volume above all

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
bence marosan
antispam: No

volume above all

Post by bence marosan »

For practical reason I need a VERY loud uilleann pipe (my present one is a very quiet one, and in my band it MUST be louder); as loud as possible -if it's possible at least as loud as a great highland bagpipe (I know that all of you think it to be impossible). My question is: who makes the loudest uilleann pipes (chanters) in this narrow world of uilleann pipe makers? (Ye' I know, that you should say: MAN it's about how nice and how smooth is the sound of the chanter, and not about loudness. Please, accept me, that I need a loud one - without electronic aid).
MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

Hunterpipes makes some pretty loud ones. Great sound from those chanters. Though I doubt you'll find a UP chanter as loud as a Highland pipe chanter.
Ceann Cromtha
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Contact Mark Hillmann (uillmann on this forum). His chanters are so loud they sound electric, so to speak.
bence marosan

Post by bence marosan »

Ye I'll doubt it meself too. I put it only as a joke - in my band there's an old piper with a big-big great highland bagpipe and he's usually pulling my leg, telling: "What do you want with your mouse-sound stuff? One can hear nothing of that if I'm playing on my pipe". Anyway thanks for the tip.
MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

Fallen for another joke. :oops:
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

My Kevin Thompson D chanter is quite loud - louder than any other chanter I've played.
PJ
Dave Parkhurst
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

If you have a Wooff chanter an it's not loud enough...send it to me.
Dave

heh heh heh
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."
SEAGULL
Tell us something.: I am not a robot. I am person with dreams and aspirations. I actually hate robots. I do not trust them. Help computer

Post by SEAGULL »

I ran into the same problem. I found a reasonable solution. I had a chanter for normal practice/sessions/recording, but i wasn't loud enough when we were playing shows (the accordion is so loud). I played around with my reed and made it pretty loud but it was to loud for normal playing and duets. So, e-mailed David Daye. I told him to crank the volume. A few weeks later i recieved a chanter that was really really loud and bold. This way you can have two chanters and it gives you more flexibilty. Plus, a penny chanter is fairly cheap in comparison, and they play nicely. Just a thought.

Dan
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Pushing the bridle up on the reed will make the chanter louder, but also flatter, so don't get carried away.

You could, of course, also consider getting a microphone... :wink:
Elmek

Post by Elmek »

How about a double chanter with wide instead of narrow bores
John O'Gara

Post by John O'Gara »

Elmek wrote:
You mean a "double-wide"? :)
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

John O'Gara wrote:Elmek wrote:
You mean a "double-wide"? :)
:lol:
anima

Post by anima »

I have a Davy Stephenson chanter and it's a real banjo blaster, definitely wide bore. He makes his stuff to Peter Hunter specs I believe. His website is back up at http://www.bagpipeworks.co.uk/

Jeff
Last edited by anima on Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

when are you guys gonna realize that it's AT LEAST 85% reed, volume: tone, etc. I can close a reed down on a Tim Britton chanter, and it'd be quiet.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Brazenkaine wrote:when are you guys gonna realize that it's AT LEAST 85% reed, volume: tone, etc. I can close a reed down on a Tim Britton chanter, and it'd be quiet.
Maybe, but put a loud reed into a chanter that's not designed to be loud and you'll get something that sounds terrible.
PJ