Life changes.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Life changes.

Post by Walden »

I talk a lot around here, I suppose, and even about my background and such, but when it comes right down to it, I am reserved about speaking much of my personal life.

I've discussed it with one of my friends from C&F, and feel I'd like to go ahead and share with the broader C&F community what I am up to.

I am in process of trying to go back to school at the university. I had some setbacks in life, most of which I feel were health related, and I feel that the time has come, since my health crisis of a bit over a year ago, that I have improved enough that I want to pursue my education.

In the past I did not make very good grades. This was not for lack of intellectual capabilities (I scored high on my entrance exam), but because I was so nervous. I never had really clicked with school. I was in the gifted program, and even made the academic bowl team, but my grades were... academic probation material. In high school, it was a challenge for me to get my grades up enough so I could participate in just one speech club competition (yes... I was far too nervous for speech club... I placed dead last when I did compete).

But I feel like I have had some breakthroughs, emotionally, and have some of the underlying physical problems more under control, and that the time is right for me to go back to school.

I'm telling you all of this because, frankly, I need the moral support. Trying to get the financial aid and get everything straightened out is a challenge in itself.
Reasonable person
Walden
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Walden, hats off to you for facing such a challenge. No worries, you'll do good. :)
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

That's excellent news, Walden! I know you'll make it, and enjoy it too. Please ask us if you have questions about financial aid, college life etc, we'll be happy to help in any way we can.
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Life changes.

Post by missy »

Walden wrote:
In the past I did not make very good grades. This was not for lack of intellectual capabilities (I scored high on my entrance exam), but because I was so nervous. I never had really clicked with school. I was in the gifted program, and even made the academic bowl team, but my grades were... academic probation material.
Walden, as the parent of a highly gifted child, I've had to do a lot of research. What you describe above is actually quite common with gifted, especially highly gifted people. MANY highly gifted kids are high school drop-outs. Our school system is just not set up to teach these kids in appropriate ways (I won't get on the soapbox here..).

Hopefully you'll find professors that understand your unique capabilities and help you nuture those. I truly worry about getting Noah through high school (he did pretty good this year, but it's a constant struggle) and know he'll never be "big" university material. He wants to be a vet, but I really don't think he can handle the class load needed - so I'm helping him search out other options in related fields. Luckily there is a 2 year program here for vet techs that may be more appropriate.

Long post short...... you have all my support and good wishes.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Go for it Walden! Your smarts are not in question, I know you're smarter than me!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

It's clear from your postings that yer a smart dude, Walden.
Best of luck mate. It won't be easy, but it should be worth it.

Here in Yurp we have a thing called the Open University, which lets adults study and get grades in their spare time. You can even get up to Ph.D. level, if you are committed enough, and intelligent enough. I realise this isn't what you are doing, but is there anything like the OU in the US?
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Good job. Please keep us informed of your progress and you'll find no lack of moral support. I'm sure there are plenty here who can help direct you in the areas of financial aid and such.

It's too bad that the Dale Carnegie course isn't available to everyone cheaply. It would cure you of your nervousness.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Here in Yurp we have a thing called the Open University, which lets adults study and get grades in their spare time. You can even get up to Ph.D. level, if you are committed enough, and intelligent enough. I realise this isn't what you are doing, but is there anything like the OU in the US?
Nothing nationalised as far as I know, but many individual universities have "distance learning" courses which are online, often part-time, courses for adults.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Innocent Bystander wrote:I realise this isn't what you are doing, but is there anything like the OU in the US?
The Sooners.
Reasonable person
Walden
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I started back to college from ground zero when the youngest of my 4 sons was one year old.

The toughest part was making the first move to do it.
Filling out the paperwork and turning it in... It was scary

My college years remain among the best years of my life...

I couldn't be bothered to make good grades in high school,either, but ended up kicking butt in college, and I bet you will too, Walden.
Best of luck.

Just turn in the forms and go.

M
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Walden, I wish you every success and commend you on your decision to return to school. Good on you buddy!!!

If you ever need a sounding board or shoulder, I'm just a PM away sir.

All the best to you and your endeavors.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Walden, you'll do good.

You have my deepest respect and I have no doubt you'll do fine.

--James
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I think at this point I'm more worried I can't get in than worried I can't handle it.
Reasonable person
Walden
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Walden wrote:I think at this point I'm more worried I can't get in than worried I can't handle it.
Go for it , my man! Judging by your postings here, you're a bright perceptive guy and I think you'll get in and do just fine. If for some reason you DON'T get in, keep looking at other options eg online degrees.

As I've related here, I went back to school (nursing) at age 55. I had a lot of the same doubts that you seem to, but I'll tell you it was a wonderful decision. I finally see an end to most of the job dissatisfaction I've faced for many years. Hanging out with a whole new group of people has been terrific. When you come to higher education at a later than usual age, you bring with you a lifetime of perspective that the students fresh out of High School can't even imagine.

BTW-- what are you considering studying?
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I think the most important thing, in terms of not worrying, is to go to school for the learning rather than the grades, career opportunities, or whatever. I had a crisis year during which I realized this. My grades were just as good after I decided that I wasn't going for grades as they were before -- it's just that I did worse in classes I didn't care about, but better in the classes I did care about.

Best of luck, Walden; I know you can succeed at pretty much anything you want.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.