International Foods Exhibited--A Thread by Dale Wisely

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

missy wrote:Cincinnati style chili:

aka - a Coney and a Three Way.

I knew I forgot something the last time I was in Cincinnati.

I don't think there is a typical "American" food.
Last edited by Flyingcursor on Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Irish Stew in the Name of the Law!

(Statue?)

That Ulster Fry looked a bit lean. Where was the Soda Bread? Where was the Wheaten Bread? Where was the Fried Slice? Was there any savoury Duck? And the Cup of Tea?

But you have to make do with some disappointing images.
Even this Irish Stew here, should be stewed for at least an hour longer.
You can still make out the individual carrots and chunks of meat, for goodness sake! It should be one very-nearly homogenous mass. Ideally.
Irish Stew with distinguishable components is for furriners.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

Fish 'n' chips

Roast beef and Yorkshire Pud

Bangers and mash

Toad in the Hole

Cake and Sidney Pud
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

From Wikipedia:

"Other variations are found. A hot dog served with the addition of cheese is known as a "cheese hotdog" or simply a "cheese dog". "Cheese dog" may also refer to a hot dog that contains processed cheese within the hot dog itself. A hot dog served with the addition of chili is typically known as a "chili dog" or "coney dog" in some areas (an exception being New York City's Coney Island).

In Quebec, Canada this is known as a "michigan" due to its popularity and possible origin in that U.S. state."

They are sometimes called that here in Upstate NY too.When I first met my wife, who comes from Michigan, I found this to be one of the real regional linguistic oddities: In MI a certain type of hot dog is named after a NY location, and in NY state, that same or similar creation is named after the state of Michigan.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

brewerpaul wrote:From Wikipedia:

"Other variations are found. A hot dog served with the addition of cheese is known as a "cheese hotdog" or simply a "cheese dog". "Cheese dog" may also refer to a hot dog that contains processed cheese within the hot dog itself. A hot dog served with the addition of chili is typically known as a "chili dog" or "coney dog" in some areas (an exception being New York City's Coney Island).

In Quebec, Canada this is known as a "michigan" due to its popularity and possible origin in that U.S. state."

They are sometimes called that here in Upstate NY too.When I first met my wife, who comes from Michigan, I found this to be one of the real regional linguistic oddities: In MI a certain type of hot dog is named after a NY location, and in NY state, that same or similar creation is named after the state of Michigan.

Thas is VERY interesting. There's a place in Kalamazoo, MI called Coney Island that has made it's famous hotdogs with their special chili sauce since the 1950's. I never would have thought that that type of hot dog would be called a Michigan.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Flyingcursor wrote:Thas is VERY interesting. There's a place in Kalamazoo, MI called Coney Island that has made it's famous hotdogs with their special chili sauce since the 1950's.
Only since the 50's?
As I recall, a coney island and a Nehi were the meal of choice for Ryan and Tatum O'Neal in Paper Moon, set in the Depression.
Coney Island in Mich. must be named after the park in NY.
missy

Post by missy »

emmline wrote: Coney Island in Mich. must be named after the park in NY.
We also have a Coney Island here in Cincinnati - it's along the river east of the city. They moved a lot of the rides to Kings Island when it opened - the idea was to have an amusement park that wasn't flooded all the time!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Flyingcursor

Post by Flyingcursor »

emmline wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:Thas is VERY interesting. There's a place in Kalamazoo, MI called Coney Island that has made it's famous hotdogs with their special chili sauce since the 1950's.
Only since the 50's?
As I recall, a coney island and a Nehi were the meal of choice for Ryan and Tatum O'Neal in Paper Moon, set in the Depression.
Coney Island in Mich. must be named after the park in NY.

I was wrong. It opened in 1931. It's called Coney Island Cafe and is indeed named after the Coney Island in New York. What I find amusing is that what we call a "coney dog" isn't called a Coney Dog on Coney Island. That our so-called "coney dog" is called a Michigan or a Jackson (Jackson, MI) elsewhere is especially amusing because I've always thought our "Coney Island" stole the idea from New York.

Here's a blurb:
New York Times June 5, 2003 wrote: While the hot dogs at Madison Square Park may be excellent by local standards, for the best hot dog in the world one must travel west, across the George Washington Bridge, past Wellsville's Texas Hot, upstate, and all the way to East Michigan Avenue in Kalamazoo, Mich.

There, the Coney Island Cafe serves slowly grilled frankfurters on steamed buns garnished with mustard, chopped onion, meat chili sauce (no beans), salt and pepper. Over 75 years the price has crept from 5 cents to $1.50, but the quality and the cafe remain unchanged.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I hate hot dogs.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Here are a few staples at Chez Charles:

Tandoori chicken (Indian barbecue)

Koftas (Indian meatballs)

Red beans and rice

Chicken fajitas
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Flyingcursor

Post by Flyingcursor »

Congratulations wrote:I hate hot dogs.

I'll eat your share then if you don't mind. In fact all this hot dog talk has decided what I'll eat for supper.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

The Great New England Clambake!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Tyghress wrote:Image

The Great New England Clambake!
Kinda makes me miss when I lived near the ocean.
Reasonable person
Walden