Whistle player of Faith seeking others...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
burnsbyrne
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by burnsbyrne »

Politely submitting, without sarcasm...

Shouldn't the title of this thread be something like "Whistle player of [my] Faith seeking others...[of my faith]"

Faith comes in all flavors. Not all who drink beer are drunkards, irreligious or degenerates.

Mike Burns

minor typo edited

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: burnsbyrne on 2002-09-10 11:22 ]</font>
Dewhistle

Post by Dewhistle »

On 2002-09-10 10:45, Walden wrote:
On 2002-09-10 04:06, Dewhistle wrote:

But I am one of those degenerate Christians who likes Harry Potter. I wonder if C.S. Lewis got that much grief. :roll:
I didn't like the <i>Narnia</I> books, but I did like the <i>Screwtape Letters</i>.
Actually, I confess I've never read 'em, I was into Tolkein. But they seemed another good example of "weird" literature for kids. I've even heard of people who won't let their kids read Dr. Seuss. There goes the thread.

On another note:

To all those hesitant about the term
"Christian" I have to say that it bothers me to hear people treat it as a bad word. I have one use for it: to indicate that I am a member of a church of that set of beliefs. I am fully aware that Christianity has had some very ugly periods throughout history and there are Christians out there whose behavior is as immoral as it is criminal. But I no more expect to be affiliated with them than I would assume that all Muslims wreck buildings and kill children. I also do not limit myself to playing alongside Christians, no indeed, but it is a fact that I do not drink or approve of drinking, hence my refusal to play whistle in a bar or pub.

It was asked who among us was a Christiann whistler (in the text though not the title) so I spoke up as a member of a Christian religion that is frequently misunderstood (many refuse to believe we are followers of Christ because of something someone they know told them, and never see things for themselves. Childish).

That said, this thread did seem to be asking for trouble, but Tradman was clearly aware of it and was willing to risk it and ask his question. If you don't have an interest in this subject, you are invited to move along to a thread that does interest you instead of taking jabs at this one.
"We took pictures of the native girls, but they weren't developed. But we're going back again in a couple of weeks..."
the_instrument_player

Post by the_instrument_player »

I can identify with this thread, too, because I find myself really wishing that Irish trad wasn't so closely associated with drinking and the bar/party atmosphere. And, just as was said earlier in this thread, I'm not really interested in playing praise and worship on the whistle.... that is good stuff but I'm more interested in playing actual Irish trad. So, I guess I'm not offering any suggestions, just saying that I can identify, and if I didn't live in PA in the middle of nowhere, I would come play with ya!! That's my other problem.... I live out in the middle of nowhere and it's hard to find regular sessions ANYWHERE. There is an interest in Irish Trad in my community but people don't know too much about it and haven't really been exposed to it much. So I'm thinking next summer (if I survive this year of college!) of starting a little class/session... sort of an informal thing where people can bring instruments (those who don't already have instruments can buy whistles cuz they don't cost much) and sit on my porch and learn the basics, at least enough to play a few tunes together.... We'll see if that flies....
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord!
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

On 2002-09-10 12:54, the_instrument_player wrote:
I can identify with this thread, too, because I find myself really wishing that Irish trad wasn't so closely associated with drinking and the bar/party atmosphere
I think one would be hard pressed to find any European folk music tradition that is not associated to some extent with drinking and partying. Does anybody know of one?
Mike
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

You might check if any local churches would let you use their facilities during times when no worship is being held there for sessions.

My band used to meet in the auditorium of the Grace Covenant Church twice a week, and it worked out well. We also got some pretty decent recordings with their sound board. (Well, they were decent for musicians just getting their feet wet in Irish trad. By my standards today they weren't all that decent, but everyone starts somewhere.)

Do remember though that one of the best things about traditional music is the wide variety of people it can bring together.

I'm not meaning to be critical, merely to point out that you may have better and bigger sessions if you define who can come inclusively rather than exclusively.

Especially this week, when all Americans are pulling back together to remember our fallen countrymen.

Best wishes,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
Kim in Tulsa

Post by Kim in Tulsa »

On 2002-09-10 13:06, peeplj wrote:
you may have better and bigger sessions if you define who can come inclusively rather than exclusively.
Oh, I agree whole-heartedly with this statement! It's one of the reasons we homeschool and why we take our kids with us everywhere we go! We want them involved with a large variety of experiences.

This last session we went to (my first ever) was in a bar and we naturally couldn't take our kids. My eldest (age 7) was in a real huff about it because he LOVES hearing the traditional music. And my youngest loves how he can feel the bodhran in his insides! We have taken them to hear trad music at a restaurant and they liked to sit and listen.

I just wish there were greater venues for traditional music to be played...for those with families and for those who can't tolerate smokey atmospheres and so on. I suspect there are other options for people in some places. We're just limited here in the thriving metropolis of Tulsa.

K
"Whistling women and crowing hens never come to no good end"
E = Fb

Post by E = Fb »

Does the presence of beautiful women in the world prove that God loves us, or hates us?

(a quote from a single Christian male who, by the way, is now happily married)
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

On 2002-09-10 13:06, peeplj wrote:
Do remember though that one of the best things about traditional music is the wide variety of people it can bring together.

I'm not meaning to be critical, merely to point out that you may have better and bigger sessions if you define who can come inclusively rather than exclusively.

Especially this week, when all Americans are pulling back together to remember our fallen countrymen.
I wish to stand together with all who oppose the terrorism, violence, and senseless bloodshed, and affirm that there is a better way.
Reasonable person
Walden
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Walden wrote:
I wish to stand together with all who oppose the terrorism, violence, and senseless bloodshed, and affirm that there is a better way.
_____

I fully agree with this statement.

Mike Burns
An agnostic with a conscience.
Byll
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Instrument Player: Just where is the middle of nowhere in PA? I am curious, being in the middle of nowhere in PA, myself.
Cheers.
Byll
Kim in Tulsa

Post by Kim in Tulsa »

On 2002-09-10 14:41, burnsbyrne wrote:
An agnostic with a conscience.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic insomniac? He lay awake at night wondering if there was a doG.

:wink:
"Whistling women and crowing hens never come to no good end"
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

On 2002-09-10 14:54, Byll wrote:
Instrument Player: Just where is the middle of nowhere in PA? I am curious, being in the middle of nowhere in PA, myself.
Cheers.
Byll
Same here!

There must be alot of "middle of nowhere" in PA Wouldn't it be funny if there is really a town called Middle of Nowhere in PA! Ha Ha Maybe we could all get together sometime Have our own session! Of course I can only really play about 10 tunes so it would have to be a really short session for me. Ha Ha
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

What would really be cool, Kathy, is if our middle of nowheres are somewhere near each other...
Cheers.
Bill
the_instrument_player

Post by the_instrument_player »

Byll and ChattieKathy--
My middle of nowhere is actually just south of the NY/PA border, so I'm about half hour south of Olean, NY, and about 2 hrs south of Buffalo, NY. Does that give you an idea where I'm at? How bout you two? Where is the middle of nowhere for you? Yes, that would be cool if our middle of nowhere's were near each other. =)
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord!
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Cthulu.

it had to be said...:lol: