Dangers of PVC

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whitmores75087
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Dangers of PVC

Post by Whitmores75087 »

http://www.healthybuilding.net/pvc/index.html
The above site lists the really really nasty side of PVC. Warning: If you make whistles from PVC take great care not to breathe the dust.
Short bio: 1952-
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Another site with a somewhat contrasting view:

http://www.azom.com/details.asp?ArticleID=987

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

It sounds like any dangers that may exist are mainly related to toxic byproducts of the manufacture of PVC, and not through exposure to the product itself. One could argue that players of PVC whistles encourage manufacture of the product, but that use would be a speck on the landscape compared to its use in modern plumbing and other industries. Don't breathe the dust? Yes. Avoid PVC on priniciple? Not unless we swear off all plastics.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Of course it's a good idea to avoid inhaling any plastic dust, but it's the fumes produced by machining PVC that are the hardest to avoid.
I stopped working with it because of the fumes... even with the door to my workshop open and a large fan keeping the air circulated, the smell was still intense and I got splitting headaches.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Breathing any fumes is not good for you. I've been making some wood instruments lately and friend of mine as strongly urged me to be carefull around mahogany.

Example: http://www.vwa.org.au/des_dangwd.htm

I keep a fan running in the shop so that dust doesn't cause too much of a problem. Also wood and PVC when machined or turned really doesn't really cause much of a problem. It sanding that really product the fine dust that can be harmful.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

My workshop-in-progress is in my garage so I just keep the door open and wear a mask during the more delicate parts of construction. I used to work in my basement with no mask and then it actually did make me a bit nauseated.

Speaking of PVC building, if anyone has any advice on fipple / mouthpiece construction, please please please send me a PM or let me know somehow. I'm having a heck of a time with it and would be extremely grateful to anyone that could give some good tips. Thanks!
dDave

Post by dDave »

Howdy,

I would be really careful about heating PVC as well. PVC is nicely pliable when heated, and shapes easily, but it gives off nasty gases and a respirator should be used.

FYI - here is the materials saftey data sheet for PVC plumbing fittings.

http://www.iplex.com.au/technicaldata/M ... EV0505.pdf

Best,

Dave
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

One of my favourite things about PVC is that it can be worked (sanded, cut, turned on a metal lathe, drilled and milled) wet. No dust, no heat distortion, minimal off-gassing from heat. I use the standard oil emulsion on the lathe, but plain water with a drop of detergent for hand sanding. Automotive sandpaper, used wet, cuts fine until it falls apart.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
billw

Irritation from PVC - not a problem for players

Post by billw »

The thing that ticks me off most about discussions such as this is that nobody seems to make the point that virtually every caution about exposure to PVC refers to its use in industrial circumstances. I'm not going to ship you a whistle or a flute with a bag of sanding dust to inhale, or uncured adhesive, nor will I suggest that you expose it to high temperatures and sniff the fumes.

People read stuff like this, where cautions to us makers are taken out of context and applied to everyone, and become fearful that Something Bad Will Happen if they so much as touch a PVC instrument with their fingers or stick one under their noses! What poppycock!

I would call to your attention that baby teething rings tend to be made from PVC with the blessing of the FDA. That the effect of ingestion of the tiny bits that a baby might chew off are considered nonexistent. That the fumes from them are not even discussed as a hazard in the literature.

I consider the entire subject a troll, and apologize for responding to it, but for heaven's sake, what next? An article on molybdenum toxicity to get people scared to play a Village Smithy?

Gawd.

Bill Whedon
Ye Olde Whistlesmith Saying:
A whistle without a fipple, is just a piece of leaky pipe!

Click the WWW and come have some fun with poems and music and now BOOKS! and check out the preeeety whistles and the T-shirts with attitude! :D
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Have you neglected to take some sort of necessary medication today, Bill?
Nobody is suggesting that there are any dangers in playing whistles made from PVC water pipe... it's water pipe, 'nuff said.
And just in case you really don't know any better - machining it, even in a whistlesmith's workshop, qualifies as 'industrial circumstances'.
True enough, it can be done safely if the proper precautions are taken... which is all that's being stated by this thread.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Kinda puts the kibosh on my new Depleted Uranium Fipples (TM)

:) :wink: :)
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

So I have to kick my habit of ending the day with a little port wine and a pipeful of PVC dust? Oh maaaaan.....
Dave
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Dave Parkhurst wrote:So I have to kick my habit of ending the day with a little port wine and a pipeful of PVC dust? Oh maaaaan.....
Dave
Skip the port. :D
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Chiffed wrote:Kinda puts the kibosh on my new Depleted Uranium Fipples (TM)

:) :wink: :)

I think I want one of those for my next camping trip or A-10 sortie.

Bears and tanks beware!

:D
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
billw

Post by billw »

[quote="raindog1970"]Have you neglected to take some sort of necessary medication today, Bill?
Nobody is suggesting that there are any dangers in playing whistles made from PVC water pipe... it's water pipe, 'nuff said.
And just in case you really don't know any better - machining it, even in a whistlesmith's workshop, qualifies as 'industrial circumstances'.
True enough, it can be done safely if the proper precautions are taken... which is all that's being stated by this thread.[/quote

You don't need to suggest anything of the sort. All you need do is point out toxicity, and I will guarantee you that someone will get hysterical about it and cancel an order on you. If you've not seen it happen yet, wait for it. It's just a matter of time before someone orders a whistle or flute, and comes back next day and cancels it "because I read on Chiff and Fipple that it's toxic! And then I read this article or that, and it's really dangerous!" Have a look here:
http://www.turnertoys.com/PVC_framepage1.htm all about PHTHALATE TOXICITY
And then try to tell them that it's okay to touch or play the instrument. See how far you get.

The things we work with:
PVC plastic
Acetone/lacquer thinner
Adhesives (cyanoacrylate, epoxies)
Brass (releases zinc fumes)
Nickel (strong allergen for many people, carcinogen)
Copper (weakness, nausea, genetic effects)

And people are remarkably easy to steer with simple fear. It really boils down to the way that things are said. Start the article off with "Whistle makers shouldn't breathe the dust" and nobody gets hysterical. Start it off with "Dangers of PVC" bolded, and you get a whole 'nother set of reactions. You've just been reading one. And yeah, I did take my meds. Sarcasm is not a great way to enter into a dialog. Give me some credit for having some experience with all this stuff. I've probably just been breathing too much chrome moly steel dust. :)
Bill
Ye Olde Whistlesmith Saying:
A whistle without a fipple, is just a piece of leaky pipe!

Click the WWW and come have some fun with poems and music and now BOOKS! and check out the preeeety whistles and the T-shirts with attitude! :D