Selected Movies I Haven't Seen: A Thread by Bloomfield

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

dwinterfield wrote:
USA Weekend Box-Office Summary
30 June 2006
Rank Title Weekend Gross
1. Superman Returns (2006) $52.5M $108M
2. The Devil Wears Prada (2006) $27.5M $40.1M
3. Click (2006) $19.9M $87.6M
4. Cars (2006) $14.6M $191M
5. Nacho Libre (2006) $6.6M $68.5M
6. The Lake House (2006) $4.81M $41.4M
7. The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006) $4.49M $53.5M
8. Waist Deep (2006) $3.43M $16.5M
9. The Break-Up (2006) $2.99M $112M
10. The Da Vinci Code (2006) $2.43M $211M
I think my goal for the summer is to avoid 1 though 9. Regretably, I saw #10 recently, a few weeks after reading the book. It's hard to decide which I liked least. I liked Angles and Demons a lot. Better action, better art history, better cataclysmic plot device.
I've seen #1. It's a fun flick if you like superhero movies, and is very much a sequel/tribute to the first two Christopher Reeve Superman movies.

I'd like to see #4. (I generally enjoy Pixar movies.)

I have no interest in the rest of the movies on that list.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

I haven't seen the last LOTR movie. First 2 bored me. I watched them in 15 minute increments.

Didn't see the last Matrix movie. The first one was great the the second was dreadful.

Saw Star Wars I-III. Hated all of them. (Loved IV-VI.)

Anybody seen "The Nomi Song" yet?
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Brewster wrote:I still haven't seen "The Incredibles"--should I?
Yes. I thought it was just terrific. I've seen it three times.
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-"Spirited Away"-inventive, warm story of a lost kid thriving amid the adversity of a strange world by dint of innate spunk and compassion. Too simple animation style fails the story a bit but the show works well anyway as the tale unfolds.
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Post by Innocent Bystander »

brianormond wrote:-"Spirited Away"-inventive, warm story of a lost kid thriving amid the adversity of a strange world by dint of innate spunk and compassion. Too simple animation style fails the story a bit but the show works well anyway as the tale unfolds.
My wife, bless her, got me the DVD for Christmas. I watched it about five times before my son and daughter collared it and watched it heaven knows how many times. The music is a big part of the whole thing. My wife is tone-deaf and the film completely left her cold. She can only tolerate music if it has audible words - ballads are her thing. Her favourite music at the moment is "Buffy - the Musical". It's pretty good - I love the dance between the demon and Buffy's sister ( the actress who turned up later in Six Feet Under as a predatory pop-star ) but once in six months is quite enough for me.

I wanted to see Howl's Moving Castle (Howell's Moving Castle?) but haven't managed it yet. I was a little bit surprised to see that the story was by Dick King-Smith - the same (British) bloke who wrote the original story on which Babe was based.

Every year in the Autumn the Autumn or Christmas Blockbuster (whatever it may be) gets teased, and advertised, and trailed, and the Actors and Actresses interviewed to the point of brain atrophy. And every year, earlier in the proceedings, I say to my wife : "I don't want to see (x) any more, how about you?" and she will say: "Certainly not! Over-hyped already!" :twisted:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
djm

Post by djm »

I haven't heard anyone mention this yet, but Chicken Little has a lot of laughs in it. I can't quite see kids getting a lot of the jokes. It seems to me to be directed more towards adults, e.g. what kid is going to recognize that the pig is speaking in Carole King lyrics? Lots of spoofs on various sci-fi movies tucked in there, too. Good for a laugh.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.