Oooo...I'm in pain!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Oooo...I'm in pain!

Post by Redwolf »

This isn't a medical post, and no advice is being solicited. I just need sympathy...I've been in pain all weekend and now I've just learned that my recently crowned back tooth died in spite of the dentist's best efforts. I have an appointment to see my new best friend, the endodontist, on Friday and a nice prescription for amoxicillin for the abcess that is apparently causing so much of my woe.

I need a hug and a drink, in no particular order. :sniffle:

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
emmline

Post by emmline »

Chardonnay. I'll share.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

You have my sympathy! Sending a virtual hug and drink from up the coast.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
scottielvr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scottielvr »

Ouch. *another hug* ...May your friendship with the endodontist be fulfilling, but short-lived. :wink:
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Amazing High Tech Animated Hugs:

Good health to you and your teeth,
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Oh, dear! I'm sorry to hear that.

I will keep you in my thoughts, and you can be sure of it, because my office mate is having a root canal tomorrow, too. I'll think of you every time I look over at her sad, empty desk and realize that I have no one to annoy.

You'll feel better soon! Hugs!
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Well, you certainly have my sympathy. I hope everything gets healed up really soon!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Re: Oooo...I'm in pain!

Post by SteveShaw »

Redwolf wrote: I need a hug and a drink, in no particular order. :sniffle:

Redwolf
I can supply both. What's a little trip over the ocean... :)
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Redwolf wrote:This isn't a medical post, and no advice is being solicited. I just need sympathy...I've been in pain all weekend and now I've just learned that my recently crowned back tooth died in spite of the dentist's best efforts. I have an appointment to see my new best friend, the endodontist, on Friday and a nice prescription for amoxicillin for the abcess that is apparently causing so much of my woe.

Redwolf
Having had more than a few abcessed teeth myself- you definately need more than one drink, or a really strong pain pill.

I feel for you Redwolf. That's the worst.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

cowtime wrote:
Redwolf wrote:This isn't a medical post, and no advice is being solicited. I just need sympathy...I've been in pain all weekend and now I've just learned that my recently crowned back tooth died in spite of the dentist's best efforts. I have an appointment to see my new best friend, the endodontist, on Friday and a nice prescription for amoxicillin for the abcess that is apparently causing so much of my woe.

Redwolf
Having had more than a few abcessed teeth myself- you definately need more than one drink, or a really strong pain pill.

I feel for you Redwolf. That's the worst.
At least now I know what it is. It started hurting late Friday afternoon, and wasn't very bad at first...I thought it was just some soreness in my TMJ, which occasionally gives me trouble. Over the weekend it kept getting worse, but it involved the entire side of my face, so I couldn't figure out what it was. All the teeth are crowned on that side, so it didn't occur to me that it might be a tooth problem. I called the dentist because she's been working with me on the TMJ issue and she tested the teeth on that side "just to be sure." Sure enough...that one doesn't respond to cold at all, and an X-ray revealed that the crown I got some months ago wasn't enough to save it.

On the upside, it is already crowned, so at least that doesn't have to be done again!

Someone once told me that if I ever needed to have a root canal, I'd be willing to sell my best friend to get one, and now I know what they meant! I've never experienced such pain...not even during childbirth! This morning it flared up when I was in the shower, and I almost passed out! The pain radiated all around my head and down into my arm! Fortunately, the dentist says the pain should ease fairly quickly as the antibiotics start resolving the abcess, and in the meantime, cold compresses are helping (along with a liberal application of Jamesons!).

I'm a huge wuss when it comes to dental work (I've finally, after years, found a great dentist and had some much-needed work done...it helps that my current dentist discovered that I don't respond properly to lidocaine and related anesthetics, which is why I have such dental issues in the first place...my previous dentists never took me seriously when I'd scream "but it's not numb!!!"), and the idea of a root canal is a bit scary, but my husband assures me it's no worse than a crown prep or a filling, which I've had several times now.

I'm just grateful this didn't wait to happen until we were on vacation (we're leaving on July 22), and that the endodontist is able to fit me in. This would sure be a vacation spoiler!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Louigi Verona

Post by Louigi Verona »

*hug*
*wine*
"If you set your mind to it, you can accomplish anything."
Doc Emmet Brown.
khl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

Sorry about the tooth. No fun at all. I'll drink to your health, though Cherry Coke is about as strong as I take. I hope the medicine and the drink kick in soon.

The root canal isn't bad. I had one a couple months ago and I agree that it's no worse than regular filling work, or a crown prep.
Keith
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

Having a root canal sounds more painful than it actually is. It requires holding your mouth open for a longer time while they remove each root in the tooth . . . an uncomfortable position if you're like me and have TMJ. But the dentist who did it didn't mind if we took "breaks" when I could close my mouth.
Having the absess, on the other hand, is painful . . . after the root canal is done and the Novocain has worn off. They gave me an antibiotic(which I picked up earlier that day) but no painkillers. I was an idiot and dragged my body to work the next day with a low fever and all over body pain(I guess the infection was pretty bad). After a day or two, I felt much better.
I was foolish. I had severe pain in that tooth for a few weeks and wouldn't go to the dentist. Before that, the tooth had an ill fitting crown but I couldn't seem to get the dentist to shave it down enough(I have a small mouth).

I would make sure I got a prescription for a painkiller(if you can tolerate them) and try to take the next day off from work. An ice pack helped with some of the pain. My denstist said to get plenty of rest, make sure to eat, and take all of the antibiotic.

By the way, you do have my full sympathy. :(
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Major sympathy. Tooth pain is THE worst, aside from heartache.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Martin Milner wrote:Major sympathy. Tooth pain is THE worst, aside from heartache.
I've heard that the pain produced by haemorrhoids as you're clearing two days'-worth of constipation is far worse than both of these put together. :D
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!