Should there be applause on a CD recorded live?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Poll ended at Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:52 pm

Yes
46%
No
8%
Fade out
46%

Total votes: 24

Claus von Weiss
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Claus von Weiss »

In a few hours time we're about to play a concert, that will be recorded for our next Morris Open Live-CD "Tomorrow's Tradition". (I'm scared as hell, trust me :boggle: )

And actually I do wonder, what would you prefer as a listener, should we leave the applause on it, do you prefer no applause at all or should the applause faded out?

On the Live-CDs we recorded before we left the applause full time, but I'm not so sure about it anymore :-? .

Thanks for your input - and please keep fingers crossed!
Claus :o

PS: Actually I posted this one on the Whistle Forum before, but as there are to be only two tracks with whistle on it, maybe this is the better place for it. :oops:
djm

Post by djm »

When I put live recordings to CD there are two things I usually change (correct): first is that the applause is usually quite loud, especially compared to acoustic instruments, second that it can go on for a long time for reasons that may not be apparent to someone just listening to the recording, and not able to see what was going on at the time. For these issues, I normally limit the loudness of the applause, and then fade the applause out, so that it is never for more than 30-40 seconds. This is enough to let a CD listener appreciate the atmosphere of the live performance without blowing their speakers out or boring them with over-long applause.

Just my opinion, of course.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I've been to live recordings where the audience was asked not to applaud. It felt SO uncomfortable, for everybody. It's unnatural. If your sound equipment can painlessly remove it, then fine, but I'm inclined to agree with David here: a burst of applause, at reduced volume if possible, and then fade out.

Having some applause also serves to explain and excuse any little audience noise during the performance, which might be impossible to remove.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I'm pro-applause. Makes it more realistic.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I'm with djm. Leave just enough to give atmosphere, then fade out.
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

Dale wrote:I'm pro-applause. Makes it more realistic.
Yup me too. A live CD is capturing an event, audience reaction is a part of that event so should be left on.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Controlled applause is the way to go as djm and others have suggested. Take the main body of the music straight from the desk and have a couple of ambient mics in the audience a few yards back. Just mix in various amounts of signal from those ambient mics to give the recording warmth and to capture audience sounds; enough to give the feel of being in the audience but not so much as to drown out the music.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I'm not normally a fan of applause on a recording, and typically avoid "live" albums unless there's music on them that I really badly want to hear. If I want a "live" atmosphere, I go to a concert...when I buy a CD, what I want is the music, unadulterated.

While I would normally vote for removing the applause entirely, the point that a little applause will help explain any other ambient noise from the audience is well-taken, so I voted for "fade-out." Though my first choice would have been to do a studio recording to begin with.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
djm

Post by djm »

Redwolf wrote:my first choice would have been to do a studio recording to begin with.
I'm surprised to see this opinion, since it is also my own, but I usually get called down in contempt by others in favour recordings of live performances. I agree that live is different from studio, but contrary to many others' opinions, I usually find its to the detriment of the music IMHO. Perhaps others count the live experience as more significant than the music on its own (?).

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

djm wrote:
Redwolf wrote:my first choice would have been to do a studio recording to begin with.
I'm surprised to see this opinion, since it is also my own, but I usually get called down in contempt by others in favour recordings of live performances. I agree that live is different from studio, but contrary to many others' opinions, I usually find its to the detriment of the music IMHO. Perhaps others count the live experience as more significant than the music on its own (?).

djm
It's probably mine as well, give or take a nuance or two. I see it this way. About 98% of the recordings I own are studio recordings or at least 'no-audience' recordings. So my preference for the studio gets reflected in this proportion. But I often like to hear what so-and-so sounded like live, so I'll buy the occasional live recording. When I do, I really want it to sound like a live recording. Of course, a live recording with sound quality so bad as to be misleading doesn't give the right impression of what so-and-so sounded like live. Also, I'm very unlikely to choose the live record for repeated listenings.
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

Redwolf wrote:I'm not normally a fan of applause on a recording, and typically avoid "live" albums unless there's music on them that I really badly want to hear. If I want a "live" atmosphere, I go to a concert...when I buy a CD, what I want is the music, unadulterated.
I agree completely! I like live recordings, they often have a "verve" that studio recordings don't. But I've NEVER caught myself thinking, "I wish there was more applause."
Redwolf wrote:While I would normally vote for removing the applause entirely, the point that a little applause will help explain any other ambient noise from the audience is well-taken, so I voted for "fade-out." Though my first choice would have been to do a studio recording to begin with.
I don't feel like I need applause to "explain" (or excuse?) anything. Just give me the music as good-sounding as you can make it. Putting "Live" in the album title should be enough for those who need explanation. No overdubs or studio effects (or using them in a VERY subtle, limited manner) is a big plus too. I'd rather hear a few mistakes than have an album drenched in artificial gloss.
Jack

Post by Jack »

If you're blessed (and talented!) enough to get applause, I'd leave it as is.
BoneQuint wrote:
Redwolf wrote:I'm not normally a fan of applause on a recording, and typically avoid "live" albums unless there's music on them that I really badly want to hear. If I want a "live" atmosphere, I go to a concert...when I buy a CD, what I want is the music, unadulterated.
I agree completely! I like live recordings, they often have a "verve" that studio recordings don't. But I've NEVER caught myself thinking, "I wish there was more applause."
You do understand, though, that most people can't just up and leave whatever they're doing to see a live performance whenever they want, don't you? I like live CDs for this reason. I'm too sick to see a lot of live performances, and hearing them on CD is the best option possible, especially if the performer rarely tours the US.
Claus von Weiss

Post by Claus von Weiss »

Nunc dimittis ... 8)

Boy, this was a tough one, 33 degrees celsius, twice the crowd we had expected under these conditions, technical problem the lot, our man Matthias close to nervous breakdown as he had had a bad fire in his home the night before :shock: , myself bloody nervous (I still do have stagefright after 35 years on stage, but a live recording is even worse :puppyeyes: ) - AND IT WAS GREAT :D :D :D !

We'll be in the studio end of the week to do the final mix (trying to keep it as real as possible) and there we'll have to decide about the applause thing. I do think that having none at all would make this sound quite unreal indeed, having all the applause could become rather boring at length, (the audience really went for it in spite of the heat), so I think fading out after a few seconds it probably will be. (Hey, I'm with the majority for once :lol: .)

Thanks everybody for giving your opinions, I'll keep you in mind when in the studio. :thumbsup:

Cheers
Claus
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Cranberry wrote:
You do understand, though, that most people can't just up and leave whatever they're doing to see a live performance whenever they want, don't you? I like live CDs for this reason. I'm too sick to see a lot of live performances, and hearing them on CD is the best option possible, especially if the performer rarely tours the US.
Hearing a live album is no where near the same experience of being at a concert. It doesn't even begin to approach the dynamic of a live concert. If you enjoy the performer, listen to the performer, not to a lot of people coughing, shifting around, and giggling in the background, with a few announcement and the inevitable applause. Save the "concert experience" for when you can actually EXPERIENCE the concert.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
LimuHead
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

I say keep the applause after each tune with a fade out.

The last tune's applause could go on longer with a longer fade out to signal to the listener that that's the end of the recording.
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband