"deep" and "full" irish music?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Perhaps Lunasa.

SteveK
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by SteveK »

I was listening to a CD of recently composed old time type tunes yesterday. Some of the tunes have a bass (plucked) and some have cello, either pluced or bowed. The tunes with the bowed cello sound fuller than any others. He was playing fairly long sustained notes but not a continuous drone on one note. A very nice effect. It makes the melody sort of "float" on a deep undercurrent.
djm

Post by djm »

The "drone" that Baglady refers to is a synthesizer. This person is looking for ITM with a big bass synthesizer "enhancement".

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

SteveK wrote:I was listening to a CD of recently composed old time type tunes yesterday. Some of the tunes have a bass (plucked) and some have cello, either pluced or bowed. The tunes with the bowed cello sound fuller than any others. He was playing fairly long sustained notes but not a continuous drone on one note. A very nice effect. It makes the melody sort of "float" on a deep undercurrent.
And the name of that CD is ___________________. :lol:
...................................................Fill in the blank!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
PallasAthena

Post by PallasAthena »

I can't say I know exactly what you're looking for as I've never heard the peices you are using as examples, but I thought I'd mention something anyway. Have you listened to much Scottish trad (I don't necessarily mean pipebands, but bands with multiple kinds of instruments as well)? In my experience (albeit limited experience) Scottish trad has a darker tone than Irish trad, or at least that is true of the Tanahill Weavers, where I first noticed the difference.
Baglady

Post by Baglady »

talasiga wrote:
Baglady wrote:It’s the drone. It is electronically enhanced on the Pipers Call CD but that is what you are hearing. Irish music, and much other traditional music, developed against a drone. That influenced the scales used. As the music moved from the pipes and harp the drone was lost and you don’t hear it much in the music today. A great loss in my opinion. Paddy Maloney didn’t play his drones or regulators through the first years of the Chieftains, and I have to admit I don’t listen much now so I don’t know if he plays them more now, but Paddy Keenan played his drones and you can hear quite a difference. I find it surprising that many musicians today find the drone annoying and don’t know how to listen to it.
What a surprising post indeed! :)
What's the surprise?
Baglady
Put the music under thier feet and lift them to the dance.
Oh, and,
"If you want to play chords, use standard tuning. It is better." --Martin Carthy
Il Friscaletto

Post by Il Friscaletto »

Hi Gabriel,

I personally think bass and percussion do have a place in contemporary ITM (oxymoron?). Although, an overall bassy sound my be a bit of a departure.

I recommend Josephine Marsh's album 'I Can Hear You Smiling'. It features double bass on most tracks. The sound is rich and current, yet undeniably trad. Besides, JM should be a part of every Irish music collection.

:)
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Cynth wrote:
SteveK wrote:I was listening to a CD of recently composed old time type tunes yesterday. Some of the tunes have a bass (plucked) and some have cello, either pluced or bowed. The tunes with the bowed cello sound fuller than any others. He was playing fairly long sustained notes but not a continuous drone on one note. A very nice effect. It makes the melody sort of "float" on a deep undercurrent.
And the name of that CD is ___________________. :lol:
...................................................Fill in the blank!

Sweet Nell. Do I win a prize? I guess you like fill in the blank exams rather than multiple choice. Here's a link. The bass plays on most tracks and the cello relatively few.

http://cdbaby.com/cd/adlerco
fiddleronvermouth

Post by fiddleronvermouth »

You might like the Riverdance soundtrack.

Click on that picture - there are MP3 samples at amazon.
"Is that stupid? Maybe. But that's the way I am."

~Bill O'Reilly, The O'Reilly Factor for Kids
Baglady

Post by Baglady »

See what I mean?
Baglady
Oh, and,
"If you want to play chords, use standard tuning. It is better." --Martin Carthy
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

You might like the Nomos album Set You Free. Then again, you might not.

I don't think this is what you want but Moving Hearts had an awesome bass player. Perhaps you should at least listen to their more Irish moments even if you don't like their jazzier stuff.
Baglady

Post by Baglady »

For proper full drone sound listen to this:

http://www.gnipc.org/tionol/2005/David_Powers.ram
Baglady
Oh, and,
fiddleronvermouth

Post by fiddleronvermouth »

Where can I get a set like this?

"Is that stupid? Maybe. But that's the way I am."

~Bill O'Reilly, The O'Reilly Factor for Kids
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

fiddleronvermouth wrote:Where can I get a set like this?

It's very "dairy".
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

Yes! My band, we often do that with whistle/flute or whistle/whistle duets- droning tonics and fifths with occasional flourishes, rather than an actual bass line- and it works very well. Gives a powerful sound to the music (even if it's just whistle/whistle with some percussion in the background). If someyear I ever manage to get myself a cello (those come after the bagpipes :P ), we'll apply that and see how it turns out.