Selected Movies I Haven't Seen: A Thread by Bloomfield

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
scottielvr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scottielvr »

I haven't seen Killer Klowns. My plan is to not see it again and again, not gaining new insights each time I don't see it.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

scottielvr wrote:I haven't seen Killer Klowns. My plan is to not see it again and again, not gaining new insights each time I don't see it.
Sigh. I've always deprecated American anti-intellectuallism.
/Bloomfield
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Gee, I've only heard of a few of these movies. I did see The Sting with my mom years ago---sadly, neither one of us could figure out what the heck was going on. I thought Walk the Line was really quite good. I've heard of Titanic and Ray (I'm thinking that's the one about Ray Charles, which I thought sounded good). What I heard about Titanic sounded pretty goofy to me----why not just watch the old one? Seven Samurai---for some reason I was thinking that it was The Seventh Samurai or maybe I'm thinking of some movie by Bergman :lol: I don't know.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that almost any movie is one I haven't seen. I can't even remember the titles of the ones I have seen.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Fight Club- I suprised myself by liking it
Dazed &Confused- not really-
Ray- good movie- worth watching just for the amazing acting by Fox

I've seen Sixth Sense- an ok watch- not too hard to figure out

I did not care for the Sting, but did my durndest to learn the Scott Joplin music on piano. Wasn't it Maple Street Rag? Wasn't that in the Sting? I could be confused here and it wouldn't be the first time.

I wanted to see The DaVinci Code since I liked the book, but didn't make it. Actually I only go to the theatre maybe once a year if that.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
alurker

Post by alurker »

Congratulations wrote:... the Sixth Sense.

Tell me I'm not the only one who knew what the "surprise" was right from the beginning, because no one I've talked to seems to have figured it out.
Not only did I not work out the twist at the end before it was revealed, but I watched the Sixth Sense a second time recently and had forgotten the twist at the end and got the same shock again! :boggle: :boggle:

I may be justifiably considered by some to be a bit thick. :oops:
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

cowtime wrote:Fight Club- I suprised myself by liking it
Dazed &Confused- not really-
Ray- good movie- worth watching just for the amazing acting by Fox

I've seen Sixth Sense- an ok watch- not too hard to figure out

I did not care for the Sting, but did my durndest to learn the Scott Joplin music on piano. Wasn't it Maple Street Rag? Wasn't that in the Sting? I could be confused here and it wouldn't be the first time.

I wanted to see The DaVinci Code since I liked the book, but didn't make it. Actually I only go to the theatre maybe once a year if that.
cowtime, I also might be wrong but I think the Joplin rag in The Sting was The Entertainer.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

alurker wrote:
Congratulations wrote:... the Sixth Sense.

Tell me I'm not the only one who knew what the "surprise" was right from the beginning, because no one I've talked to seems to have figured it out.
Not only did I not work out the twist at the end before it was revealed, but I watched the Sixth Sense a second time recently and had forgotten the twist at the end and got the same shock again! :boggle: :boggle:

I may be justifiably considered by some to be a bit thick. :oops:
:lol:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

emmline wrote:I, however, guessed the "surprise" at the end of The Village without ever having seen the movie, and ruined it for my kid who was getting ready to go with friends.
I guessed this one too. Although, for me, it was while we were watching the movie, and I blurted out what I thought was going to happen. Since I am so notoriously wrong about such things, no one took me seriously. But as the movie progressed, it seemed evident that my intuitions were correct, and it was rather dull from that point on (about midway through the movie...I guessed it pretty quickly). Needless to say, I didn't like the movie too much. :wink:

As for Bloo's movies, I did see Fight Club, but only because I was forced to (all chocolate would be taken away if I didn't watch...torturous, wasn't it? :lol: ). I also did see The Sixth Sense, which I think if I hadn't, and therefore hadn't been expecting a "surprise ending" because of the director, I wouldn't have figured out The Village.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
djm

Post by djm »

Just came home from The DaVinci Code. I was surprised how closely it followed the book. I can see how those who hadn't read the book would pan it, the way people would just blurt all this info out at you to cover all the stuff you would have had to plow through reading the book, but if you knew the story and had a grasp of the background conspiracy theories, it pretty much went as expected, with a bit of padding here and there by the movie folks. For me it was just great seeing all the actual buildings and places that make up the story. Beautiful!

Of Bloomer's list, I haven't seen D&C, but I don't care much for those end of high school coming of age things anyway. Of the others, Fight Club and Ray were good, but not great. 7Sams is more the type of thing you go to as an intellectual exercise (i.e. I know this is supposed to be good for me).

I enjoyed Sixth Sense. It is the only Shyamalan film that is any good ... IMHO ... so far. I would rank it with The Game as the type of movie you can only really enjoy once, because once you know the surprise ending, well, it ain't no surprise no more.

Killer Klowns is one of those "so bad its good" camp things. If you're not into that sort of humour don't bother, but if you are, its a masterpiece!

I couldn't stand The Sting or the Entertainer when they first came out, and I hate them even more now.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I guessed the ending for Titanic. And the Passion of the Christ.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

djm wrote:
I enjoyed Sixth Sense. It is the only Shyamalan film that is any good ... IMHO ... so far.
You know, the movie I like best by Shyamalan movie is one that I haven't heard spoken of much, called "Unbreakable", which is, I think, one of the best superhero-ish movies ever made. I guess it's more of an anti-hero superhero sort of thing. But I thought it was pretty good. (I don't think any of his movies have been great, though.)
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

herbivore12 wrote:
djm wrote:
I enjoyed Sixth Sense. It is the only Shyamalan film that is any good ... IMHO ... so far.
You know, the movie I like best by Shyamalan movie is one that I haven't heard spoken of much, called "Unbreakable", which is, I think, one of the best superhero-ish movies ever made. I guess it's more of an anti-hero superhero sort of thing. But I thought it was pretty good. (I don't think any of his movies have been great, though.)
Terrible ending.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

Congratulations wrote:
herbivore12 wrote:
djm wrote:
Terrible ending.
Just about all of 'em are. Guy doesn't do endings very well. (I guess Sixth Sense was supposed to have a good ending, except that since I guessed the "secret" way in advance, it didn't seem that great to me. . .)
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

I have never seen ET!
Nor have I seen Sound of music or The graduate.

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
DaveM

Post by DaveM »

Despite buying it on DVD almost 4 years ago, I still haven't seen Nosferatu. Every time I see Calina refereeing a football match, I am reminded that I still have to watch it.

Dave