Gotta Love the Internet....

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Lambchop
antispam: No

Re: Gotta Love the Internet....

Post by Lambchop »

Cynth wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Found this on a website while I was rummaging around for examples of Leonardo da Vinci's mirror writing (don't ask):

"The beginning of the sixteenth century is the most famous period of Italian art. It was the time of Michelangelo, Raphael, Dürer, Holbein, Giorgione, Titan, Correggio and many other famous masters."

And it was such a nice-looking site, too.
See, this is what worries me. We can catch mistakes like this because we have a little knowledge. But what about other things. The other day I cited something that turned out to be wrong---I should have known better and wouldn't have used the source in a paper, but still. Libraries are good because the people deciding what books to buy are trained and have resources to help them make sure the library is spending its money wisely. We can try to assess the reliability of a website, but if one is truly ignorant about a topic then how can you even do that? Okay, sorry to get so serious.
Yes, I agree! This is worrisome. I try not to let it keep me from sleeping, though.

It's very difficult to know if what you know is correct or not. Certainly, if you recognize that you don't know much, you can be more suspicious and check a little further than you otherwise would. You wouldn't want to feel that you had to, say, get an advanced degree in the subject before speaking on it, but you might want to check a few different references or websites to see if you found the same things.

It can be very challenging, because a lot of websites copy from each other. Misinformation is everywhere! We do have to be on our guard against it, but beyond applying some critical thinking skills . . . there isn't much you can do.

Now that I'm thinking about this, I realize that I say things all the time that might be wrong. Maybe I should worry about this more. Hmmm.
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

scottielvr wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote:Ah, that Titan - I love his stuff! And his paintings are so BIG!

Yeah, him and that other guy, Reuben.
I thought a Reuben was a sandwich.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Denny

Post by Denny »

izzarina wrote:
scottielvr wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote:Ah, that Titan - I love his stuff! And his paintings are so BIG!

izz!!! behave.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Denny wrote:
izzarina wrote:
scottielvr wrote:
izz!!! behave.
:oops: Oh, yeah. I'm sorry....it won't happen again

at least not till tomorrow :twisted:
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Lambchop wrote:
Cynth wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Found this on a website while I was rummaging around for examples of Leonardo da Vinci's mirror writing (don't ask):

"The beginning of the sixteenth century is the most famous period of Italian art. It was the time of Michelangelo, Raphael, Dürer, Holbein, Giorgione, Titan, Correggio and many other famous masters."

And it was such a nice-looking site, too.
See, this is what worries me. We can catch mistakes like this because we have a little knowledge. But what about other things. The other day I cited something that turned out to be wrong---I should have known better and wouldn't have used the source in a paper, but still. Libraries are good because the people deciding what books to buy are trained and have resources to help them make sure the library is spending its money wisely. We can try to assess the reliability of a website, but if one is truly ignorant about a topic then how can you even do that? Okay, sorry to get so serious.
Yes, I agree! This is worrisome. I try not to let it keep me from sleeping, though.

It's very difficult to know if what you know is correct or not. Certainly, if you recognize that you don't know much, you can be more suspicious and check a little further than you otherwise would. You wouldn't want to feel that you had to, say, get an advanced degree in the subject before speaking on it, but you might want to check a few different references or websites to see if you found the same things.

It can be very challenging, because a lot of websites copy from each other. Misinformation is everywhere! We do have to be on our guard against it, but beyond applying some critical thinking skills . . . there isn't much you can do.

Now that I'm thinking about this, I realize that I say things all the time that might be wrong. Maybe I should worry about this more. Hmmm.
Well, I do think that you can find out if the website is affiliated with some institution---or could someone fake that? Websites affiliated with universities or libraries seem pretty trustworthy, or the government, HA HA, okay some offices of it. But, yes, I have been noticing how much copying is done from one website to others. That too is alarming. I was going to discuss washing floors with you on that other thread but it's too late at night now.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cynth wrote:Well, I do think that you can find out if the website is affiliated with some institution---or could someone fake that? Websites affiliated with universities or libraries seem pretty trustworthy, or the government, HA HA, okay some offices of it. But, yes, I have been noticing how much copying is done from one website to others. That too is alarming.
Speaking of alarming . . . and the government . . . I was driving home from work the other morning . . . I'd awakened feeling icky and felt ickier when I got to work, so I went back home . . . listening to the traffic report on NPR. Now, you know that NPR is a reputable group, so you trust what they tell you.

Well, there they said, clear as day, "Information for this traffic report provided by blah-blah-blah-TV, blah-blah-blah something else, and the FBI."

And that was all. No giggles or anything. They were serious.

I don't usually get to hear the traffic report, because I go to work so early, so I don't know if the FBI has a regular presence in NPR traffic reports. Maybe this is part of a kinder, gentler FBI.

I don't know what to think of this. One thing I considered was that maybe the FBI offices overlook the interstate and they had looked out and reported a traffic tie-up or something. Or, maybe they were investigating a huge federal crime and got stuck in traffic and were kind enough to phone it in.

It's nice of them to provide such a wonderful public service, though.
I was going to discuss washing floors with you on that other thread but it's too late at night now.
Well, I would be happy to do that, Cynth. Perhaps tomorrow or another evening this week?
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Lambchop wrote:...Well, there they said, clear as day, "Information for this traffic report provided by blah-blah-blah-TV, blah-blah-blah something else, and the FBI."

And that was all. No giggles or anything. They were serious.

I don't usually get to hear the traffic report, because I go to work so early, so I don't know if the FBI has a regular presence in NPR traffic reports. Maybe this is part of a kinder, gentler FBI.

I don't know what to think of this. One thing I considered was that maybe the FBI offices overlook the interstate and they had looked out and reported a traffic tie-up or something. Or, maybe they were investigating a huge federal crime and got stuck in traffic and were kind enough to phone it in.

It's nice of them to provide such a wonderful public service, though.
I also found this odd in a small but disturbing way, so I googled around a bit. Found mention of NPR traffic reports "brought to you by" or "sponsored by" the FBI on a couple of blogs (California and St. Louis), apparently within the last week. Huh? What's next? "And now, your local weather, brought to you by the Department of Defense"?
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

scottielvr wrote:Huh? What's next? "And now, your local weather, brought to you by the Department of Defense"?
Oh great...next thing you know the rain will be shocking and awesome :P
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

izzarina wrote:
scottielvr wrote:Huh? What's next? "And now, your local weather, brought to you by the Department of Defense"?
Watch out for "The Mother of All Downpours"
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Denny

Post by Denny »

Innocent Bystander wrote:
izzarina wrote:
Watch out for "The Mother of All Downpours"
stay tuned for the latest on "Weather of Mass Destruction"

no...wait...been there...
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Cranberry wrote: She has very distinctive facial features.
yep, that's one way of putting it. :wink: