chieftain being sold as an Overton?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Goldie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Goldie »

There is an auction on Ebay at the moment at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... =903501342 advertised as an "Overton pennywhistle". It does not look like an Overton to me. The mouthpiece resembles that of a chieftain and the proportions are different to the Overtons, along with no mentioning of an "Overton" stamp. Obviously the seller is not sure or misinformed. We have written to them and pointed this out and have yet had no reply. People are bidding on this whistle so if you are a bidder be aware that it may not be what you are looking for.
Hope this helps
Colin
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Description

I am pretty sure this is an Overton pennywhistle. It was purchased quite some time ago and I no longer have the paperwork so I am not 100% sure. It is aluminum, key of D. Wide bore. Lots of sound.

Well they made it pretty obvious that they really don't know what they've got. I think that alone should lead to an attitude of "buyer beware."

45 bucks ain't bad for a chieftain anyhow...
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

Holding my own Chieftain D up to the screen to compare it to the tiny picture, the things look identical. I'd expect the seller actually is selling a Cheiftain low D.
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

Hi, Brigitte here, sitting in the MOT office and zipping through old files etc... quite boring so I had a look here. It should be a high D, the bottom 2 holes are typical for the key in this big tube size.
The price is still quite good, when I saw it yesterday it was on something like 29,-- $ and jumped since then. On the other hand if I bid for something no matter how good the price is, if it is not what I expected then I personally would not be happy as I may not have bidded for it in the first place.
Brigitte "bored while clearing my office" Goldie
Phil Hardy

Post by Phil Hardy »

Get back in the workshop and clear your back orders and stop worrying about ebay,I'm sure people can tell the difference after 5 year,you've certainly prattled on about it enough.Get a life Colin.
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

On 2002-09-07 15:44, Phil Hardy wrote:
Get back in the workshop and clear your back orders and stop worrying about ebay,I'm sure people can tell the difference after 5 year,you've certainly prattled on about it enough.Get a life Colin.
Gee Phil, I think this post is of legitimate value to the whistle community.
I know I'd be more than a little bit upset if I bought a whistle that was supposed to be an Overton and it turned out to be a Chieftan.
Maybe the whistle in question is a Chieftan that someone has put an Overton stamp on, and that's what's causing the confusion... but what kind of person would do such a dishonest thing?
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Brilliant post raindog. :lol:
I couldn't have said it better.
As for you Phil :roll:
Chris

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChrisLaughlin on 2002-09-07 17:23 ]</font>
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Colin

Looking at one of yours and one of Phil's side by side, I concur. In any case, the price ($45 US) was more than fair.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-09-07 15:44, Phil Hardy wrote:
How very mature of you, Phil. No one was casting aspersions at you or your whistles, merely correcting a mistake that didn't involve you. I hadn't thought twice about it until I got to your post, but you've made me sit up and take notice. What are you worried about? Are you afraid someone might recognize one of your whistles? If so, why?

In any case, I'd suggest you get back in your workshop and stop worrying about ebay. You've prattled on long enough. Get a life. <---See how dumb that sounds?
jim_mc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

You know that big giant spotlight with the cutout of a bat that they shine up in the sky over Gotham whenever they need Batman? I wish I had one of those right now, but instead of a bat cutout, it would have a whistle and a big capital letter L.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
JSW

Post by JSW »

On 2002-09-07 19:49, jim_mc wrote:
You know that big giant spotlight with the cutout of a bat that they shine up in the sky over Gotham whenever they need Batman? I wish I had one of those right now, but instead of a bat cutout, it would have a whistle and a big capital letter L.
I don't think we need L-Man for this job, Phil is doing fine all by himself.
StevePower

Post by StevePower »

Sorry to be obtuse, but...

what is L-Man's special power?

Steve
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

In this case, L stands for Loser.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Phil Hardy already quit selling whistles under the name of Overton, what more do you want? You can't expect the sellers on eBay to know the difference. They have trouble even spelling the word for their products in the title line, as if they can't find a dictionary.
Reasonable person
Walden
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I was merely explaining what the L stood for in the previous post. Is there another explanation I'm not aware of?