So long Moose, and thanks for the laughs.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Walden wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:That's an awful lot of wee-wee for such a tiny dog. :D
Yeah, but he sure felt relieved afterward!
:lol: And now the owner has to walk through it, in flip flops no less. :D
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Do terriers smell less doggy than other breeds?
Cotelette d'Agneau
Joseph E. Smith

Lambchop wrote:Do terriers smell less doggy than other breeds?
Not in my experience, but then again, I rather like "doggie bouquet". :D

I think that smaller dogs don't seem to be as smelly as bigger dogs, but I'm pretty certain it is because of a smaller surface area. All dogs have thier own speciffic odor, it is packed with loads of information about the dog for other dogs to determine.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Lambchop wrote:Do terriers smell less doggy than other breeds?
Not in my experience, but then again, I rather like "doggie bouquet". :D

I think that smaller dogs don't seem to be as smelly as bigger dogs, but I'm pretty certain it is because of a smaller surface area. All dogs have thier own speciffic odor, it is packed with loads of information about the dog for other dogs to determine.
You can smell it and you still like it? :o

I nearly go out of my mind having to go inside a PetsMart.

There are a few dogs in my building. One, a Boston terrier, brushed against my pants leg in the elevator as I was going to work. I was positively tortured by the smell all day. Several other people could smell it, too. Gack.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Joseph E. Smith

Lambchop wrote:
You can smell it and you still like it? :o
Sure I do. But, for those dog owners out there that find it bit too much, keeping your pet clean (bathing it on a regular basis etc... ), greatly reduces the odor. All mammals (especially male humans) stink to one degree or another, keeping clean manages this significantly.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

JES wrote:All mammals (especially male humans) stink to one degree or another, keeping clean manages this significantly.
... or not. (hee-hee-hee) :twisted:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

djm wrote:
JES wrote:All mammals (especially male humans) stink to one degree or another, keeping clean manages this significantly.
... or not. (hee-hee-hee) :twisted:

djm

Oh, dear!
Cotelette d'Agneau
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:Not in my experience, but then again, I rather like "doggie bouquet". :D
But dogs asssess each other by intimately sniffing each other's arses! How precisely do you assess "doggie bouquet," Joseph? Have you a better method? I hope so... :D
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

Terriers smell no better or worse than any other dog who is frequently or unfrequently bathed.
One, a Boston terrier, brushed against my pants leg in the elevator as I was going to work. I was positively tortured by the smell all day. Several other people could smell it, too. Gack.
I suspect you may have gotten a substance produced and expressed from the dog's anal glands on you. This would account for the terrible lingering smell. All dogs have these and indoor dogs often have trouble with these glands not being emptied as they would if the dog were an outside dog able to "go" whenever it needs to. That stuff reeks and the smell is not easy to get rid of.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

cowtime wrote:Terriers smell no better or worse than any other dog who is frequently or unfrequently bathed.
One, a Boston terrier, brushed against my pants leg in the elevator as I was going to work. I was positively tortured by the smell all day. Several other people could smell it, too. Gack.
I suspect you may have gotten a substance produced and expressed from the dog's anal glands on you. This would account for the terrible lingering smell. All dogs have these and indoor dogs often have trouble with these glands not being emptied as they would if the dog were an outside dog able to "go" whenever it needs to. That stuff reeks and the smell is not easy to get rid of.

Eww. Eww. Eww.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Joseph E. Smith

SteveShaw wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:Not in my experience, but then again, I rather like "doggie bouquet". :D
But dogs asssess each other by intimately sniffing each other's arses! How precisely do you assess "doggie bouquet," Joseph? Have you a better method? I hope so... :D
Uh.... ummm... eh.... ummm... uh..... erm..... :D

Dogs do have a gland near the base of their tail (other than anal glands)and it does serve as an identification/state of health/biological message board.

Anal glands are a whole 'nuther story. :shock:
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

On the other hand, if it's just the natural "doggy odor" that bothers you (as in the way your hand smells after petting a dog), the curly coated breeds, such as poodles, pulik, Kerry blues, soft-coated wheatens, etc., generally have very little of it. In 18 years of living with a poodle, it would always amaze me when I'd pet a different dog and my hand would come away smelling "doggy"...I just wasn't used to that anymore! I don't find it an unpleasant smell, though.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!