A comment on moderation

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Looks like the fist in the velvet glove to me.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Cranberry wrote:I support you no matter what you do, Dale. Even though I disagree with much of it, I've come to understand that yes, you do own the forums and you can do whatever you want.

Just what, exactly, are you getting at here? Doing whatever he wants? What the h e l l kind of statement is that? Cran, the rules of this forum are pretty clear and in the announcement forum if you are uncertain of what they might be. If anything, Dale bends over backwards to bend the rules for people.

Perhaps it is just me, but I find this statement in bad form and quite insulting. Think about it.
No, no, I mean it truthfully (not sarcastically at all). I know Dale is always getting picked on for all the different moderational moves he makes, and getting a lot of complaints from a lot of people (including me, even) so I just wanted to voice my full support to him. Yes, I've read the rules and I know them, but I was just saying that I support Dale. That's all I meant. Maybe just "I support you" would have been better. I don't mean it any other way, I promise.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

¡Vivo el Undisputado!
Reasonable person
Walden
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Dale wrote: It's a planarian.

The Planarians, founded in 1823 by the P.D.Q. Penn, great-grandson of William Penn and great-great-great-great-grandfather of Sean Penn, were an offshoot of early 19th century Quakers. They were accepted initially, despite their significant doctrinal differences with the main church and their having what was deemed, for the time, to be an excessive fondness for oatmeal, but eventually they became so strident and annoying that even the Quakers could not tolerate them.

Central tenets of Planarian doctrine --

Because they believe Christ had tapeworms (indicated by his continual production and consumption of loaves and fishes), they hold the common tapeworm to be holy. Consequently, they refuse treatment when infested, and since this makes them always hungry, they celebrate communion five times a day.

Oatmeal is not just for breakfast. The Planarians often employed it as a sex aid, and the phrase "Wouldst thou like to roll mine oats?" was a common question asked by horny young Planarian males when left near a comely (or homely, for that matter) female with no witnesses present.

Although pacifist not so much by nature as by necessity, their chronically tapeworm-weakened constitutions being generally unsuited for fisticuffs of any kind, they were not above decreeing in their catechism "Violence is not the answer, but it does keep certain problems from cropping up again and again and again."

When there was real dirty work to be done, the Planarians typically hired it out.

The Planarians were wracked (or maybe racked, I don't want to look it up now) by a schism in the early 20th century (the so-called Hookworm Heresy), and they very nearly disappeared. But comparatively recent discoveries relating to the use of oatmeal as a heart-healthy food has, unfortunately, caused a resurgence in interest in Planarian society and doctrine. Modern day Planarians are easily identified because they alway eat with their mouths open
Last edited by gonzo914 on Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Jack

Post by Jack »

gonzo914 wrote:
Dale wrote: It's a planarian.

The Planarians, founded in 1823 by the P.D.Q. Penn, great-grandson of William Penn and great-great-great-great-grandfather of Sean Penn, were an offshoot of early 19th century Quakers. They were accepted initially, despite their significant doctrinal differences with the main church and their having what was deemed, for the time, to be an excessive foldness for oatmeal, but eventually they became so strident and annoying that even the Quakers could not tolerate them.

Central tenets of Planarian doctrine --

Because they believe Christ had tapeworms (indicated by his continual production and consumption of loaves and fishes), they hold the common tapeworm to be holy. Consequently, they refuse treatment when infested, and since this makes them always hungry, they celebrate communion five times a day.

Oatmeal is not just for breakfast. The Planarians often employed it as a sex aid, and the phrase "Wouldst thou like to roll mine oats?" was a common question asked by horny young Planarian males when left near a comely (or homely, for that matter) female with no witnesses present.

Although pacifist not so much by nature as by necessity, their chronically tapeworm-weakened constitutions being generally unsuited for fisticuffs of any kind, they were not above decreeing in their catechism "Violence is not the answer, but it does keep certain problems from cropping up again and again and again."

When there was real dirty work to be done, the Planarians typically hired it out.

