Argh!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mitch
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Argh!

Post by Mitch »

I just sanded all the skin of my G and A on a belt sander!

It's very hard to play through bandaids.

Cuts and strikes are feeling like ... cuts and strikes ("ooh" and "ouch" have become my new embellishmernt). and there lots more typos in my posts.

How long does it take for skin to grow back? Are there any short-cuts(ouch) :boggle:
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
gonzo914
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Argh!

Post by gonzo914 »

Mitch wrote:I just sanded all the skin of my G and A on a belt sander!

It's very hard to play through bandaids.

Cuts and strikes are feeling like ... cuts and strikes ("ooh" and "ouch" have become my new embellishmernt). and there lots more typos in my posts.

How long does it take for skin to grow back? Are there any short-cuts(ouch) :boggle:
Band-aid brand adhesive bandages (and anyone else's, too) are a pain in the ass when whistling. They don't seal with a damn. So for small finger cuts and scrapes, I dab on a little cyanoacrylate glue (a.k.a. CA glue, Super Glue, etc.).

I am not, however, suggesting you try this, as I have no idea how adept you are with glue. (Hopefully, better than with a belt sander) There's always the chance that you could glue your finger to your whistle (or to something worse) if you don't let it get good and dry before you touch things. And when using CA glue as a bandage, one must be very careful to disinfect the wound very thoroughly before applying the glue, or you'll seal in festering crawlie germs and your finger will go bad and drop off, then you'd never be able to play a G again.

In the event you are making model rockets or fixing a broken whistle and want to learn about CA glue, here's the wikipedia article on Cyanoacrylate and another from the folks at The Straight Dope. Note that the second article points out that medical CA glue is slightly different from the stuff you get at the hobby shop, which can burn you if slathered on in large amounts.

Again, I would stress that I am not recommending this course of action. I am not a doctor and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, and just because I'm silly enough to put glue on my fingers and just leave it there while the wound heals under it until the glue just wears off doesn't mean you have to be.

Medical CA glue is marketed under the names Dermabond and Traumaseal, but you may have to actually end up in the ER to get these.
Last edited by gonzo914 on Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Oh my God!

I've just super glued my whistle to my forehead!!
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I use cyanoacrylate glue all the time for small cuts and scrapes I get in the shop (whistle making literally requires blood, sweat, and tears :wink: ). Drop it on, LET IT DRY COMPLETELY before touching anything, then just go about your business.
When my wife had gastric bypass surgery, they used Dermabond on her 5 laparascopy incisions and the healing was very impressive.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Mitch wrote:I just sanded all the skin of my G and A on a belt sander!
Nice nomenclature. Took me a second, but makes sense now.
springrobin
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

How about Bandaid's liquid bandage stuff? We keep it in our first aid kit for times when a bandaid would get in the way- it's great for paper cuts since those are often on the finger tips......
talasiga

tt4tp 2'

Post by talasiga »

medical type advice is proscribed here as far as I can remember. there was a sh*t fite about it some time a ago.

so, mitch, i will resist temptation and simply offer condolences for your naked Ma and Pa.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
gonzo914
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gonzo914 »

springrobin wrote:How about Bandaid's liquid bandage stuff? We keep it in our first aid kit for times when a bandaid would get in the way- it's great for paper cuts since those are often on the finger tips......
I didn't know about this stuff, so I looked it up -- Band-Aid Liquid Bandage. It's a CA glue from Johnson and Johnson, the same folks who make Dermabond (but it's not Dermabond). It's probably better for you than that oily, sawdust-encrusted tube of Super Glue that's been sitting for two years in the drawer under the microwave buried under the batteries, tape and pliers
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Mitch wrote:Oh my God!

Has it improved your reception?
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Tia

Post by Tia »

Try that liquid stuff that is like a bandaid, I remember I had a bandaid on once, and my clairnet sounded aweful, it took me a while to realize it was because of a bandaid.
-Music is a magic beyond everything-
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Arghis right.
/Bloomfield
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: tt4tp 2'

Post by Nanohedron »

talasiga wrote:medical type advice is proscribed here as far as I can remember.
Only so far as questions about organic and mental illnesses and suggested treatment opinions go. In the case of abrasions, joint pains from playing, breath issues, dry mouth or annoying salivation, etc., Dale himself has let us know that practical suggestions such as posture, grip, and bandaging in some instances -as well as discussing what one drinks or snacks on- are acceptable.

Might seem arbitrary to some, but let's take advantage! :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Oh, yeah: organ donation's out, too. Unless we're talking about diapasons and such. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

crookedtune wrote:
Mitch wrote:Oh my God!

Has it improved your reception?
Does it look good? :) Is this something we should try? What kind of whistle is it?
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
syn whistles

Post by syn whistles »

[quote="Mitch"]I just sanded all the skin of my G and A on a belt sander!

Looks like Oz whistles didn't work out and it's back to safecracking?
So good it has to be a SYN!