i gotta brag about my kid--sorry ;)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

i gotta brag about my kid--sorry ;)

Post by Wanderer »

a pic is worth a thousand words..

he was getting frustrated today because he was having trouble adding some 3 digit numbers in his head, so I taught him long addition...I know his handwriting needs a little work, but we're working on that.

By the way, he's 5 and not in school yet ;)
emmline

Post by emmline »

pretty cool. My kid's 14 and barely has better handwriting.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

emmline wrote:pretty cool. My kid's 14 and barely has better handwriting.
My son is 16, and his handwriting is worse.

There's nothing better than to see a mind grow.

Have fun,
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

Oh, that is heart-rending. He looks like he's gettting it though. It's easy to forget that being little had its tough times. I like his hair :lol: .

He's supposed to add 3 digit numbers in his head? Who can do that? Is long addition when you carry numbers to the next column using paper and pencil? Sorry to distract from the main point here.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

So you are homeschooling your young'un, eh. Oh, yes, you already are... :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Cynth wrote:Oh, that is heart-rending. He looks like he's gettting it though. It's easy to forget that being little had its tough times. I like his hair :lol: .
Lol..he's got my cowlicks..he'll hate me for it when puberty strikes.
Cynth wrote:He's supposed to add 3 digit numbers in his head? Who can do that?
Me...:) But I couldn't do it at 5. He can do it, if there aren't too many places you 'carry the one', so I showed him how to do it on paper today to make it easier on him. He can add and subtract negative numbers, do basic multiplication, and has a general good grasp of math. We were playing the kid game of "I've got more" and he told me "I have a million points!" and I told him "But I have 2-thousand million points!" And he said "No..that's two BILLION". ;) I've started working on fractions with him, usually when we order pizza. He just loves numbers.
Is long addition when you carry numbers to the next column using paper and pencil? Sorry to distract from the main point here.

yup
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Is long addition when you carry numbers to the next column using paper and pencil? Sorry to distract from the main point here.

yup
Oh, okay, I know how to do that. I think I will skip the in my head part :lol: .

I completely missed the part that said he was 5 and not in school yet! Goodness, I was not doing any arithmetic at all at that age in my head or on paper. That's great that he is really interested in something like that.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Do you hold your pencil that way, Wanderer? Anybody else? Interesting. It looks like it would be difficult to control that way.

About the addition, Cynth . . . it can be difficult to add in your head if you try to do it the same way you do it on paper, i.e., adding the far-right column, carrying, adding the next column, carrying, etc.

It's a lot easier if you do it from the left, building a total as you go, like this:

649 + 223

600 + 200 = 800

49 + 23 = 50 + 22 = 72

Or, 649 + 200 = 849

849 + 1 = 850, then 22 more is 872

I'm math-impaired, so I have a lot of trouble doing this on paper. It's a lot easier this way. I can visualize little squares getting pushed together to form larger blocks. Seeing it that way gives me something to hold onto in my mind.

The other way, I lose track of what I'm doing and have to keep starting over and over, and it all seems utterly without meaning.
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Cynth wrote: I completely missed the part that said he was 5 and not in school yet! Goodness, I was not doing any arithmetic at all at that age in my head or on paper. That's great that he is really interested in something like that.
Lol, yeah, I was cracking the other day. I picked him up from daycare the other day, and asked him "Donovan..do you know what negative five minus negative two is?" and his daycare 'teacher' goes "Wow..he's doing fractions?!"

:boggle:
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Wanderer wrote:
Cynth wrote: I completely missed the part that said he was 5 and not in school yet! Goodness, I was not doing any arithmetic at all at that age in my head or on paper. That's great that he is really interested in something like that.
Lol, yeah, I was cracking the other day. I picked him up from daycare the other day, and asked him "Donovan..do you know what negative five minus negative two is?" and his daycare 'teacher' goes "Wow..he's doing fractions?!"

:boggle:
Oh dear! :lol: Perhaps you should homeschool!
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Lambchop wrote:Do you hold your pencil that way, Wanderer? Anybody else? Interesting. It looks like it would be difficult to control that way.
It is....he recently (like in the last 2 months) stopped fighting to hold the thing in the "hamfisted" manner, so we're making progress ;)

The way you describe math is pretty much how I do it in my head. I add (or subtract or whatever) "easier" round numbers, and then do a second, smaller and easier, addition subtraction to get where I want. It's a lot faster than doing right to left column math, too...but that's a skill he'll need..in like the fourth grade or something ;)
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Lambchop wrote: It's a lot easier if you do it from the left, building a total as you go, like this:

649 + 223

600 + 200 = 800

49 + 23 = 50 + 22 = 72

Or, 649 + 200 = 849

I'm math-impaired, so I have a lot of trouble doing this on paper. It's a lot easier this way. I can visualize little squares getting pushed together to form larger blocks. Seeing it that way gives me something to hold onto in my mind.

The other way, I lose track of what I'm doing and have to keep starting over and over, and it all seems utterly without meaning.
OMG -- Lambchop! there is someone else who adds like I do! I nearly flunked math for years and years, and didn't 'get it' until I was out of college. As soon as I got away from the drilled formulae we were taught and learned to think of numbers in my own way I became fascinated with math, mathematical recreation, and numbers as very cool things indeed!

Wanderer, your kid is spectacular!

Tyg
Last edited by Tyghress on Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Tyghress wrote:
Lambchop wrote: It's a lot easier if you do it from the left, building a total as you go, like this:

649 + 223

600 + 200 = 800

49 + 23 = 50 + 22 = 72

Or, 649 + 200 = 849

OMG -- Lambchop! there is someone else who adds like I do! I nearly flunked math for years and years, and didn't 'get it' until I was out of college. As soon as I got away from the drilled formulae we were taught and learned to think of numbers in my own way I became fascinated with math, mathematical recreation, and numbers as very cool things indeed!

Wanderer, your kid is spectacular!

Tyg
Oooh! People like me - high working memory vs. high bandwidth.
Last edited by dfernandez77 on Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Lambchop wrote:Do you hold your pencil that way, Wanderer? Anybody else? Interesting. It looks like it would be difficult to control that way.

About the addition, Cynth . . . it can be difficult to add in your head if you try to do it the same way you do it on paper, i.e., adding the far-right column, carrying, adding the next column, carrying, etc.

It's a lot easier if you do it from the left, building a total as you go, like this:

649 + 223

600 + 200 = 800

49 + 23 = 50 + 22 = 72

Or, 649 + 200 = 849

I've been adding like that since I was... adding?

I'm an odd bird when it comes to math. No math teacher has ever taught me anything. I always have to take the textbook home and stare at it until I figure it out on my own, and that means that sometimes I do things differently. It also means I've struggled with math since forever.

Now I'm an English/anthropology major and plan to avoid math for the rest of my mortal existence.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

That's very cool. Not just a cutie-pie, a smart cutie-pie.

P.S. Does that say, "There is no free lunch" at the bottom of his worksheet? Just curious. I didn't run across "TANSTAAFL" until I was, uh, just a bit older.
:wink: