CIAW East Durham 2006

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Sliabh Luachra wrote:It'll be nice to meet some of you folks in person.
Indeed! We'll have to get some tunes in. (And maybe get any recordings you make of Jackie's c#/d class!)
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Sliabh Luachra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sliabh Luachra »

That's not a problem at all. . . :D

Mark
"Only a mediocre person is always at his best." -Somerset Maugham
Caj

Post by Caj »

I agree that the advanced classes are overfilled, and with many people who are not advanced and the whole thing slows the class down. I once took a beginner box class from Niall Vallely, and there were four of us. Fifteen is common for the advanced class.

I highly recommend believing that you are a beginner and taking the beginner class. You get fewer people, more attention, and you might really luck out. I once tried to pick up the button accordion and took the beginner C#/D class from Patty Furlong. I was the only person who signed up, so it was practically a week of private lessons. This was Patty Furlong, fer chrissakes, and if I didn't try C#/D on a whim nobody would have even taken the class!

If you find that the beginner class is too beginner, you can probably switch over after day 1. It's not like these things are strictly enforced.

One caveat is that this advice depends on the instrument. Fiddle classes, for example, will probably be crowded at all levels, and you should not be in the same room as a beginner fiddle class if you can avoid it.

Caj
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Well, Jack Murphy is flying in town on saturday and we're both heading to Easth Durham on sunday. Will be staying at the Fern Cliff with Jack and Karina. Wow, I'm so excited about this. I bunch of friends will show up, too. I even got an email from a woman I met in Ireland in 2004 at the Willie Clancy festival, and last year in november in Ennis. Equiped with my new Edirol R9, I will get hours and hours of great session recording. Oh my gosh, Brian McNamara, Michael Rooney, Maeve, June, etc, plus some other musicians I need to listen to and discover. The great Paul De Grae will be there, too. I had the chance to meet him last november in Ireland, but will now see him in action with his friends, Jackie Daly etc.

I can't wait to end up arguing music with Jack and his extreme narrow-mindness and "if it's on rhythmn and/or in tune and/or backup by guitar then it's dead music" speeches hehe!

I'm pretty sad Mary Bergin won't be there, I'm fortunate she was there the first year I've been to Catskills. But Catherine McEvoy is a pretty good counter-balance, she's a goddess and will most likely use lot of storage room on my 2GB flash memory card :D
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

A whole slew of people who used to live in Ann Arbor will be staying in the Fern Cliff house too. We're starting to assemble and head east on Friday. Very very excited!
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Are you expecting Stef and Brock? Can Dale make it? The Fern Cliff is going to be a mighty music jungle :-)
colomon

Post by colomon »

Steph and Brock for sure, Dale was still iffy when I talked to him on Sunday. (And I presume that means Dale doesn't have a room reserved at Fern Cliff like the rest of us do.)

Woah. It's just sinking in -- I'm going to see them all again in three days! It hasn't been that long since I saw Steph and Brock together (that was Memorial Day Weekend), but it's been over two years since the entire gang was together.

And then the next day I get to start meeting oodles of new people, like you, Azalin.... :)
steph_c

muahahahaha...

Post by steph_c »

Azalin wrote:Are you expecting Stef and Brock? Can Dale make it? The Fern Cliff is going to be a mighty music jungle :-)

We'll be there, armed to the teeth (fiddles, Paddy, reckless abandon)

See you soon! Party starts here on Friday :-)
colomon

Re: muahahahaha...

Post by colomon »

steph_c wrote:See you soon! Party starts here on Friday :-)
Or possibly in East China on Friday, depending on which branch of the party you're talking about. :)
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Wow, awesome!!! See you all on sunday or monday then :-) I'm glad I'll get to hear some of Sol's compositions!
colomon

Post by colomon »

Azalin wrote:Wow, awesome!!! See you all on sunday or monday then :-)
I'm looking forward to meeting you.
I'm glad I'll get to hear some of Sol's compositions!
You might have to wait until I've had a few drinks, I can be pretty shy about playing my own stuff. And keep an ear out for Steph's -- she's written two lovely tunes so far this year! (In fact, I should start practicing them today, I only have them halfway learned.)
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Sliabh Luachra wrote:
colomon wrote:Well, with June I'd be taking Intermediate Flute, which I might well be able to handle technique-wise by summer. (Actually, that's another laugh about the "advanced" qualifiers above -- right now, I've got about three tunes I can play with some reasonable degree of success on flute. But as soon as I get the basics down a bit better, I'd imagine that number will ramp up into the hundreds very quickly...)

The two Mikes sounds like a fine deal to me.
I would do the two Mikes if I were you. I've never taken Mike McHale's class but I really like his album. Like Brad said, solid rhythm.

I was in Mike Rafferty's class last summer and loved it. He taught almost 20 tunes to my class that week. I retained five of them but still pull out the others from time to time. He's got great settings and is full of stories.

I'll see you in Mike Rafferty's class. And you're lovely wife in Jackie's c#/d class. It'll be nice to meet some of you folks in person.

Kelly, do you ever make it down to Charlottesville? The session down here is definately "improving".

Mark
Ooh, I'm so jealous, but just wrote the check for Augusta instead, so who knows, maybe next year. Y'all have fun!

Hey Mark, if you ever run into a fiddle/box player named Louise in Charlottesville (I think that's where she went), tell her hi for me, and we all send our best.

Again, you guys have a blast, and don't forgot your allergy pills!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

So I might pay for afternoon classes and go to advanced concertina classes with Micheál Ó Raghallaigh the afternoon. It's not that I'm advanced, but I'd rather be the sucky one of the bunch and work hard to progress than have to wait for people to learn tunes. I'm not sure if I can learn anything in a group class, I had bad experiences before, but heck, I gotta go for it.

In the morning if I can ever manage to get out of bed, I'll probably just go and listen quietly in a corner to a few different classes, like June McCormack and of course Catherine McEvoy on the flute, and I'd be curious to sit in the harp class and watch Michael Rooney teach. I would definitely want to check Paul DeGrae and his guitar accompaniment class, not that I play guitar or anything, but I might learn a few things about chords, which I don't know anything about :-)

Well, I'm just way too excited.
steph_c

So it begins...

Post by steph_c »

Ha! Brock's wailing away now in my family room ...whiskey flowing...people passing out...great tunes springing forth as we await the imminent arrival of Dale, Sol, Jen & Emily before the snowball heads east on Sunday...
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Wow, so Dale's going? Goodness, goodness...

Hopefully we'll have a few "B" sessions going, I was playing some tunes on my "B" whistle last night, it's such a wonderful key. I think the whistle has the biggest improvment when it's in B, it's not as shrill and way more mellow. Unfortunately I'm stuck with standard keys with the concertina, I don't have the money to buy an extra 3-4 concertinas in different keys (and don't have the talent or patience to learn the same tunes with 3-4 different fingerings). :-)

Looking forward to seeing you Steph!