Hilarity-The Weekender brush with fame

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Hilarity-The Weekender brush with fame

Post by The Weekenders »

Me on teevee yesterday. I didn't have any speaking lines (I'm the one in the inauthentic shades playing the psaltery), my cousin Martha did the talking. The behind camera experience with the reporter was keeping us in stitches. She was brainiacally challenged, yet her bio claims she has a Master's. Listen at the end where she says she can't hear anything. It was a shoestring budget one-camera deal. Her name is pronounced BLONCH, as she made clear.

[report]
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Dale
The Landlord

Re: Hilarity-The Weekender brush with fame

Post by Dale »

The Weekenders wrote: Her name is pronounced BLONCH, as she made clear.
Yeah. Gee, you know, I don't think I would have gone with BLONCH. I mean, that's roughly the sound a bodhran player makes when throwing up after drinking. Of course, now that I think about it, they don't really throw up after drinking, do they?
djm

Post by djm »

Have they removed it? Other than the link to The Presidio I'm not seeing anything other than text.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

still shows on mine. It starts black then goes to opening frame...
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

djm wrote:Have they removed it? Other than the link to The Presidio I'm not seeing anything other than text.

djm
Same problem here.

Slan,
D. :-?
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Hilarity-The Weekender brush with fame

Post by Nanohedron »

Dale wrote:
The Weekenders wrote: Her name is pronounced BLONCH, as she made clear.
Yeah. Gee, you know, I don't think I would have gone with BLONCH. I mean, that's roughly the sound a bodhran player makes when throwing up after drinking. Of course, now that I think about it, they don't really throw up after drinking, do they?
BLONCH? Ouch. I knew of someone named Renee, but she pronounced it REENIE. Made me think of kidneys and ureters every time.

I'd have to skip the link even if it worked. My irksome 'puter would do the e-quivalent of going cataleptic.

This was also not a medical post. It just ended up sounding like it might be.
Last edited by Nanohedron on Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

I didn't see no badges.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Well, I saw it and heard it, after I upgraded my Flash player to version 9, like it told me (bossy old software!).
Shame you couldn't hear much of what you were playing, Weeks. It's hard to play while someone's shouting in your ear. But you did get to say hello. If only you could have shown them your pantaloons!

That's the biggest Psaltery I've ever seen. I've only ever seen ones you could hold in one hand, and play with a tiny bow in the other hand.

It's the fellow at the back in the Tricorn hat I feel sorry for. That was a real person, right, & not a shopwindow mannequin?

I think the shades and the fedora could catch on... :)
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Alan
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

Nice going, Weekski!

Not a speaking part?? I thought you delivered the line "the psaltery" with great conviction and found it a very moving moment. When do we see your interview on that actors studio program? 8)

Blanch's interviewing skills did leave just a bit to be desired, eh? :lol:
Alan
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I could get it. Thank goodness Martha had a lot to say! Blanche's voice---I think she should see a coach---is entirely too loud and too piercing. Man, it really kind of gave me a headache. I'm glad that audio interview finally came on too---although I admit, I was sort of dying to see what poor Blanche would do if it didn't come through. I think Martha would have bailed her out. Weekenders, you made a nice group there and Martha's comments were very illuminating.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Sounds like Blonch matches her name. Poor girl.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

Hey, are those period shades you're wearing? Sort of a rock-star psalterer look. I was suprised to learn that you are several centuries old. (Blanche: "We're here with living descendants who came to the presidio 230 years ago...")

I thought Martha was really going to demonstrate the nursing-accessibility of that blouse more graphically, a couple times. Blonch looked a little nervous, there.
Last edited by herbivore12 on Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

I too was very moved by your delivery of the line " the psaltery" Weekski.
I think the camera man did you an injustice however. Another second or two of the spotlight might have given much more power to your performance and possibly led to a leading role in a major motion picture..;)

All kidding aside, that was pretty cool Weekski...:)
Jack

Post by Jack »

Awesome! You make me proud to know you!
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Yeah, that's what was funny, the overall unease. Blonch was practically shouting because tourist buses kept passing by and she was afraid of losing the audio. Martha was winging it and indeed, I was beginning to wonder about the nursing bit. The cameraman was ordering everyone around because he was the only pro. It created the kind of tension that makes you want to laugh and rebel and...well, I did my part.

Martha is probably the foremost expert on Spanish and Mexican period era women's clothing. She has an unpublished clothing manual for the Petaluma Adobe that is awesome and she stitched about 30 full costumes for volunteers doing re-enactments. [park]. It was one of the homes of her GGGrandfather Gen. Vallejo.

Russ Ruiz, the big guy in the background with the funny hat, is very active in Santa Barbara re-enactment circles and is a distant relation. He frequently portrays either presidio comandantes, soldados [soldados info], King Charles III, etc. He came all the way up for this wingding.

If you watched the whole clip, you might have seen Don Garate on horseback. he is the chief ranger at [Tumacamori National Park] in Arizona. He portrays Anza down there and is in the middle of writing a three volume history of the Anza family. Both father and son were quite interesting fellows.

The psaltery is a hog-nose type, not played with a bow but plucked. Father Font brought one on the expedition at Anza's request because you can demonstrate the basic diatonic scale, modes and even chords on it. I built it from a kit and put the gold crosses on it.

thanks for comments. It was fun to finally be noticed. We were even on Spanish teevee though I can't find the link Every year, this celebration is completely overshadowed by the Gay Pride Parade. This year, the Parade was a week early and the organization decided to do it on the actual weekday of June 27 anyway, which is the official SF birthday but not really the correct date. It's more like June 16, when my 7GGrandfather began the construction of the Presidio.

This seems to be a high point in Anza Trail history. The NPS has finished most of their trail markings and site developments, there is a new book out about the expedition, and our overall goal of getting Americans to include it along with the California and Oregon Trail is progressing. It's a very interesting story.

More info : [here] and my cousin's site (he's the guy on Martha's right [here]
Last edited by The Weekenders on Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.