The Greatest Blues Album Ever--A Post by Dale Wisely

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

dubhlinn wrote:Image

The only reason I ever had to learn the correct spelling of Mississippi.

One of the greats.

Slan,
D. :)
That brings back memories. If I'm not mistaken, I'm Satisfied (not sure that is the real title) is on that one. I listened to that so many times trying to get it on the guitar. I got it better that I thought I could, but I sure wasn't any Mississippi John Hurt :lol: .

The word Mississippi is a pretty bad one. When I was little we used to have a rhythm that we would spell it out in that helped to get it. And once you got it you would go around spelling it out to everyone to prove that you got it. I still spell it out that way on the rare occasion I have to spell it.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
dfernandez77
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

DavidT wrote:Stevie Ray. Forever.
Jimi Hendrix and the others are good, no doubt - but Stevie's rendition of Little Wing is the one that puts tears in my eyes.

I wonder if John Hammond did Little Wing. I love John Hammond - see him whenever I get the chance. John Hammond said Jimi did John Hammond better than John Hammond. :boggle:

Thanks for raising this topic Dale. I dug up some stuff I haven't listened to in a while. Blues was 70% of my library before I started playing the whistle. :D
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Oh! This guy is one of the best current roots blues artists I've heard. listen to D.B. Walker Band Podcast Episode 001.

http://www.dbwalker.com/podcast/podcast.html
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Wombat wrote:
Robert Johnson — King of the Delta Blues Singers
I was going to include that one, but I thought it was a given (really). For a guy who was killed by a hooker when he was quite young, he certainly has had a lasting impact on music. Thank God for Alan Lomax and John Hammond and portable recording equipment.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

The funny thing about Mississippi John Hurt is that he sounds less like a Mississippi bluesman than anybody else from that state. His style is really that of the songster and harks back to pre-blues traditions. None of the anguished vocals and humid rhythms of a Son House, Charlie Patton or Skip James. Just gentle good-natured singing and the simple but lyrical guitar style that just about every finger-style blues player should begin with.

If you aren't familiar with his original '20s recordings but know his Vanguard works, treat yourself to Yazoo's reissue of those cuts of Hurt in his prime.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Wombat wrote:The funny thing about Mississippi John Hurt is that he sounds less like a Mississippi bluesman than anybody else from that state. His style is really that of the songster and harks back to pre-blues traditions. None of the anguished vocals and humid rhythms of a Son House, Charlie Patton or Skip James. Just gentle good-natured singing and the simple but lyrical guitar style that just about every finger-style blues player should begin with.

If you aren't familar with his original '20s recordings but know his Vanguard works, treat yourself to Yazoo's reissue of those cuts of Hurt in his prime.
I wouldn't have known how to describe him, but he is real gentle, as you said, and almost sweet. I listened to some clips from that Okeh recording in 1928 at amazon and they were really nice. Just sort of bouncy and forging ahead. Creole Belle (on the recording dubh mentioned) is a good sweet gentle one.

You mentioned Son House. I had been listening to come clips of him this morning, trying to figure out what album I had years ago. Boy, there was a voice there. It really can give a person the shivers.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
chas wrote:John Lee Hooker -- Live at the Cafe a GoGo
J. L. Hooker is tops in my book. As is Muddy Waters, Lead Belly, B. B. King and let's certainly not forget to mention the King of the Delta Blues, Mr. Robert Johnson.
I'd add Howlin' Wolf to the group, I'd never heard of him until recently now he keeps showing up on blues collections where his songs end up my favorites. For example his "Evil" which you can find on Howlin' Wolf: His Best (Chess 50th Anniversary Collection).
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

It's all about Robert Johnson! I'm a huge fan of Skip James too though. Those two are in my top two list... of what I've heard thus far anyways.
Thanks for the recommendations, Dale.
Wombat

Re: The Greatest Blues Album Ever--A Post by Dale Wisely

Post by Wombat »

Dale wrote:Ok, it turns out to be a tie.

R. L. Burnside: "Burnside on Burnside"
Scott Dunbar: "From Lake Mary"

That is all.
I was curious to find out why Dale made such seemingly odd choices. So I decided to get the albums and find out for myself. (No, you haven't just discovered a marketing strategy that will always work on me. :P )

The Burnside turns out (to my ears) to be a fairly routine live set, played by a fairly routine electric blues band, probably in a fairly routine juke joint on a fairly ordinary saturday night. It's nice and sweaty and the rapport with the audience is there. Good, but, for me, a long way short of great.

The Scott Dunbar is something else entirely. Lovely, unpretentious slide guitar blues played very well but loosely in a back porch setting (literally.) Dunbar was nudging 70 at the time of the recording. He still hadn't lost something of the songster attitude and repertoire that would have been the norm when he was growing up. For me an utterly magical recording.

In a sense, the essence of the blues for those for whom it was originally recorded wasn't about making artistic works or lasting statements. It was about entertaining yourself and your family on the back porch at night and about entertaining the community in the juke joint on a saturday night. These records capture that essence as well as any, although I think a lot of commercial electric blues get the juke joint feel down as well as Burnside without actually having been made in one.

So I have one new record I regard as an absolute classic and another I like. I might grow to like it even better. Thanks, Dale.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Yup, I'm diggin' those Dunbar samples as well, thanks Dale.

So much good blues out there, so little spare cash :lol:

Loren
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

So no mention of Little Walter or Big Walter Horton, huh? Wassup with blues harp players then! Not that I'd know - I know nothing about blues anyway. Back to my hole.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

dubhlinn wrote: The only reason I ever had to learn the correct spelling of Mississippi.
M-I-crooked letter-crooked letter-I-crooked letter-crooked letter-I-humpback-humpback-I
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

SteveShaw wrote:So no mention of Little Walter or Big Walter Horton, huh? Wassup with blues harp players then! Not that I'd know - I know nothing about blues anyway. Back to my hole.
And Sonny Boy Williamson (Rice Miller) or Sonny Terry.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

I know alot of people would say this doesn't fit into the catagory of blues exactly-or maybe it does... but I don't even know if i'd want to take a catagory like the blues and say there was one greatest album; almost puts it in the 'Top 10 hitlist' group like they would do in Rolling stone magazine or something. -Anyway, very memorable to me would be 'Dr. John's Gumbo'. ---------another good one I like is Freddie King- Getting Ready.