Gotta Brag - Peacock Feathers Shawl

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Gotta Brag - Peacock Feathers Shawl

Post by Tyghress »

My latest knitting project. This was done with 4 oz (1260 yards) of Jaggerspun Zephyr laceweight yarn. It will be gifted to my eldest sister.

More pics here if you're interested!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

Oh, wow! That's really lovely, Tyghress! So delicate!
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Tyghress, that is just stupendously lovely. Congratulations on being able to do it and on actually finishing it. I think this must be the type of shawl I've read about that can be pulled through a wedding ring. It is really impossible to imagine only 4 ounces of yarn spread so finely. It is like a feather. What an accomplishment and how lucky your sister is! I'm sure it will be in your family for years and years.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Holy cow! That rocks!

But seriously (though I was being serious in a rather funky vernacular), it's quite beautiful.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Cynth, the wedding ring shawls are another category entirely! Maybe sometime in my life I will be able to do that level of work, but this isn't a shawl of that caliber.

This is knit in fine, two-ply laceweight yarn (50% silk, 50% merino I believe). The next level down is called cobweb. It's single ply and makes incredible, airy lace. But true wedding ring shawls are made from even finer yarn called gossamer, that can be only a few hairs plied together.

Also, the wedding ring shawls are 'true' lace -- patterning on every row. The Peacock Feathers Shawl has a pattern row, then a row that is just purled. It doesn't sound like a big difference, but it is much harder to knit lace patterns on every row!

This is the site that made me want to learn to knit.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Tyg! That is absolutely gorgeous! How long did it take for you to make it?
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Tyghress wrote:Cynth, the wedding ring shawls are another category entirely! Maybe sometime in my life I will be able to do that level of work, but this isn't a shawl of that caliber.

This is knit in fine, two-ply laceweight yarn (50% silk, 50% merino I believe). The next level down is called cobweb. It's single ply and makes incredible, airy lace. But true wedding ring shawls are made from even finer yarn called gossamer, that can be only a few hairs plied together.

Also, the wedding ring shawls are 'true' lace -- patterning on every row. The Peacock Feathers Shawl has a pattern row, then a row that is just purled. It doesn't sound like a big difference, but it is much harder to knit lace patterns on every row!

This is the site that made me want to learn to knit.
That is a very interesting website. I saw a pattern called Wedding Ring Shawl that is for ultra-experienced knitters! You know, I should think it could almost be a problem with yarn so fine actually catching on rough places on your fingers and the like. I wonder what a pure silk shawl would feel like? I've never handled any knitted item made of silk. Thank you for clarifying the levels of shawls. It just goes to show what your eye doesn't see if you haven't learned about something and tried to make it yourself. I think I've got a book on Shetland Shawls. I don't know if you are familiar with those Interweave Press books---I like them a lot even though I don't knit much from them. They have nice histories and pictures. I am sort of an arm chair knitter as with everything else. :lol:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Stunningly elegant. To think that a shawl of that size and complexity is made with just 4 oz of yarn! I can only imagine the skill and patience and love that went into it. You have every right to be proud.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Nice. :)
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

That is unbelieveably beautiful. I can only imagine the skill and patience needed to complete such a work of art.
Thanks for sharing this with us.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
emmline

Post by emmline »

:)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Lovely. An heirloom, to be sure. How long did it take to make it? Izz and I want to know. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Nanohedron wrote:Lovely. An heirloom, to be sure. How long did it take to make it? Izz and I want to know. :)
About six months. I'm a pretty slow knitter, and I took a break in there to finish a scarf. I've known skilled knitters who could do this project in a month of concentrated knitting.

Of the really fine yarns and the knitters of Shetland who produced shawls and stockings, gloves and veils and such, the knitters brought in 'real money' and were therefore exempted from farm labor in order to keep their hands smooth and able to handle gossamer without snagging it.

I use 'Glove in a Bottle' to minimize rough spots, and cuticle nippers to remove problems.
primenumber321

shawl

Post by primenumber321 »

Lovely! I'd love to work on something like that, as soon as I knit my first sweater. I have gauge issues. *sigh* Is that yarn as wispy as it looks? I'm trying to spin my yarns a little finer on the wheel. They're pretty bulky yet. :oops:
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Tyghress wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Lovely. An heirloom, to be sure. How long did it take to make it? Izz and I want to know. :)
About six months. I'm a pretty slow knitter, and I took a break in there to finish a scarf.
Knitted? :oops: I thought it had been crocheted.