The Planarians were wracked by a schism in the early 20th century (the so-called Hookwork Heresy), and they very nearly disappeared. But comparatively recent discoveries relating to the use of oatmeal as a heart-healthy food has, unfortunately, caused a resurgence in interest in Planarian society and doctrine. Modern day Planarians are easily identified because they alway eat with their mouths open
:lol:!
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Miwokhill wrote:All boards have moderators who step in and draw the line, move posts to a more appropriate forum and the like. However, in reading all the posts here lately about new compliances to moderation and the new people who are moderators and the like I end up getting kind of a funny, creepy feeling about it. Maybe it's the combination of fawning and at the same time a power struggle not to mention the 'ooh, so and so has just posted 5000 times' ... No doubt necessary to moderate and give accolades but probably just too touchy feely for my sensibilities the way it has come down.
Mike, I think the big deal about the new moderator, Nano, could strike you as weird. People are making lots of jokes about it because Nano has been here so long and so he is getting a lot of ribbing. It might seem like fawning, maybe, if you didn't know that these people have all joked with him on other threads many times. Since he can be pretty crazy, then people are conversing in a crazy way. It is sort of crazy to have a crazy guy be a moderator, if you see what I mean. But good crazy. And they are trying to drive him crazy. If you see what I mean. :lol:

I think the compliance with moderation thing has a history behind it that a person would probably have to have been in pretty constant attendance for awhile to pick up on. There have been a couple of times since I've been here that there was a sort of melt down. People were fighting and feeling horribly bad and upset. Things snowballed. So it is being tried not to let things get to that point yet allow us to say pretty much what we want. I think the people that have been through the meltdowns and also like to be able to say goofy things aren't really fawning, but are actually trying to get the idea across that things seem to be working out. In other words, they don't want too much crack down and they don't want melt down either. So they are honestly saying what they think. And it is hard for the moderators too, so, since we actually do like them as people, you know they participate in the threads and all, then I guess we want to tell them we understand the problems they have sometimes.

The celebration of posts, well, some people get into that and plenty of others don't. You don't get anything by posting alot (like you don't level up and get more power) so there isn't really, I don't think, competition. Really, many people are embarrassed by the number of posts they've made, as in get a life! The number of people participating in anything is really a small percentage of the people that you see around if you think about it.

I don't think there could really be any power struggles going on. One person pays for the website. He invites us to run amok here but there isn't really any power up for grabs that we could be fighting for. Maybe you observed something strange, but I think it must have been something between two people not an overall power-mongering among the participants.

I think you should eat a bag of Red Hot Cheetos. They would get you more into the touchy feely mood! :lol: JUST KIDDING!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Well! Just to put some seriousness back into this thread...

I see a mouth, but no anus. So it can't be Angelina Jolie as I am fairly certain UNHCR Goodwill Ambassadors usually have at least one anus.

Thank goodness I've found, as time passes, I am more often amused than insulted.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Nice post, Cynth, and thank you. Perhaps that's what Miwokhill was meaning. I wasn't altogether sure. I am altogether CRAZY, though. You got that right.

But Red Hot Cheetos? You are a wicked, wicked lass. :twisted:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

dfernandez77 wrote:Well! Just to put some seriousness back into this thread...

I see a mouth, but no anus. So it can't be Angelina Jolie as I am fairly certain UNHCR Goodwill Ambassadors usually have at least one anus.

Thank goodness I've found, as time passes, I am more often amused than insulted.
Well, those intestines must go somewhere!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Planarians ingest and excrete via the same organ, as I recall. We could make analogies about our world leaders from that, I'm sure.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Nanohedron wrote:

Planarians ingest and excrete via the same organ, as I recall. We could make analogies about our world leaders from that, I'm sure.
Well, I'll be. You're right! I guess those little holes on the model were from the molding process :lol: .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planarian wrote: The digestive system consists of a mouth, pharynx, and an intestine. The mouth is located in the center of the underside of the body. Digestive enzymes sercrete from mouth to begin external digestion. The pharynx connects the mouth to the intestines. The intestines of the Planaria branch throughout the body. They eat living or dead small animals which they suck with their muscular mouth. From there the food passes through the pharynx into the intestines and digesting of the food takes place in the cells lining the intestine, which then diffuses to the rest of the body. The undigested food leaves through the pharynx and mouth.
Sadly, I find I am unable to enjoy these creatures even though I know they are very interesting scientifically. I thought leeches were closely related to them but they are more closely related to earthworms. I'm not too keen on leeches either. Oh well.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Nanohedron wrote:POWER STRUGGLE!!!!!

JOSEPH!! What are you doing to poor Nano? :o
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Don't worry. It's just the, um......initiation ritual.

Yeah, that's it.
missy

Post by missy »

Nanohedron wrote:Don't worry. It's just the, um......initiation ritual.

Yeah, that's it.
"Thank you, sir, may I have another......"
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

missy wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Don't worry. It's just the, um......initiation ritual.

Yeah, that's it.
"Thank you, sir, may I have another......"
*snicker*