Life changes.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Whistlin'Dixie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Walden wrote:I think at this point I'm more worried I can't get in than worried I can't handle it.
You'll get in.

M
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

BTW-- what are you considering studying?
English.

My sister and aunt are also going back to college, so I'll not be entirely alone.

I've already completed quite a bit of my basic courses.
Reasonable person
Walden
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I'm delighted to hear it Walden. I'm sure you'll do fine.

As a group, mature age students are easily the most literate and accomplished students I teach. They know why they are at University and they want to get everything they can out of it. They are a joy to teach.
Byll
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Go for it, my friend. Let me know how I can support you...
Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
fearfaoin

Re: Life changes.

Post by fearfaoin »

Hooray for Walden! Good luck, buckle down, and all that tosh.
Do you already have a career in mind? I always enjoy your writing.
missy wrote:He wants to be a vet, but I really don't think he can handle the class load needed - so I'm helping him search out other options in related fields. Luckily there is a 2 year program here for vet techs that may be more appropriate.
Vet schools are really, really tough to get into. They really don't
want any of their students to fail the Board Exam, so generally,
the screening's good: if they let you in you can be a vet. The
NCSU Vet school where my wife went have only had someone
fail the board once in the 10 years I've been paying attention.

Either way, has your son volunteered or worked at any vet clinics
yet? It's pretty necessary for getting into the school, and might
make him change his mind, if he sees what that job entails.
I'd rather be a dental hygenist than a vet tech, myself... people
are (oddly) easier to hold down.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Walden wrote:
BTW-- what are you considering studying?
English.
A man after my own heart! It's the best thing in the world to study, and I'm sure you'll do swimmingly. Good luck, man!
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Jack

Post by Jack »

avanutria wrote:That's excellent news, Walden! I know you'll make it, and enjoy it too. Please ask us if you have questions about financial aid, college life etc, we'll be happy to help in any way we can.
Me too! I am extremely happy to answer any questions I can.

I am a self-supporting chronically ill college student who never attended a day of high school, so I know it's possible to go to college with a hard background. You will find that not everybody is a 17 year old middle class white person in good health, there are actually a lot more of us who struggle than you might realize. It's doable, Walden, and I commend you!!
carrie

Re: Life changes.

Post by carrie »

Walden wrote: I'm telling you all of this because, frankly, I need the moral support.
Enthusiastically offered! Good for you, Walden! I hated high school, but I loved every minute of college in all ways. I'm *really* happy for you!

Carol
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Great idea, Walden. I did far, far better with my grades when I re-entered college after time away and some more living under my belt. You'll get in, and you'll do fine.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

You'll do fine. I've been wanting to go back and do a graduate degree but haven't been modivated enough to do it.. I'll just live vicariously through you if that's ok.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

chas wrote:I think the most important thing, in terms of not worrying, is to go to school for the learning rather than the grades, career opportunities, or whatever. I had a crisis year during which I realized this. My grades were just as good after I decided that I wasn't going for grades as they were before -- it's just that I did worse in classes I didn't care about, but better in the classes I did care about.
You're right. I came to the same realization. I quit letting people push me to take what they think I can "make money at" and am going to a major that I feel I am more in harmony with.
Wombat wrote:As a group, mature age students are easily the most literate and accomplished students I teach. They know why they are at University and they want to get everything they can out of it. They are a joy to teach.
I don't know if I'll take the label mature age student, but yeah, it is a big difference to know you're there because you want to be. When I first left high school, I wasn't there because I wanted to be. After thirteen years sitting in school I was pretty sick of it.
Cranberry wrote: I am a self-supporting chronically ill college student who never attended a day of high school, so I know it's possible to go to college with a hard background. You will find that not everybody is a 17 year old middle class white person in good health, there are actually a lot more of us who struggle than you might realize. It's doable, Walden, and I commend you!!
Thanks Cran.
Nanohedron wrote:Great idea, Walden. I did far, far better with my grades when I re-entered college after time away and some more living under my belt. You'll get in, and you'll do fine.
I hope so.
beowulf573 wrote:You'll do fine. I've been wanting to go back and do a graduate degree but haven't been modivated enough to do it.. I'll just live vicariously through you if that's ok.
Well, you might ought to pick somebody more venturesome to live vicariously through. :)
Reasonable person
Walden
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

My advice is to pursue it as vigorously as possible, don't falter and put yourself in a space where doubts are irrelevant even if it feels super unfamiliar.

I know from experience that each year that passes lowers the probability you will have the energy to go back to school. I think about it (getting my Master's) then I do the Mark Twain thing (regarding exercise) and lay down till the thought goes away.

Very best wishes.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Walden, I applaud your decision, and I'm sure you'll do very well. :thumbsup:

I went to college right out of high school, and I wish I'd had the foresight to pick a field of study I loved rather than one I could tolerate and that would pay the bills. It has payed the bills, and there are days when I enjoy the work, but overall it's just a job, not a vocation.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Walden wrote:
Wombat wrote:As a group, mature age students are easily the most literate and accomplished students I teach. They know why they are at University and they want to get everything they can out of it. They are a joy to teach.
I don't know if I'll take the label mature age student, but yeah, it is a big difference to know you're there because you want to be. When I first left high school, I wasn't there because I wanted to be. After thirteen years sitting in school I was pretty sick of it.
Odd though it probably sounds, someone two or three years out of school who didn't go directly to university is classed as a mature age student around here. And even someone in his or her mid twenties is usually much better equipped than all but the most motivated younger students. I took a year and half off before doing my honours year and went from being a very average student to one in a position to win graduate scholarships—it was a huge turnaround. I wasn't ready for university first time around but I was hungry when I returned.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Wombat wrote:Odd though it probably sounds, someone two or three years out of school who didn't go directly to university is classed as a mature age student around here.
I never went to high school at all, and I didn't start college until I was 19, so I am a mature-aged student.
Wombat wrote:And even someone in his or her mid twenties is usually much better equipped than all but the most motivated younger students. I took a year and half off before doing my honours year and went from being a very average student to one in a position to win graduate scholarships—it was a huge turnaround. I wasn't ready for university first time around but I was hungry when I returned.
This is good advice. Teenagers who have their mommies and daddies paying for their college and who don't have to work to support themselves tend to do worse in life overall, from my experience, even if they graduate with a degree because that's all they've ever known, is being a provided for.

It's people like me and Walden, who choose for ourselves to go to college, and who struggle with all the "how"s and "when"s and "what if"s, and who know on our own terms, through our own efforts (not the efforts of parents), the value of an education, who do better in college and life in general. At least, I believe so.