Ornamental Troubles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
scheky
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Ornamental Troubles

Post by scheky »

Ok, this isn't about having trouble PLAYING ornaments, but rather getting them in the right place so the music feels RIGHT.

Assuming that we all know the standard rules for ornamenting, there's always that ONE song or part of a song that simply eludes us as to what can be added to great effect.

For me, it's actually a simple one. Ballydesomnd #2. Specifically the A part (the B part has some lovely spots almost screaming for ornaments). It's just that stinkin A part. Aside from the double A (which is a good spot to grab a breath if needed or drop a tap/cut if not) every ornament I really try until the lower register G note just feels, well...forced.

Now, I'm a very vocal admirer of the "less if often better" school. That said, I also know I'm missing some opportunities to change up how that part sounds that I just can't think of.

So, with that diatribe aside, what's your personal Bugbear? Perhaps we as a group can recommend differing ways to play old favorites (that are still deeply tradtional) that give us no end of difficulty.

I can't be the only one. Ive even heard some not-so sweet accents on recorded works that just didn't quite sound right.
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Which Ballydesmond polka do you mean? Unfortunately, there are multiple "numbering systems", and (for instance) the one I think of as #2 is not the one my wife thinks of as #2.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
scheky

Post by scheky »

You are correct

X: 1
T: Ballydesmond #2
M: 2/4
L: 1/8
Q: 300
R: Polka
F:http://www.qmcorp.net/webabc/bigfolder/cce-session.abc 2006-06-13 18:26:46 UT
K: Ador
EA AB|cd e2|G>F GA|GE ED|
EA AB|cd e>f|ge dB|A2 A2 :|
a>g ab|ag ef|g>f ga|ge ed|
ea ab| ag e>f|ge dB|A2 A2 :|
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Put aside that abc version of the tune and listen to other versions or other printed versions. There are loads of variations possible and you may be locking yourself into how this one is written. Besides ornamentation, you'll hear different combinations of notes through a phrase that lend themselves to other embellishments.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

Listen to fiddlers and do what they do. IMHO polkas go best if you don't mess around with them too much. They take almost no finger ornamentation. On the flute I'll generally push the backbeats, viz: ha-TA ha-TA ha-TA ha-TA, but that's about it. Just get a good groove going, that's all you need.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Ro3b wrote:IMHO polkas go best if you don't mess around with them too much. They take almost no finger ornamentation.
I agree, I use very little ornamentation in either of the Ballydesmonds.
scheky

Post by scheky »

That's probably why it sounds so forced.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

scheky wrote:That's probably why it sounds so forced.
Yeah. That second A needs an accent, so a finger ornament would
take away from the polka rhythm, I think.
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I do roll the G in the A part, but it's a different sort of roll than what I play in any other tune...more like a dotted eighth note and two sixteenth notes. Normally I play my rolls very even. It seems to work for me, but I'm not an expert on polkas.

I usually cut the two E's but I don't think I do with the A's. I do play some triplets as well.

I'll record a version of my playing later after the kids are asleep and post it. I'd be interested in some feedback on it anyway.

-Brett

tune: http://www.bloomington.in.us/~brett/bally_desmond_2.mp3

I had to go outside so you may hear crickets and cars driving by...
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Took a shot at the tune just for example (good or bad, you decide). When someone says, "I roll the second a or cut the third b," I think, "don't tell me, show me." My brain's too lazy to work out the details from reading about them. (Edit: Hey, Brett, you posted while I was doing my one.)
<a href="http://www.tinwhistletunes.com/clipssni ... llydesmond Polka #2
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
talasiga

Re: Ornamental Troubles

Post by talasiga »

scheky wrote:Ok, this isn't about having trouble PLAYING ornaments, but rather getting them in the right place so the music feels RIGHT.
sweetie, if its not in the right place it is not an ornament.
whoever heard of a necklace ornamenting an ear?
:lol:
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Bretton wrote:I do roll the G in the A part, but it's a different sort of roll than what I play in any other tune...more like a dotted eighth note and two sixteenth notes. Normally I play my rolls very even. It seems to work for me, but I'm not an expert on polkas.
Yeah, I do something like that too -- basically capturing the G>F G thing that's there in the ABCs, but doing it as G>G G using a roll.

I've no idea if that's even vaguely traditional, but it feels right.

That does remind me I need to sit down and listen carefully to the Denis Murphy / Julia Clifford recording of the Ballydesmonds....
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Blaydo

Post by Blaydo »

Heres another version of it you might get something from:
http://www.esatclear.ie/~lorenzo/Variou ... olka_1.MP3

It's from an Irish tune book cd and is listed there as 1 not 2.
riverman

Post by riverman »

If we're talking about the Ballydesomod Polka, I love it. I usually slide up into that G, and cut the second of the double As. I'm not advanced enough to change my ornamentation for each measure--that's future for me. But I vary the timing.
Grey Larsen's "Tin Whistle Toolbox" tutorial has songs with ornamentation symbols added. and his "The Toolbox Tune Collection" has 18 songs with ornamentation added, and CDs. These help me a lot.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.