The Movie I Enjoyed Tonight: A Post By Dale Wisely

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The Movie I Enjoyed Tonight: A Post By Dale Wisely

Post by Dale »

Neil Young: Heart of Gold. (Jonathan Demme, Director)
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I specifically remember saying to myself, "Congratulations, you need to see that Neil Young movie." It's good to see my instincts on the matter confirmed.

I recently saw Broken Flowers, and I must say--it's not all I'd wanted it to be. It was fine, but not splendiferous.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
djm

Post by djm »

I saw a preview of Heart of Gold and was put off. I'll rethink this if you really feel strongly about it. (maybe this will establish if our tastes are totally foreign)

A couple of films I really enjoyed lately were Memoirs of a Geisha and MirrorMask. Both are stunning visual feasts. I will be buying MirrorMask for sure.

Steve Martin's remake of The Pink Panther has a few good jokes in it; a return to his older style of physical comedy. While it is good that he makes no attempt to duplicate Peter Sellers, still, his version suffers in comparison.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

Anybody see the Prairie Home Companion movie? I wanted to check that one out.

J.
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

feadogin wrote:Anybody see the Prairie Home Companion movie? I wanted to check that one out.

J.
Not yet but I intend to.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Flyingcursor wrote:
feadogin wrote:Anybody see the Prairie Home Companion movie? I wanted to check that one out.

J.
Not yet but I intend to.
What? I wasn't aware that there was a movie called A Prairie Home Companion. This is especially distrubing to me as I grew up in Duluth Minnesota, and every morning I caught Garrison's morning show (of the same name) on MPR, thusly, I should've known about it.

I must be slipping into more senior moments as of late. :lol:

I have seen the trailers for Heart of Gold, and I have to say I am quite interested in buying that DVD. Niel's always been one of my favorite songwriters. And he's no slouch on the golf course either. :D
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

djm wrote:I saw a preview of Heart of Gold and was put off. I'll rethink this if you really feel strongly about it. (maybe this will establish if our tastes are totally foreign)
Well, I enjoyed it, but I can't say I feel strongly about it. It's a concert movie. It's shot well and the audio is excellent and Neil's in good voice--for Neil.

Dale
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:What? I wasn't aware that there was a movie called A Prairie Home Companion. This is especially distrubing to me as I grew up in Duluth Minnesota, and every morning I caught Garrison's morning show (of the same name) on MPR, thusly, I should've known about it.
Well, if you were still listening to PHC like a good little Minnesotan,
you'd know. They keep having Meryl Streep and Jon C Reilly on the
show to promote the movie. Lindsay Lohan is in the movie too, for
some reason. It has not gotten good reviews, but I'm going to see it
anyway. Perhaps it's because they cast Woody Harelson as Dusty
in Life of the Cowboys. Oh, my goodness! What in the world?? Lily Tomlin's in't, so it can't be all bad.
Last edited by fearfaoin on Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:[
I grew up in Duluth Minnesota, and every morning I caught Garrison's morning show (of the same name)
You grew up in Duluth? I lived there for a little while around 1970. There was a small river that ran down to the lake and there was a "swimming hole" complete with a little waterfall and rocks you could jump off into the water. The lake was too cold for swimming.

Oh, I haven't seen the Neil movie either.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Flyingcursor wrote:
You grew up in Duluth? I lived there for a little while around 1970. There was a small river that ran down to the lake and there was a "swimming hole" complete with a little waterfall and rocks you could jump off into the water. The lake was too cold for swimming.

If you are talking about the East side of Duluth, only one place comes to mind... Lester River Picnic Area. There are two other fave swimming places in that area. One is downstream at the railroad bridge, the other is upstream which locals call "The Deeps". The Deeps feature a nice waterfall, smallish pool and a cliff where there's a perch about 40 feet above the water, perfect for running and jumping. But you do want to RUN before jumping. If you fail to do so, you will not clear the underwater ledge that juts out about five feet from the cliff... at a depth of only 3 feet.... a bunch of young folk have been killed there from not running. :sniffle:
fiddleronvermouth

Post by fiddleronvermouth »

Dale, every time I see your new avatar, I mistake you for cranberry. What gives?
"Is that stupid? Maybe. But that's the way I am."

~Bill O'Reilly, The O'Reilly Factor for Kids
Flyingcursor

Post by Flyingcursor »

fiddleronvermouth wrote:Dale, every time I see your new avatar, I mistake you for cranberry. What gives?

I've made the same mistake.

JES, It wasn't too far from where we stayed which was near the lake. I do remember riding the little waterfall and also jumping off a big rock into the water. It seemed high but I was 11 at the time.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

fearfaoin wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:What? I wasn't aware that there was a movie called A Prairie Home Companion. This is especially distrubing to me as I grew up in Duluth Minnesota, and every morning I caught Garrison's morning show (of the same name) on MPR, thusly, I should've known about it.
Well, if you were still listening to PHC like a good little Minnesotan,
you'd know. They keep having Meryl Streep and Jon C Reilly on the
show to promote the movie. Lindsay Lohan is in the movie too, for
some reason. It has not gotten good reviews, but I'm going to see it
anyway. Perhaps it's because they cast Woody Harelson as Dusty
in Life of the Cowboys. Oh, my goodness! What in the world?? Lily Tomlin's in't, so it can't be all bad.
We get PHC on digital radio (BBC7) every Sunday morning here in the good ol' United States of Britain - unfortunately at 6am when I'm not always inclined to listen.

Also unfortunately we seem to be a few months behind on the shows.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Martin Milner wrote:We get PHC on digital radio (BBC7) every Sunday morning here in the good ol' United States of Britain - unfortunately at 6am when I'm not always inclined to listen.

Also unfortunately we seem to be a few months behind on the shows.
Sheesh! 6 a.m.? Silly Beeb. Never fear! Here you can find the show archives. You can crank up the computer speakers and listen at your convenience. The archive is slightly behind, but not bad -- today, e.g., the most recent show is that of last Saturday (June 10th).

:wink:
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

djm wrote:I will be buying MirrorMask for sure.
Mirrormask is quite good. I bought the DVD.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."