see the stuff, but they love it when they see it.
Anyway, he was giving me the usual compliments, and then he just said: "You were the best, nothing else to say." And I was like "Thanks very much man, I appreciate"
Then he went on "No really, you were the best. I've seen Johnny Cash live, I've seen Bob Dylan, Jerry Lee Lewis, I saw Kiss and so on. And you were the best I've seen."

:lol: :-? :boggle: 8) :party: :lol: :-?

What do you say to something like that? I didn't take him that seriously.

Just had to share this great experience. It was totaly the greatest gig this year. Wow
Anyone else had a great gigg lately they would like to share with us?
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Henke wrote:What do you say to something like that?
You compliment him on his great taste and ask him if he remembered to take his medication. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

djm wrote:
Henke wrote:What do you say to something like that?
You compliment him on his great taste and ask him if he remembered to take his medication. :wink:

djm
... in addition to putting out your hand... for a generous gratuity. :wink: :lol:
Cynth

Re: Boat people knows how to Party

Post by Cynth »

Henke wrote: Something I just remembered now: I also got the most outrageous compliment I've ever heard last night. One old chap comes up to me when I was standing outside and started to compliment our music. I always love to get compliments, but (not to brag or anything) we get that a lot. Mainly I think because we are probably the youngest Irish/Celtic folk music band in the country, and the only one in our area. People aren't used to see the stuff, but they love it when they see it.
Anyway, he was giving me the usual compliments, and then he just said: "You were the best, nothing else to say." And I was like "Thanks very much man, I appreciate"
Then he went on "No really, you were the best. I've seen Johnny Cash live, I've seen Bob Dylan, Jerry Lee Lewis, I saw Kiss and so on. And you were the best I've seen."

:lol: :-? :boggle: 8) :party: :lol: :-?

What do you say to something like that? I didn't take him that seriously.

Just had to share this great experience. It was totaly the greatest gig this year. Wow
Anyone else had a great gigg lately they would like to share with us?
I lived in a town with a fairly large marina and on Fridays after work in the summer people would take out their boats or yachts or whatever they were loaded with screaming, drunken guests. I think the skippers must have been sober because there didn't seem to be accidents or anything.

There are people, who when they've had a couple, get very broad and expansive and jolly. They will invite you to wonderful places. You are the greatest person they have ever met. You barely know them but they hug you. No plan or idea is too much. They are just in a really really great mood and everything seems like the greatest to them. Which is sort of nice :lol: . So it sounds like your complimenter was in this sort of mood. I'm sure he honestly did believe what he was saying. I would say you have the right approach---enjoy the compliment but take the comparisons with a grain of salt. :lol:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Hey Henke, If someone was pleased enough to come and personally thank you for a great gig - that really meant something to him - no matter how tanked or otherwise affected they are. People tend to remember those perfect nights. It's something that happens with music when it's realy cooking - the crowd and band get transported to a better, more perfect place for a while. Sometimes the gig might seem to be uphill and hard work and the crowd seems leaden, only to find at the end you've really touched someone - and he or she makes a point to come and personally let you know how good you made them feel.

Years ago I had this friend who would sit-in from time to time in a back-woods blues and rock'n'roll band. He was only 15 and had a guitar that was a cheap classical guitar he'd strung with steel and hacked a hole for some old pickup he found on the garbage dump with about 3 meters of tape-patched cable coming directly out of a ragged hole in the side into a borrowed amplifier. They did a gig in one small country town and there was some old black guy in a suit bopping round on the dancefloor and having a great time. My friend was doing a blues solo and the old guy came up to him and gave him a double-thumbs-up sign smiled like a searchlight and danced back into the crowd. Turns out that old black guy was B.B.King. When my friend found that out after the gig he nearly hadda change his pants - but it certainly gave him a lift.

Ya never know who's going to be at the gig and it's great to give folks a great time no matter who they are.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

Yup, those boat people can party (at first I thought you were talking about refugees, they are called 'boat people' here!). There is a small marina directly across the river from me, and in the summer they have bands and cause a ruckus until late at night on the weekends. That doesn't bother me in the least though. With all the noise I don't feel self concious about playing out side on my deck.
Henke

Post by Henke »

Mitch, that is one really cool story. B.B King, just imagine. That would be like equivalent to something in between Kevin Crawford, Dave King and Michael Flatley walking into one of our gigs.
Of course, I would instantly recognize any one of those guys, so I'd probably crapp my pants when I saw them :D
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I like boat people but always found it strange that after they get their “sea legs” and can walk perfectly strait on a boat, that they stagger and trip on land.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Henke

Post by Henke »

It's only logical I.D.10-t.
Have you ever been really drunk at sea? Sometimes you can get to a point where you walk perfectly straight in full storm :D
Same thing. You would be all over the place if it had been on land.
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

I sang "Killkilley Ireland" to an audience up in Uxbridge last year - most people were crying by the end. I think that was a good thing - but one guy came up and gave me a huge compliment and told me his son was away some place and he missed him (I could see the streaks on his cheeks). A very syrup-y song but done well it slays. Anywho, a nice moment.
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\