my new goldfish Update: BRIGITTE IS DEAD

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

Remember last August when there was a discussion about betta fish? Rob G told me all about them.

Just a few days later at Walmart, there were a number of bettas on a dark, depressing shelf in the back. All but one of them were dead. The remaining one looked awful--faded and pale--but I felt so terrible about it that I bought him. I thought he'd die, but I didn't want him dying in that horrible, filthy little container.

At home, I put him in a pretty 1-gallon spherical bowl, gave him a meal of betta kibble, and was rewarded the next morning by the sight of a happy, healthy, brilliantly colored, deep-red fish. He had even built a bubble nest during the night.

It's been 10 months. He's still happy and healthy. This is what he looks like, except that his fins and tail are about twice as long:

I named him Cranberry. :wink:
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Lambchop wrote:Remember last August when there was a discussion about betta fish? Rob G told me all about them.

Just a few days later at Walmart, there were a number of bettas on a dark, depressing shelf in the back. All but one of them were dead. The remaining one looked awful--faded and pale--but I felt so terrible about it that I bought him. I thought he'd die, but I didn't want him dying in that horrible, filthy little container.

At home, I put him in a pretty 1-gallon spherical bowl, gave him a meal of betta kibble, and was rewarded the next morning by the sight of a happy, healthy, brilliantly colored, deep-red fish. He had even built a bubble nest during the night.

It's been 10 months. He's still happy and healthy. This is what he looks like, except that his fins and tail are about twice as long:

Will the irony ever cease?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Cranberry wrote:
jsluder wrote:
Congratulations wrote: Sorry, you're too late. It's already named Betty.
Bruce. (But only if it's an Australian goldfish.)
I already told you it's Japanese.
Elic?
(apologies to our Japanese members...)
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

brewerpaul wrote:
Cranberry wrote:
jsluder wrote: Bruce. (But only if it's an Australian goldfish.)
I already told you it's Japanese.
Elic?
(apologies to our Japanese members...)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Jack

Post by Jack »

If I ever get a white fish (besides the goldfish, which is already named Brigitte), I must name it Lambchop.

Or Rambchop, if I'm feeling really poststructural.
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

Sushi. :D
Hi. My name is David and I'm a whistleholic.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I went to my flute lesson yesterday, and my teacher had a new fishbowl
on his desk. In it was a betta that he had named "MacBeth". I thought
it appropriate.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

DavidT wrote:Sushi. :D
Gasp!
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Lambchop wrote:Remember last August when there was a discussion about betta fish? Rob G told me all about them.

I'm so glad that you rescued him, Lamby. How sad it is that the employees didn't even care to look at their own inventory, thus allowing them to die! It makes me want to put them into a bowl, not feed them or give them a clean place to lay their heads, and see how they like it :swear:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

izzarina wrote: How sad it is that the employees didn't even care to look at their own inventory, thus allowing them to die! It makes me want to put them into a bowl, not feed them or give them a clean place to lay their heads, and see how they like it :swear:
This is why Walmart should not be allowed to sell fish. (Although conditions are hardly better at Petco or any of the other chain pet stores.)
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Flyingcursor wrote:

Will the irony ever cease?
Irony? What irony? I'm serious. I named him "Cranberry" because of his lovely color. He's exactly the color of fresh, ripe New England cranberries. Everyone thinks the name fits.

Cranberries are one of my favorite snacks. Should I refuse to eat them? Turn up my nose at cranberry juice? Boycott Thanksgiving celebrations . . . just in case?

Besides, he's got me blocked, so that post was officially invisible to him. The rule is that if you've announced that you've blocked someone, you cannot complain further about their posts. You cannot eat your cake and still have it.

Thank you, Izz. You, too, Gonzo.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

gonzo914 wrote:
izzarina wrote: How sad it is that the employees didn't even care to look at their own inventory, thus allowing them to die! It makes me want to put them into a bowl, not feed them or give them a clean place to lay their heads, and see how they like it :swear:
This is why Walmart should not be allowed to sell fish. (Although conditions are hardly better at Petco or any of the other chain pet stores.)
That's why my daughter quit her job at the local SuperPets. Too many animals dying daily.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Re: my new goldfish

Post by flanum »

Cranberry wrote:I had to have her euthanized within a month.

:)
:o :o Without being sarcastic, how the hell does one Euthenize a fish??
Surely just a flick to the head or a swift flush down the toilet?

By the way, what about "Kaya" as a name. It is the name of the lead singer from "youth in asia"...... geddit!
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youth_in_Asia

:wink:
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Jack

Post by Jack »

Clove oil.
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

Cranberry wrote:Clove oil.
Explain?
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?