Is there life on other planets?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tril Bluejacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Is there life on other planets?

Post by Tril Bluejacket »

If you believe there is, do you think ET has visited Earth?

I just finished watching a Science Channel program on the subject and thought it would be interesting to hear what folks here at C&F thought about it.

"We are part of a symbiotic relationship with something which disguises itself as an extra-terrestrial invasion so as not to alarm us."
-Terence McKenna
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

I think they've been coming here doing rectal probes on drunken rednecks in pickup trucks for the last 60 or so years, but all they've learned is that about 10 percent of their specimens don't mind that one little bit.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Yes.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Jack

Post by Jack »

No.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

gonzo914 wrote:I think they've been coming here doing rectal probes on drunken rednecks in pickup trucks for the last 60 or so years, but all they've learned is that about 10 percent of their specimens don't mind that one little bit.
Wow. And here I thought the rednecks were just having wood-alcohol-induced hallucinations. :lol:

As for life on other planets: probably... somewhere... in a galaxy far, far away. But they're probably not humanoid, and not necessarily intelligent or even carbon-based. But I could be wrong. :)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

A more pertinent question is would we recognize it and/or visa versa? Our species has long been plagued with acute tunnel vision in matters of recognizing and respecting intelligence different from our own.
Makes it really easy for those litle buggers to scamper about undetected.
Seriously, mathematecally speaking, the overwhelming probability is that we are not alone.
Hi. My name is David and I'm a whistleholic.
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Something to ponder:

"In this galaxy there is a mathematical probability of 3 million Earth-type planets.
And in all the universe, 3 million million galaxies like this.
And in all of that, and perhaps more, only one of each of us."

Dr. Leonard McCoy
Star Trek TOS
Cheers,
Mark

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want."
Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

DavidT wrote:A more pertinent question is would we recognize it and/or visa versa? Our species has long been plagued with acute tunnel vision in matters of recognizing and respecting intelligence different from our own.
Makes it really easy for those litle buggers to scamper about undetected.
Seriously, mathematecally speaking, the overwhelming probability is that we are not alone.
Dolphins and white mice. :wink:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Jack

Post by Jack »

White mice are some of my favorite things.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I think Carl Sagan said something about the problem being that there were very clear reports of sightings witnessed by single individuals, and there were very fuzzy reports of sightings witnessed by groups, but there had never been a clear report of a sighting witnessed by a group of people. And then there's always the hoax problem.

I myself can't conceive of life on other planets, just can't do it, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible. I mean anything is possible somewhere I guess. But if the universe is infinite in size, then it just seems sort of meaningless to even think about it. Although I can see the attraction in wondering, just like I wonder about other things.

I haven't heard of any evidence that makes me think our planet has been visited.

I did let that SETI project use my computer when I had one that I could leave on. I really was not interested in the project so much as the idea that ordinary computers could be joined together to do a project that no single computer, no matter how huge, now existing could. That was really neat. None of the radio signals my computer analyzed had anything unusual about them. I was so disappointed. :lol:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Why limit yourself to planets? I strongly suspect that just about anywhere you look, you're going to find some kind of life...if you can learn to see it, to recognize it, and, perhaps, to live over the experience.

I would suspect even here on earth, the place we think we know so well, there are kinds of life both large and small which we coexist with but are simply never aware of.

But be careful...if you learn to notice them, they may notice you. :o :lol:

--James
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

gonzo914 wrote:I think they've been coming here doing rectal probes on drunken rednecks in pickup trucks for the last 60 or so years.....

Hey. Wait. How did you.... Uh.. Hey. SHUT UP!!!!
missy

Post by missy »

I'm not "conceited" enough to think there's only "us" (plus I hope somewhere life got it better then it seems to have done here!).

Is it humanoid? Maybe, maybe not. Heck, it may not be carbon based!

But as someone who loves science fiction, there are just so many theories that could be possible - from the idea that mitochondria are really an alien species, to humans being an alien species. I think one of the most fascinating stories of a alien / human interaction is "Childhood's End" by Arthur C. Clarke.

As to whether "they" have come here, perhaps. If they have, and with our history of destroying anything not like "us" - they are pretty darn smart by not announcing themselves.

Klaatu barada nikto
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Possible? Yes, no question about it.

I question more the truth about our lunar excursions than other lifeforms visiting our planet.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

"It's gym life, but not as we know it..." :D
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!